So, I got to work in a "real" studio ...

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Bear
deaf.

Re: So, I got to work in a "real" studio ...

Post by Bear » Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:57 pm

cgarges wrote:
Bear wrote:But my point was not so much to folks like yourself, who do this professionally. It was more to the people who don't have access to nice gear. And I think even you can agree that all this stuff is really awesome, but it isn't needed to record music. As long as you have a mic and a 4-track, you can make something. Something with the same sonic qualities and beautiful sounds? ... no, maybe not. But wonderful records are made on junk, so don't let junk stop you. Or whatever.
True. And I wish more people would embrace this than argue the semantics of things otherwise. (How do I get the snare drum sound from the "X" record with a $49 condenser mic and $2000 worth of gear?) I guess I just get sick of all the "yeah, fuck spending money in a 'real studio' " posts that seem to pop up here often, usually from people who've not spent much time recording in a real studio or with an experienced and client-friendly engineer. I realize your post wasn't like that, by the way. I just thought I'd point out some good reasons to utilize a "real studio" for those people who might or might not see the value.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Understandable. Studios have lots of value, and because of the boom in home recording, a lot of people are acting as though they're unnecessary or a waste of money. Not true at all. If anything, I can now see what these places can do, and it's a lot under the right hands. But people must also keep in mind that 1). Not all music needs a studio. Records have been made on 4-tracks that, in many ways, couldn't have sounded better for the material. But then again, some people home record their work, and it just sounds like a pale imitation of a studio record. Depends on the stuff. 2). Some people genuinely can't afford to work in studios (myself included ... this is more of a freak thing). But that shouldn't make them give up, in my eyes. Work with what you have, and you'll probably surprise yourself if you work at it enough.

That being said, here's the gear list from this place. If anyone wants to give me some tips (there are too many mics for me to really get to know in the amoutn of time we'll be there), I'm putting together a notebook, for when I go back for more tracking I'll have a better idea of what everything does, or at least a starting point on such.

Mics:

2 Royer 121s
2 Re20's
2 Blueberries
2 Blue Bottles
1 Blue Kiwi
1 Blue Dragonfly
1 Blue Cactus
2 DPA 4011
Sennheiser 441
2 Nuemann km184s
1 Nuemann m149
2 TLM 103s
2 Special Edition Gold Plated U-87s
1 Nuemann Binaural Head
1 Collector's edition Microtech Geffell Gmbh (no. 23 of the 75 that were made)
1 AKG c12
2 AKG 414's
2 Earthworks QTC1s
1 Shure KSM 32
2 Sony C-800s
1 Shure 520 DX
1 "Manley Reference Gold Mic"
1 d112
2 Shure drum Mic Kits
2 AEA R84s
And a shitload of Shures and Senns.

Pres, Comps and EQs:

API 3124
3 Avalon 2022s
2 Focusrite quads
Earthworks 1024
Manley Preamp
Manley Compressor "Variable-Mu"
3 Pultec EQs
Manley EQ "Massive Passive"
2 UA 1176s
NEVE 9098 EQ
AML 8200 EQ
2 Distressors
A Fatso Jr.
Smart Research C2 Compressor
Tube Tech Compressor CL1b
Millenia STT1
TC Electronics TC Icon RS 6000 reverb
Sony Sampling Reverb Dre-5777

I'm all ears in terms of tips or starting points on any of this gear. After the ten mics I played with the last time, the Blueberry, the Re20 and the Dragonfly stodd out the most, and I loved the distressors. They sounded ace for what we were tracking. BUt I've only read about maybe half of this gear, so yeah. Advice would be grand, if you've got it.
I am wangtacular.

Bear
deaf.

Post by Bear » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:30 am

Rigsby wrote:Congrats bear.

Your last comment is so right. A guy i used to know when i was still digi-eight-tracking had all this gear and he'd be like 'i'm going to really make some music when i've got this new whatsit and then i'll need a blahblah and a zingle and then i can start getting things down' and then he'd ask me how i managed to get such inventive beats, and i was biting my lip, trying not to say, 'y'know, i just spend a lot of time doing it, put the work in, you're an idiot, start recording, i've got one mic and an eight-track and you're sitting here with all this stuff gathering dust and wondering how i do my beats when it's clear that the only way something happens is if you do it'. Clearly i just used to smile and say very little but i found it really bizarre, i'd go round his house and we'd sit there looking at his stuff just sitting there.

Anyway, have a ball!
I had something similar happen. I was making music with a playstation (I got this MTV music maker thing at Target for $10), a mini-casio keyboard, an acoustic guitar and a Rode Nt1, and I had some people ask me how I got the sounds ... but they had better and cooler tools at their disposal. They just weren't using them. I think I have one of those songs on my ftp ... yeah ... Here. None of the sounds are amazing or anything, and they could definitely sound a lot better, but they're listenable, and I more or less did it with what was lying around at the time. These people had cooler stuff lying around.
I am wangtacular.

Disasteradio
pushin' record

Post by Disasteradio » Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:12 am

just happened to be listening to Purple Rain (the song) whilst reading your original post bear. totally epic.

I've been quite satisfied at what I'm doing with just softsynths lately and this kinda uh, reassured me.

cyrusjulian
takin' a dinner break

Post by cyrusjulian » Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:18 am

Hi Bear!

Just wanted to say that I really dig the song. Keep up the good work! Do you think you would have been able to make the song sound that way had you recorded it at home though? I've been recording at home for years now and I totally agree with you on your initial post. However, I also think that once you release something to the public, it's those little differences that you get from a profesional studio that make an album magical. Out of all the songs that have truly changed my life and affected me, I'd say that 99% were recorded at a professional studio.

Just my two cents...
Cyrus

Bear
deaf.

Post by Bear » Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:43 am

Disasteraudio wrote:just happened to be listening to Purple Rain (the song) whilst reading your original post bear. totally epic.

I've been quite satisfied at what I'm doing with just softsynths lately and this kinda uh, reassured me.
Purple Rain gives me a boner. When I saw him live, I sang my ass off to that song. And being satisfied is fucking ace. Run with it.
cyrusjulian wrote:Hi Bear!

Just wanted to say that I really dig the song. Keep up the good work! Do you think you would have been able to make the song sound that way had you recorded it at home though? I've been recording at home for years now and I totally agree with you on your initial post. However, I also think that once you release something to the public, it's those little differences that you get from a profesional studio that make an album magical. Out of all the songs that have truly changed my life and affected me, I'd say that 99% were recorded at a professional studio.

Just my two cents...
Cyrus
Well, I did record the song at home (with relatively poopie gear), if you're reffering to the one I posted up above. So "yes" would be my answer. Thanks for the compliment.

But I think I'm much more 50/50 about the records that I love. Some were done in studios, but plenty were not. It's more about the material than where it was done for me.
I am wangtacular.