Won a ECOPLATE reverb!

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
lsn110
steve albini likes it

Won a ECOPLATE reverb!

Post by lsn110 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:17 am

OK...I'm gonna be the kid who goes...lookit what I got.

I won me an ECOPLATE II on eBay and will be driving to Ithaca (hi inverseroom) next week to pick it up.

Anyone who has a plate have any tips on how to isolate it from vibration. I have some unused Auralex that I may build it up on. Also, can I keep it vertical or does it have to be horizontal.

As it stands, I'm not quite sure where it's going to live. If there's enough room, I'm going to put it behind the projection TV that came with my house (another story for another time). Otherwise it's going under the stairs in the closet. After I've properly set it up of course.

I'm psyched.

Paul

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Re: Won a ECOPLATE reverb!

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:42 am

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW

You lucky son-of-a.....
Congrats!
Plate is where it's AT man. I hope you'll post some files on this thread when you gets it hooked up!

Keep it vertical and put it on some 2X4's with large rubber washers between them and stick it behind your client couch or something.

lsn110
steve albini likes it

Post by lsn110 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:50 am

I didn't post until I won because I would have had to given it to inverseroom. After all it's IN his town...

Vertical is good. Rubber washers..great idea. I actually have access to a ton of mousepads...that might work.

I'll see once I get it where I can fit it.

Client couch... har har. I do have a La-Z-Boy in front of the pellet stove. You're in LA, you wouldn't understand the hella cold it's been here the last 2 days.

And yeah...I can post some big wet sloppy plate when I get it wired.

grinning ear to ear,
paul

obermorph
gettin' sounds

Post by obermorph » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:46 am

Make sure you put it in another room where no one will be walking by or turning the vacuum on etc.
I just remember being a kid, and the clean up/intern kid at my dads studio as a child, and then being yelled at when I walked into the storage hallway to get my broom and mop.....being that they could here me talk or if I bumped into it :cry:

Mix413
buyin' gear

Post by Mix413 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:50 am

Get in touch with Jim Cunningham for moving prep instructions. You can damage the driver and pickups if not done properly. Jim is THE man when it comes to plates. He designed the one you bought.

His email: fugal@att.net
Estudio Ensenada
Rincon, Puerto Rico
https://www.facebook.com/estudio.ensenada.PR/

lsn110
steve albini likes it

Post by lsn110 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:45 am

John Noll wrote:Get in touch with Jim Cunningham for moving prep instructions.
Thanks John!

I will do that.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:05 pm

Damn! I would be installing it in my basement right now! :wink:

I wonder who the seller is...

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:44 pm

I won an EMT stereo tube plate reverb on Ebay about 6 months ago. (for $700!) The plate was in Jersey just a few minutes away. I did all the research about how to secure the internal plate, bought the iron pipes that fit through holes in the frame to form handles, and hired a moving company to meet me at the studio. EMTs are almost 400 pounds and over 4' x 8' x 20".

The studio was losing it's lease r/t the building turning condo.

The moving company arrived and they tried every exit for an hour until it became clear: THE FUCKING THING WOULD NOT FIT THROUGH THE DOORWAYS!! When the building was being renovated they installed 6" of fireproof brick work in all the stairwells. That reduced the size just enough that it couldn't fit out the door.

It killed me to leave it there. The guy I won it from was trying to talk me into completely dissassembling it but it was WAY too complicated for me. He ended up refunding my money and I think parted it out himself later.

The stereo tube preamp in the thing was frightening it was so beautiful. I'm very bummed...

I actually saw this auction earlier this week and considered bidding but the last experience has me a bit gunshy. Plus my VISA card is struggling under the weight of buying the components of a DAW and an Apogee Rosetta 800 in the last two weeks. I'm so psych'd. I hope to assemble it this weekend.

Frost
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Frost » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:45 am

most of the good ones Ive seen had eyeholes in the top which hung it suspended from a pipe frame or heavy duty ceiling anchors using forged rather than bent eye bolts. Most used aircraft cable to suspend it from.

Frost

lsn110
steve albini likes it

Post by lsn110 » Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:35 am

Well...mine's going in the laundry room (no agitating while I'm mixing...Though I'll have to hear what that sounds like).

I've also spoken with Jim Cunningham. I don't have the email he sent handy, but I'll post his recommendations later on moving the plate if anyone's interested.

FWIW...I've decided to rent a cargo van. It'll be much safer to move it with that.

Thanks all.

Paul

standup
re-cappin' neve

Post by standup » Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:08 am

Good for you. I've got an Ecoplate III in my spare bedroom/control room. So far no huge issues for lack of isolation.

The III was the low-end plate, it's 4x6 or so, and light enough to move by hand.

You can upgrade the pickups--I think Jim Cunningham is the guy to talk to about that. Haven't done it.

I use the Eco III somewhere on just about everything, but it's a quirky sound. Kind of an instant bathroom. The Eco III is not adjustable, "Never needs tuning!" Ya know, ya just can't tune it. I'm told

Enjoy!
lsn110 wrote:Well...mine's going in the laundry room (no agitating while I'm mixing...Though I'll have to hear what that sounds like).

I've also spoken with Jim Cunningham. I don't have the email he sent handy, but I'll post his recommendations later on moving the plate if anyone's interested.

FWIW...I've decided to rent a cargo van. It'll be much safer to move it with that.

Thanks all.

Paul

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:36 am

Hey Paul,
Did you hook this monster up yet?
When do we get a taste?
Cheers,
Raymond

lsn110
steve albini likes it

Post by lsn110 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:00 am

It's in....I haven't done anything special to tune it, but I love the sound as is. Sadly when I first got it, I set the input incorrectly (-10 instead of +4). Let's just say I overloaded it .

I shut it off very quickly though there was a small puff of smoke (eeeek!) that came out of the electronics.

Because I have no common sense, I tried it an hour later at the correct setting, and it sounded great.

I was actually going to go into the electronics this weekend to see what I fried so that I can make a digikey order.

I'll record some mono drums (played badly by me) and post samples this weekend. I'd do vocals (which has been my favorite use thus far), but I don't think anyone should have to hear my naked vocals.

Paul

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:03 pm

keep your clothes on for sure, but congrats on getting it hooked up, can't wait to hear it man!

sloanfiske
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by sloanfiske » Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:27 pm

rad...can i come over and play
my parents drove it up from the bahamas

really

not really...the bahamas are islands