keeping cables organized....

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
the solvents
audio school graduate

keeping cables organized....

Post by the solvents » Sat Dec 25, 2004 4:44 pm

this is so hard for me....and i allways let get so bad that at some point before recording, i spend an hour untangling....anybody feel me?
http://www.myspace.com/thesolvents
much cheaper than some crappy website!

inhumentor
gettin' sounds

Re: keeping cables organized....

Post by inhumentor » Sat Dec 25, 2004 5:45 pm

I recently got a bunch of cable ties, and do the over/under cable wrap thing. That said I still end up getting things tangled every once in a while. That's a good sign for me though, cause it means I'm actually working.. or playing which is to say rocking. um, yeah.
Keep on Rockin

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Sat Dec 25, 2004 5:52 pm

I really regret it when I don't wrap cables up properly, because the next gig, I'm standing in a sea of spaghetti, looking like a nitwit, or looking like a nitwit who's trying not to look like a nitwit.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

the solvents
audio school graduate

Post by the solvents » Sat Dec 25, 2004 8:49 pm

i had these people over to record the other day and i had to fuck around with cords for like 30 minutes...luckly they were friends.....and they needed some time to practice anyway
http://www.myspace.com/thesolvents
much cheaper than some crappy website!

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Sat Dec 25, 2004 8:59 pm

I like to hang them on hooks on the wall. Keeps 'em out of the way, and you can have different hooks for different types of cable.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sat Dec 25, 2004 11:30 pm

I don't have space for wall hooks, though I had 'em in the basement studio years back...a good idea. I keep mine in the bowling locker, in a pile, but they're all cable-tied so there's very little tangling.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Sat Dec 25, 2004 11:41 pm

Yep, cable ties here too. I'd like to use some hooks but i record in our lounge and despite my girlfriend's support (letting me drill holes through the wall so i can isolate fan noise, having instruments everywhere, having to stay out of just about every room as i'm recording in there etc etc) i don't think she's going to think that's asthetically pleasing.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

FNM
takin' a dinner break

Post by FNM » Sun Dec 26, 2004 12:03 am

I had this problem too, untill about a week ago, I went to Lowes looking for a shitload of industrial twist ties, that would in essence be disposable. Couldn't find 'em, so I ended up getting these little velcro wraps that seem like they were made for the job.

I was taught the over under wrap thing, but I always hated it.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Dec 26, 2004 1:01 am

I like to use theatrical "tie line", that woven black cord. You can put silicone caulk on the ends to keep them from fraying. Or Velcro ties, those are fine too.

Especially for live sound, I tend to run the cables carefully and coil up the excess like an old-time sailor, everything very neat and hidden behind gear where possible. It not only looks better, but musicians tend to behave better because they see that I'm on top of everything.

tactics
steve albini likes it

Post by tactics » Sun Dec 26, 2004 3:26 am

FNM wrote:I had this problem too, untill about a week ago, I went to Lowes looking for a shitload of industrial twist ties, that would in essence be disposable. Couldn't find 'em, so I ended up getting these little velcro wraps that seem like they were made for the job.

I was taught the over under wrap thing, but I always hated it.
The velcro wraps are fantastic for all leads.Get some and save yourself a heap of time.
cleantone wrote:
Microphone Case, Black, Plastic N/A $30.00
What is this case like? I've been thinking about getting one.

standup
re-cappin' neve

Post by standup » Sun Dec 26, 2004 6:07 am

On gigs I put cables in ziploc freezer baggies. No tangles, and quick to deal with.

The recording stuff is in piles on the floor. I need to put in some wall hooks or somethin'.

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Sun Dec 26, 2004 9:19 am

another vote for velcro ties. i use them to bundle all my power cables coming from my rack gear. I've just come to accpet that in the heat of battle, I'm gonna have some cable mess, but I try to minimize it by keeping any cables that aren't necessary for immediate use wrapped and out of the way.
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

kenl666
ass engineer

Post by kenl666 » Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:55 am

The velcro wraps are excellent, Fry's has some neon-green ones which are easy to keep track of.

I even keep a box of zip ties near the cable box, they're quick and I just cut them off (note: be carefule cutting them off, I use wire cutters instead of a knife).

My motto: anyone placing an unwrapped cable in storage will be garrotted with said cable.

Devlars
re-cappin' neve

Post by Devlars » Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:38 pm

I'm a big stickler when it comes to recording gear of any sort (okay everything not just recording gear but especially so). Everything in it's place and a place for everything...I hate messes and unkept working spaces so my cables are always in proper wrapped condition when not in use. When they are in use I wrap up the excess and keep it out of the way much the same as Scodiddly.

It does help give a visual signal to bands that I am working with (or my own band for that matter) that I am an organized, detailed and meticulous individual which in turn usually keeps them on their toes, "don't f**k around with this guys stuff, just play your parts!"
"Yes, you're very smart. Now shut up."
-Peter Falk
Speakerphone
Rexrode Records

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:42 pm

I use computer labels -- I got a big box of them when my dad retired. They're about 2 inches by 1 inch or so, with stick-em on one side. I twist them around the end of the cable, and with a felt marking pen, I write where the cable is going and where it's coming from. I also do the same with my A/C cables. My whole studio is labled like that and it's been a real big help.