The eleven worst songs of 2004

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
east3rdst
gettin' sounds

The eleven worst songs of 2004

Post by east3rdst » Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:31 pm

Sort of Off Topic, but also very, very On Topic

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=11worst

Try not to pee yourself.
Donny Cooper

Kilroy
buyin' gear

Re: The eleven worst songs of 2004

Post by Kilroy » Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:52 pm

you should see that guys other stuff, its kinda funny

http://maddox.xmission.com/c.cgi?u=chappelle

J.B.Horns
pushin' record

Post by J.B.Horns » Sun Dec 26, 2004 9:22 pm

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:56 pm

Best line of the whole thing:
Maybe U2 wouldn't suck so hard if they stopped preaching and started rocking instead. Of course, that's difficult to do with Sepultura holding a near monopoly on all things that rock.

Antero
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Antero » Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:12 am

How the hell could he mention "Vertigo" and not discuss the disgrace that is the ironic-I-guess-but-still-too-stupid-to-excuse opening count of "uno, dos, tres, catorce"?
I hate my species.
Spatata
Chuckie Anvil

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:40 am

Hmm. I like "Vertigo," and it seems to me that all this guy can find to complain about is a bunch of TV commercials, hype, and fan comments. If he would turn off his fucking television for ten minutes and quit caring so much about what other people think, he might find the personal courage to actually form opinions about music based on what it sounds like. When he deigns to comment on the actual songs, he suddenly is completely inarticulate, bitching that words don't rhyme correctly, as if this is first grade, or that real bands don't write songs about their dad's cancer.

Perhaps he's trying to be ironic, but I doubt it. Anyone can be "funny" by reflexively putting down people who are more ambitious, talented, daring, politically astute, and thoughtful than they are. Meanwhile, U2 will continue to make records without any concern for what this guy thinks, and this guy will continue to hate them in pathetic solitude.

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:15 am

I kinda like the song 'Vertigo'.

I guess I officially have no taste now. :roll:

FWIW my wife calls Bono 'boner'. And I do think his 'I will save the world' attitude is a bit tiring.

But I like 'Vertigo'.
Last edited by Mark Alan Miller on Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

maz
buyin' a studio

Post by maz » Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:19 am

inverseroom wrote:Hmm. I like "Vertigo," and it seems to me that all this guy can find to complain about is a bunch of TV commercials, hype, and fan comments. If he would turn off his fucking television for ten minutes and quit caring so much about what other people think, he might find the personal courage to actually form opinions about music based on what it sounds like. When he deigns to comment on the actual songs, he suddenly is completely inarticulate, bitching that words don't rhyme correctly, as if this is first grade, or that real bands don't write songs about their dad's cancer.

Perhaps he's trying to be ironic, but I doubt it. Anyone can be "funny" by reflexively putting down people who are more ambitious, talented, daring, politically astute, and thoughtful than they are. Meanwhile, U2 will continue to make records without any concern for what this guy thinks, and this guy will continue to hate them in pathetic solitude.
Thank you. I was thinking that same thing but in a much more incoherent, 3rd grade writing (thinking?) style that would have likened me much more to the reviewer than I'd like to admit!

U2 may not be the greatest rock band in the world, but they certainly don't suck and I think the new record has some very cool songs on it, as well as great sounds all around.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:51 am

If you read some of the guy's other stuff, then taken in that context, he is pretty consistently funny; and an arsehole, but pretty funny.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

citizenkeith
alignin' 24-trk

Post by citizenkeith » Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:56 am

I was going to defend the new U2 album (except the L2 limiter) but then I realized that the link was The Best Page in the Universe. I don't care if they made fun of my mom, that website is funny as hell.

If you've only visited the above links, you're not going to "get it." Go to the home page: http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net

fuckface
steve albini likes it

Post by fuckface » Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:28 am

i used to check out his page all the time, then there was a long period where it wasn't updated so i kinda forgot about it...

thanks for reminding me ... and this is great because im so sick of U2 i want to shoot myself every 5 minutes cause thats how often i hear them..

johnny7
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by johnny7 » Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:57 am

Cleary the point of this website is mindless humour. Some is funny and some just plain irritating. All of it appears to be ignorant. Arguing with it is an exercise in futility...

Johnny

dubold
steve albini likes it

Post by dubold » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:18 am

fuckface wrote:im so sick of U2 i want to shoot myself every 5 minutes cause thats how often i hear them..

So turn off the tv/radio/CD player. Unless the signal is being sent straight to your head by the CIA and/or aliens, I assume you have some choice in the matter.

edit for stupid html mistake
Last edited by dubold on Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen
steve albini likes it

Post by Stephen » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:22 am

Hysterically funny. No I don't like U2 (thought they were boring, narcissistic and trite then in 1980 and still are today.) Let's be clear, corporate sellout bullshit sucks no matter how many starving ethnic kids you try to feed. Sid Viscious died in vain.
Pax, Steve
Necessity is a mother....
http://instantdogma.net

Huntlabs
pushin' record

Post by Huntlabs » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:39 am

Thats a funny web site...

I liked the one about Dave Chappelle and the How to Kill yourself like a man....

Who cares if he hates U2, I like them, his rant on them was at least funny.... all 11 of them.

John

PS I just wanted to see if my avitar would work.,...
"Add water, makes its own sauce"

www.CRACKERTONES.com