Kelsey mixing console

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
goldenechos
gettin' sounds

Kelsey mixing console

Post by goldenechos » Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:51 pm

Anybody familiar with these? This one is 24x4x2. The channel strips are in blocks of 4. There is a 3 band fixed EQ. 2 aux sends. Wood sides, padded arm rest.
All mic inputs are transformer balanced. All buss outs are transformer balanced.
Looks cool.
Is this board quality? What does it compare to.

tony

Hucklebeam
studio intern

Re: Kelsey mixing console

Post by Hucklebeam » Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:09 pm

There exist a article in a backissue of tape op where Wharton Tiers of Fun City studios talks about his Kelsey. Apparently these are worthy mixers.
May/June of 2000 no.17 is the issue with the article. I have a small kelsey that needs some TLC and I just haven't gotten around to it. Anyone else?
genre this!

goldenechos
gettin' sounds

Post by goldenechos » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:52 am

Hucklebeam wrote:I have a small kelsey that needs some TLC and I just haven't gotten around to it. Anyone else?
What does yours look like? Are the faders and pots of decent quality?

tony echos

chetatkinsdiet
buyin' a studio

Post by chetatkinsdiet » Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:00 am

It's Kelso boards that were designed by ex-Neve employees...right? Not these Kelsey's....someone?
Later,
m
The only true great mic on this planet is the Shure SM-57. It is the most consistant in not totally sucking of anything ever built. All other mics are "application dependant".

-- Fletcher

goldenechos
gettin' sounds

Post by goldenechos » Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:10 am

chetatkinsdiet wrote:It's Kelso boards that were designed by ex-Neve employees...right? Not these Kelsey's....someone?
Later,
m
The Kelso line is a neve product. This is a different affair. I know they were made in New Jersey (not far from NYC, which probably explains how Wharton Tiers came upon them). Most of the ones I have seen are very low quality 8x2 mixers that look like something that would be used in a school auditorium. This one that I am looking at is different... semi-modular design (4 channels per block), transformered inputs and master/buss output...

tony echos

chetatkinsdiet
buyin' a studio

Post by chetatkinsdiet » Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:26 am

Yeah, I've seen these Kelsey's at a few pawn shops and what not around here. They've got that early 70s look to them......large knobs w/ color inserts, etc. They actually remind me of a cross between a Peavey from the mid 70s and one of those Shure VocalMaster PA heads......haha....that's being pretty harsh. They might sound ok, they just look very modest.
later,
m
The only true great mic on this planet is the Shure SM-57. It is the most consistant in not totally sucking of anything ever built. All other mics are "application dependant".

-- Fletcher

rpowell
pluggin' in mics

Post by rpowell » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:08 pm

goldenechos wrote:Anybody familiar with these? This one is 24x4x2. The channel strips are in blocks of 4. There is a 3 band fixed EQ. 2 aux sends. Wood sides, padded arm rest.
All mic inputs are transformer balanced. All buss outs are transformer balanced.
Looks cool.
Is this board quality? What does it compare to.

tony
They were somewhat popular in the late '70's. One of the bands I worked with had, I think, the exact same console you describe, using it for live sound. The EQ section was more musical than the TAPCO and Biamp stuff of the time, but it definitely is not a high end piece. I can't fairly judge the sonic quality of the console, what with 25 years time lapse and the fact they were using Peavey CS 800's and SP-1's for rax & stax.

RP

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:28 pm

I 've heard of 'em but havent heard 'em..

maybe you can demo it somehow and see if you like it..

?

goldenechos
gettin' sounds

Post by goldenechos » Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:04 pm

BEARD_OF_BEES wrote:I 've heard of 'em but havent heard 'em..

maybe you can demo it somehow and see if you like it..

?
Too far away. It is not alot of money for a 24 input board... but then if it is not usable then it is a waste of money. I just do not want to end up with something that has no headroom and a good loud buzzy hum to boot!

tony echos

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:13 pm

understandable..you should call up fun city and ask Wharton how they are..

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:28 pm

I had one of these as part of my band's "touring rig" for several years. It wasn't very noisy as the power supply was external, which was nice. Sounded okay, did the job...with our Peavey CS800s, CD400s and Alesis Midiverb and SP1 speakers...the EQ was usable for live stuff, they had a really strange way of routing effects...it came with its own road case, which was nice. I don't know what happened to that board.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

supafuzz
carpal tunnel

Post by supafuzz » Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:39 am

my new cd was mixed and mastered at FUN CITY on that kelsey board.

Wharton totally put a ton of time and $$ in getting the Kelsey where he wanted it and told me if he had to do it over would have just gotten a different board..

the board sounds great but remember it's had extensitve work done on it...

His is the clubmaster model..they are not all created equal some kelseys are crap..

I would steer clear
Super 70 Studio.. Never tell a perfectionist that the mix is perfect!

http://www.super70studio.com
http://www.facebook.com/Super70Studio

now in glorious HD3

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:13 am

I think somebody asked about Kelsey over at Prosoundweb a few months ago, and the general consensus was "sucks". Might want to go over to the R/E/P forums and do a search.

goldenechos
gettin' sounds

Post by goldenechos » Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:46 am

supafuzz wrote:Wharton totally put a ton of time and $$ in getting the Kelsey where he wanted it and told me if he had to do it over would have just gotten a different board..

the board sounds great but remember it's had extensitve work done on it...
I think you are telling me what I needed to hear... I kind of suspected, but was not willing to admit, that the only way something like this console is going to sound good is with alot of mods and refurbing. None of which I am up for right now. Here is the link if any of you are interested. Lotsa photos...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW

Sure does look cool (in that Black Ark Studios kinda way). If it were 1/3 the price I would just take a chance on it...

tony echos

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:09 am

I saw one of these in the trash on a sidewalk here in Brooklyn.
I passed on it, it just looked like a hunk of 70's crap. I mean everyone rags on Mackies but we must have come along way, I think todays budget mixers are way above crappy 70's mid-price stuff. Thank god-