$300 Vocal Mic preamp upgrade advice needed

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
dejacky
alignin' 24-trk

$300 Vocal Mic preamp upgrade advice needed

Post by dejacky » Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:10 am

I have about a $300 (can go a little higher if needed) budget for a new vocal mic preamp that will be used with a Sennheiser e835 and Marshal MXL V77 mic. What are some good options (DIY included) in this price range? Someone recommended I just buy an ART ProChannel, but I thought I'd be able to build a better preamp for the money...is it plausible? Thanks in advance! :D
-dejacky

Lee Knight
gimme a little kick & snare

Re: $300 Vocal Mic preamp upgrade advice needed

Post by Lee Knight » Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:30 am

Try to spring for a FMR RNP. Well worth the little bit of extra cash. Under $500 bucks I think. I forget what I spent, but it sounds fab.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:48 am

My advice would be to save up if you can..I know I wouldnt have been able to save up any money a while ago..but if you can save like a thousand or more dollars for a preamp then go for it because the quality and craftsmanship of those units is something that will last the long haul not to mention retain nearly all of its value and in a very few cases go up in price on the used market..and of course there is the sound quality..which will be comparable to any commercial record you could buy in a store..

and if you really need a 300$ preamp..

this one looks kind of awesome :

http://www.sonicsense.com/premp1.htm

never heard it though..and it only runs on batteries which actually is klind of sweet because it will have a really clean power supply though you keep having to buy AA's or whatever..

Huntlabs
pushin' record

Post by Huntlabs » Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:42 am

These Hamptone units are great. They are both a bit over your budget but are two channel. I built the tube pre and I love love love it. Here is a link:

http://hamptone.com/newkits.htm

Save up and get one....

John
"Add water, makes its own sauce"

www.CRACKERTONES.com

pscottm
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by pscottm » Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:46 am

i'd look into diy.

dejacky
alignin' 24-trk

Post by dejacky » Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:08 am

The "Gyraf Audio" G9 Tube preamp has been recommended to me as a DIY project that will fit in my budget. Has anyone heard of it? The hamptones seem neat, but they are above my budget..I simply cannot spend that much.
-dejacky

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:12 am

$300 isn't enough to purchase anything of serious quality, which is absolutely OK. Working with what you have and fine-tuning your creative techniques is the most important thing; as well as the sheer value of recording your music for the world to hear and for your own pleasure.

You might consider a small format mixer like a Soundcraft or Behringer UB Pro series (only the UB Pro stuff), Yamaha, Mackie - the list goes on. A small format mixer these days will provide you with decent mic pre's that are uncolored and usable and allow you to color your sound with effects or EQ or mic'ing techniques (or not at all). Or maybe even coloring it by inserting an old tape machine in the signal path or something analog. Just put something kewl in the chain and Bam!, insta-color.

Anyway, a small format mixer might give you what you want for mic pre's (and more) and give you extra flexibilities for monitoring, re-amping, EQ, multi-mic techniques, etc.

You've got to work with what you have on the budget you have and $300 is still going to buy you a lot of fun.

DryCounty
buyin' a studio

Post by DryCounty » Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:37 am

I don't know much about what else is on the market for that price, but I've got an M-Audio DMP3 2-channel mic pre that sounds great. You could likely get 2 of them (four channels) for around $300:

http://m-audio.com/products/en_us/DMP3-main.html

Cool looking VU meters, to boot.
"I would imagine that the inside of a bottle of cleaning fluid is fucking clean." -Hedberg
-----
Tulsa Drone
Dry County Records ? Richmond, Virginia
twitter: drycounty

beauarts
alignin' 24-trk

Post by beauarts » Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:48 pm

At $300, it's questionable whether you can get anything much better than a mackie mixer preamp to make it worth your while. A used Symetrix 202 is the only thing that comes to mind. Better to save up to the next level and have something that should last you for the conceivable future. I'd go for one of those Hamptone kits or a 4-channel Sytek (~$750). I was not that wowed by the RNP.

doc
pushin' record

Post by doc » Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:34 am

Aphex 207. I fully agree with everyone else that you should save to get something that's really worth it (Sytek, UA, Drawmer, etc.), but if you just can't wait....Aphex 207. For $300.00 brand new, I've been incredibly happy with mine. It's a very clean, neutral (very little coloration, but not bland sounding as I've found some Presonus pres to be) preamp with some nice features such as pad, phase flip, "limiter," and phantom power. I've actually thought about buying a second one. It's really nice for kick and snare as well as some vocals. It's a single rack space and it has cool looking green lights with relatively decent metering. I also recently came across some Peavey TMP 1's for $169.00 each that would probably be very nice. A stereo pair for not too much over your budget.

-doc

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:10 am

the aphex 107 and bellari/rolls thing are both worth looking into...

Mike

Lee Knight
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Lee Knight » Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:58 am

The Rane single pre for $150 is supposed to be nice...

Leopold
buyin' a studio

Post by Leopold » Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:51 am

I second the 207. It's a good pre and there are four up on ebay going for $300 "buy it now."

Leo
"I raged against the machine and all this money came out!" Bart Simpson

i am monster face
buyin' gear

Post by i am monster face » Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:19 am

I will always like the Bellari 503 modded. By itself it's a hot little tube pre. Plenty of that "tube warmth" (I hate that term). But throw another tube in and some new opamps and that thing is smoking. It is much better than the other pre's I have in the $300-$600 price range. It's nice.

Ian

colinandrew12
gettin' sounds

Post by colinandrew12 » Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:13 pm

DryCounty wrote:I don't know much about what else is on the market for that price, but I've got an M-Audio DMP3 2-channel mic pre that sounds great. You could likely get 2 of them (four channels) for around $300:

http://m-audio.com/products/en_us/DMP3-main.html

Cool looking VU meters, to boot.
anybody else know anything about this one? it looks intriguing. i don't expect it to sound like a neve or api, but how does it sound? any likes? dislikes?
...just remember, when doing live sound: you can't polish a turd....