Making beats? (yea i have a lotttttttttttttt of free time)

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
TrumpsHair
buyin' gear

Re: Making beats? (yea i have a lotttttttttttttt of free tim

Post by TrumpsHair » Sat Dec 25, 2004 6:12 pm

I've had my MPC 1000 for about 9 months. I'm making beats, and that's not even why I got it. I just wanted to sample stuff, effects and percussion. It makes it so easy to make beats, you can't even believe you did it. It helps to have expanded memory, which is easy to get.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Sun Dec 26, 2004 1:26 pm

get the 1000. trimming samples on the computer is so so much better. making beats on an mpc is so so much better. best of both. If you want to make noisy stuff, consider loading your computer with audiomulch. it's made for live sound fuckupization. you can send your mpc through the computer live and you wont believe the results. it runs fine on older computers and only costs 50 bucks. plus, the 1000 can be used to control any sound module via midi out.

No one has really mentioned the tritons. they are as nice as everyone seems to think they are. good sounds (all manner), decent synthesis and a really nice sequencer.

that said, I saw a fella at brownies(?) in nyc DESTROYING it with a zoom drum machine, a rat distortion pedal and an SK-1. unreal. This is tape op ya know.

will

ryangobie
steve albini likes it

Post by ryangobie » Sun Dec 26, 2004 2:33 pm

i dunno, i'd kinda wanna stray away from computers as much as possible...aside from the trimming, but the 1000 sounds pretty legit...8 outs would be nice though....but yeah...the beats will be hip hop beats...kinda...i've been digging that faust/dalek collaboration...it's pretty sick...but yeah...i just want it to barely, hmmm, was never good at articulating myself...hahaha...

thanks all...any other ideas
weeeee

japmn
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by japmn » Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:19 pm

If you have't really done much sequencing in the past I would suggest a software sequencer over hardware.
something simple like froot loops or if you are feeling randy, reason.
both are very versitile and expandable and fairly affordable. (or free you thief)
easy to learn and fun.
both offer beats and more.

the japmn

Jesse Skeens
takin' a dinner break

Post by Jesse Skeens » Sun Dec 26, 2004 9:48 pm

lonesome_tone wrote:The MPC is both sequencing and sampling in one, and where it really shines, IMHO, is the timing. The 60/60II have analog filters as well IIRC.
disks.

I'm 99% sure there mpc60 does not have analog filters. You might be thinking of the emu sp12/sp1200 series instead. Either that or the linn 9000.

ryangobie
steve albini likes it

Post by ryangobie » Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:52 am

japmn wrote:If you have't really done much sequencing in the past I would suggest a software sequencer over hardware.
something simple like froot loops or if you are feeling randy, reason.
both are very versitile and expandable and fairly affordable. (or free you thief)
easy to learn and fun.
both offer beats and more.

the japmn

i did some stuff in digital performer recently for school...and i've dabbled in frooty loops or whatever it's called (i think thats right)...so i've messed around before

i think i'm going to look into an MPC

edit:since i don't really have a banging computer or anything would it be worth it to get the mpc 1000 with the USB or get the 2000 with the 8 outs instead...any comments on that...i mean this comp is many years old and on it's last leg
weeeee