Classic recordings that are out of tune

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
stevemoss
alignin' 24-trk

Re: Classic recordings that are out of tune

Post by stevemoss » Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:40 pm

Yeah - classic example. Though the song's "If I Fell" off the Hard Day's Night album.

Fieryjack
steve albini likes it

Post by Fieryjack » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:04 pm

Ooops...you're right. I always get those 2 songs confused (and LOVE those harmonies). Glad I'm among Beatle experts to correct me :)

marqueemoon
carpal tunnel

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:23 pm

gog wrote:
marqueemoon wrote:The Smiths' "Meat Is Murder" has some horrible vocal pitch problems. I'm not talking just a bum note here or there, but whole lines and phrases that are out of tune.
i always thought was just morrisey's style... he always seemed to just kinda slide past the notes, and not really hold'em. i dig the smiths. seemed to work for what they did really well.
Ok, but listen to that record again and get back to me.
I the prostitute, shall not hide...
But I was very much bothered with my work!

theblue1
audio school graduate

Post by theblue1 » Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:13 pm

Jazz critic Leonard Feather (who supposedly helped 'discover' Billie Holiday) once described Betty Carter's vocal tonality as "idiosyncratic." That's what happens when people settle for 'piano-pitch' too long, seems to me; after a while if someone sings the correct pitch, it sounds foreign.

0xeneye
pushin' record

Post by 0xeneye » Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:36 pm

How about Andy Summer's guitar (E, I think) in Da Doo Doo Doo De Da Da Da? Flat as hell.
Maybe not flat as hell so much as flanged and chorused to hell..... I played in a Police cover band for a while and had real difficulty hearing some of the notes, since there was so much swooooooooshing going on...
0x

stevebozz
gettin' sounds

Post by stevebozz » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:18 pm

a lot of Pavement
Steve

-- Chief City Recordings | www.chiefcity.com
-- BOZZmedia | www.bozz1.com

SKEETER
steve albini likes it

Post by SKEETER » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:14 am

One thing that I have noticed is that a lot of bands I have heard, for example on alternative stations, seem to have fantastic timing and pitch. But when you see them on late night talk shows playing, some of them sound pretty bad, particularly the vocals. I think perhaps it is wise to remember that at one time everything was done live in the studio. If a lot of modern day music were recorded the same way some of the stuff in the 50s and 60s was recorded, I have to wonder if the bands could cut the mustard.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:40 am

SKEETER wrote:One thing that I have noticed is that a lot of bands I have heard, for example on alternative stations, seem to have fantastic timing and pitch. But when you see them on late night talk shows playing, some of them sound pretty bad, particularly the vocals. I think perhaps it is wise to remember that at one time everything was done live in the studio. If a lot of modern day music were recorded the same way some of the stuff in the 50s and 60s was recorded, I have to wonder if the bands could cut the mustard.
It's almost a shame you can't force people to record that way, there'd probably be a lot less crappy music.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:41 am

stevebozz wrote:a lot of Pavement
Yes, but they were way better when they were more out of tune, the older they got the more in tune and the less interesting they sounded.

rigsbysmith.com

SKEETER
steve albini likes it

Post by SKEETER » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:57 am

Rigsby
My point to that was meant to be that, it is easy now to look back and poke at the inadequecies of music from the rock era, but in fact if much of the newer music out there had to be recorded under the same conditions, it wouldn't be any better, and in my estimation wouldn't be as good.
Another thing is, bands like the Beatles because good in part because of doing 25 live takes directly to tape to get a song right, rather than going back and dubbing in a bad guitar lick or a flat "YeahYeah". You cannot do your songs that much in a row and not learn two things, one is the song so you can do it in your sleep, and the other is how to play and sing in key in general. I am betting that recording sessions were the best practice the Beatles ever got.
Modern bands may not have that advantage, technology is not forcing them to become perfectionists about it.
In the past, by the time a band go on stage with their first hit song, they had their material down perfect from having played it over and over and over until they were sick of it.
Older bands even lip synced better. You couldn't really tell if the Stones were playing live on Ed Sullivan or not, or doing a willy vanilly, they did it so well.

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:02 am

SKEETER wrote:... You couldn't really tell if the Stones were playing live on Ed Sullivan or not, or doing a willy vanilly, they did it so well.
Oh, I can tell. Soemtimes all live, sometimes just live vocal, but I don't believe I've ever seen one that was all lip-synced,
beware bee wear

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:09 am

SKEETER wrote:Rigsby
My point to that was meant to be that, it is easy now to look back and poke at the inadequecies of music from the rock era, but in fact if much of the newer music out there had to be recorded under the same conditions, it wouldn't be any better, and in my estimation wouldn't be as good.
Another thing is, bands like the Beatles because good in part because of doing 25 live takes directly to tape to get a song right, rather than going back and dubbing in a bad guitar lick or a flat "YeahYeah". You cannot do your songs that much in a row and not learn two things, one is the song so you can do it in your sleep, and the other is how to play and sing in key in general. I am betting that recording sessions were the best practice the Beatles ever got.
Modern bands may not have that advantage, technology is not forcing them to become perfectionists about it.
In the past, by the time a band go on stage with their first hit song, they had their material down perfect from having played it over and over and over until they were sick of it.
Older bands even lip synced better. You couldn't really tell if the Stones were playing live on Ed Sullivan or not, or doing a willy vanilly, they did it so well.
Yeah, i'm pretty much entirely agreeing with you.

rigsbysmith.com

stereobongos
alignin' 24-trk

Post by stereobongos » Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:43 pm

sometimes when something is not perfectly "in tune" it sticks out in a mix. but it can also be considered a "hook", and can be the difference between a memorable performance and a piece of computer perfect commercial garbage.

trilonaut
audio school

Post by trilonaut » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:54 am

"Stir it Up" by Bob Marley. one of the bass strings is waaaaaaaaay out. honestly i think too much so.

i never noticed a lot of the ones discussed here (though the kinks have that dirty sound) except "da doo doo doo" by the police. that's one i have trouble forgiving cause i also think it's one of their worst songs. maybe it was done through some chorus effect, since they are far from a one take live in the studio type of a band, but man it sounds sour.

i guess i'm missing the point here cause these are cases where the intonation is hurting the song, as opposed to cases where it doesn't matter.

i'm not really a punk fan, but i'll second the misfits comment -- there is something really cool and weird about their recordings and if the tuning is part of it, then i'm all for it. cheerful pop punk about murder, rape and torture, with elvised-out vocals, and the weird, dry recordings are the icing on the cake.

this isn't a tuning thing persay, but hendrix flubs a note right in the beginning of "stone free". it's really noticable but it hardly messes up the song. definitely one of these things that these days would be punched or redone or whatever.

kdarr
buyin' gear

Post by kdarr » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:21 am

"Fascination" by... Human League, is it?

That synth brass hook is SO FLAT.

|<|>|