Making beats? (yea i have a lotttttttttttttt of free time)

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
ryangobie
steve albini likes it

Making beats? (yea i have a lotttttttttttttt of free time)

Post by ryangobie » Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:34 am

yeah...i've been thinking of getting some stuff so i can make beats...real noisey and droney stuff...but i was wondering what i'd need really...i'm sure someone out there does this...i see those MPCs everywhere but i used the search and found mixed reviews on them...mainly that they don't have a enough memory for some applications...so, yeah...anyone?
weeeee

sonikbliss
buyin' a studio

Re: Making beats? (yea i have a lotttttttttttttt of free tim

Post by sonikbliss » Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:49 am

You need to decide whether you want a hardware sequencer (MPC, Triton) or a software setup on your computer (DP, Logic). I would get a good MIDI keyboard controller and if your not comfortable programming drums on the keyboard (I know I don't like it) also get a MIDI controller with some good pads to beat on (this is where the MPC really shines). Get yourself some MIDI sound modules (Roland JV 2080 is older but pretty badass for the money)(software ones are generally cheaper but will tax your CPU pretty hard so you need a fast computer), a software sampler (or hardware though software's cheaper), a good sequencing\recording software program and you're all set to go. Granted this can all get very expensive but you didn't list a price range so there ya go. :wink:

citystate
takin' a dinner break

Post by citystate » Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:59 am

i think that the most important thing in beat making is finding something that will help your workflow. if you have an idea or a feel for a beat, you need to get it out as quickly as possible.

here's my situation: i am a drummer and i have reason and a midi keyboard. crazy amounts of sounds, tons of ways to manipulate the sounds, all in my powerbook. i swear i want to poke my eyes out every time i open reason. i can play a beat on the kit but just cannot get it to hit the way i want in reason. i bought an mpc2000xl and it works for me. i love the feeling of the pads, the feel of the sequencer, the general layout is very intuitive. i was thinking of selling it for the akai drum controller, but i realized that i would like to avoid looking at a screen as much as i can.

just as with any other part of recording, the 'limitations' of an mpc vs. computer might help if you use it right and improve your skills.

either way, i would highly recommend programming your drums on akai pads, either built into an mpc or get the usb mpd16 controller. the pads on a microkorg are not even close even though they look similar.

you could also try the new mpc1k, it hooks up to your computer via usb so you can drag samples really easily. the hard part about my mpc2kxl is that it has a 250 zip but i don't have that on my computer so i have to trim samples on the mpc.

ryangobie
steve albini likes it

Post by ryangobie » Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:28 am

i mean, living in jersey...craigslist is totally flooded with various MPCs...and i think i'd be better at programming drums on pads rather than a keyboard (anyone see that movie of that dude playing the creative keyboard thing...that dudes sick) but what are the pros and cons of the different models...i have an ensoniq sampler/sequencer keyboard deally i got for free but it's not working, it works off floppys and such, but that might help if i get it up and running but i think i'd only need maybe one or two sound modules...i mainly wanna work with found sounds and circuit bending and stuff...more live stuff...

well, even to get more basic...computers vs hardware...anyone use both? prefences...i used digital performer this last semester in a music tech class i took...it was ok but something didn't feel right about sitting at a computer...i kinda like turning knobs and stuff...would a healthy balance of both be the best? that mpc with the usb hookup sounds nice as trimming samples down to loops and stuff is pretty easy on a computer, but mine is kinda beat...
weeeee

citystate
takin' a dinner break

Post by citystate » Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:38 am

which keyboard do you have? is it the asr-10?

i think that an mpc2000xl with the 250zip is fine in terms of memory. if you want to trim stuff on the computer, go for the 1000. plus the 1000 uses compact flash cards that store a ton of sounds.

i like my 2kxl because it has 8 outs that i can run thru my board.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:43 am

i like battery..battery and midi controler pads would be pretty sweet..imho

but i hardly do this sort of thing..

phait
takin' a dinner break

Post by phait » Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:23 pm

Is there a controller that has maybe an octave or 2 of keys and a set of nice pads? Seems Roland is the first to implement pads with a keyboard (or at least workstation..) but what about a portable option?

Me, I prefer drumming on synth-action keys. Probably cause the pads on my Fantom-S aren't that great.

ryangobie
steve albini likes it

Post by ryangobie » Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:28 pm

citystate wrote:which keyboard do you have? is it the asr-10?

i think that an mpc2000xl with the 250zip is fine in terms of memory. if you want to trim stuff on the computer, go for the 1000. plus the 1000 uses compact flash cards that store a ton of sounds.

i like my 2kxl because it has 8 outs that i can run thru my board.

how do you use the 8 outs?
weeeee

hogfish
steve albini likes it

Post by hogfish » Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:12 pm

i have been using stylus RMX on a mac
with logic and the Korg Micro control
(has pads like an MPC,a 37 key mini
keyboard,and 8 sliders and 8 rotary
encoders) it blows MPCs out the box,
and is way more versatile for live use...there are cheaper ways to go
tho.......

stevebozz
gettin' sounds

Post by stevebozz » Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:35 pm

Has anyone used one of these?

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-AKA-MPD16.html

I'd like to use the control pads of an MPC with my computer, is this my best bet? What software is best to run as a digital sampler?
Steve

-- Chief City Recordings | www.chiefcity.com
-- BOZZmedia | www.bozz1.com

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:42 pm

hogfish wrote:i have been using stylus RMX on a mac
with logic and the Korg Micro control
(has pads like an MPC,a 37 key mini
keyboard,and 8 sliders and 8 rotary
encoders) it blows MPCs out the box,
and is way more versatile for live use...there are cheaper ways to go
tho.......

Yeah me too. Stylus RMX is really cool.
I also use the LinPlug RM3 VST drum machine with Nuendo.
It's really simple to setup.
It works great. I also have a huge collection of samples.
And I try to quickly sample single hits of whatever kits come through the studio every once in a while.

andyg666
re-cappin' neve

Post by andyg666 » Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:34 pm

you can use an MPC as a midi controller for your computer too. so you can rock something like cubase SX and use the MPC to program the beats but use your computer to trigger the sounds with something like battery or some other software sampler. i like the feel of the mpc for tapping out beats. plus for some it is very intuitive as a sequencer...

ryangobie
steve albini likes it

Post by ryangobie » Sat Dec 25, 2004 8:35 am

i looked at that korg microKontrol and that looks pretty legit as a midi controller...but midi has nothing to do with sound, it's just gesture data...like the mpc has those pads but you're triggering samples in it and sequencing it...so if i get the korg for example, i'd need a sequencer and a sampler too?
weeeee

lonesome_tone
takin' a dinner break

Post by lonesome_tone » Sat Dec 25, 2004 11:56 am

The MPC is both sequencing and sampling in one, and where it really shines, IMHO, is the timing. The 60/60II have analog filters as well IIRC.

Ryan, you didn't really explain what kind of beats you're looking to make. But if it's in a hip hop direction, as opposed to a techno direction, you absolutely have to consider the MPC. It's the standard by miles, and for good reason. Dj Shadow's Entroducing was done on one MPC 60II, and lots of floppy disks.

inhumentor
gettin' sounds

Post by inhumentor » Sat Dec 25, 2004 6:06 pm

If it is an ASR we had on of those at my school and it was pretty fun to play with. I heard the fans on those have a tendency to die. If your feeling like being a little geeky I'd check out PD. It's a freeware version of Max/MSP. I've not played with it but have heard it's comparable. You could make your own custom sampler on your computer for free... or for the time it takes to figure the software out that is... Then you gotta think about bringing your whole computer to wherever the rocking is going down though... rock... I like ellipses.

I realise that half what I just typed was not based entirely on personal experience so I wouldn't pay to much attention to me..
Keep on Rockin