Bose -- weird or not?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.

Bose audio systems?

Good
3%
Undecided / Uninformed
16%
Bad
59%
Seasick
22%

Total votes: 37

MusicEuphony
pluggin' in mics

Re: Bose -- weird or not?

Post by MusicEuphony » Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:04 pm

I had always been told Bose was a good company with nice products that were expensive, and had believed it until I was about 16 and checked some of their stuff out at various stores (circuit city, fry's, and the like). Their sound seems really sort of different and in no way sounded even close to flat (though I get that that's not the point). Each time, the system sounded alright, though sort of spacy and unnatural, and each time when I turned off the subwoofer, those little cubes stood out as no good.

Since then I've read various horrible things online about bose and their speakers. I've even been given links to sites selling the same cubes bose uses for $10 each. They won't release any of their freq. response charts or any sort of real specs on their equipment, which seems a bit strange also.

chema
pluggin' in mics

Post by chema » Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:56 pm

no comment about any other product but my mom gave me one of those expensive alarm clock small radio deals and it's a great alarm clock, wakes me up every morning, but (and this is in no way an original idea) i've been using it to check mixes in the studio as sort of the boom box test (very convenient line in) and it kicks ass (different than auratones or whatever little speakers you may like), but it's totally useful for that, it is in no way flat, the low end is super exagerated, and yes, weird, but if anything is floppy or unbalanced in there, it tells you in no uncertain terms, so they're not entirely bad, but absolutely overhyped i agree.
do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - ralph waldo emerson

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:37 pm

to me the Bose stuff sounds like the Waves S1 plugin pushed to the absurd. the S1 does a phase treatment to the bass that gives "dimension" to the low end. Sorta like mid-side decoding I guess. Boom boxes have it- Sony boxes have "Mega Bass"

Sea Sickness.

I scraped the "B" off my boom box so now it says "Mega ass."
not to worry, just keep tracking....

matt250321
pluggin' in mics

Post by matt250321 » Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:44 pm

yea i never really understood how those new bose PA systems worked... The way their website hypes it, it sounds like some new miracle machine. They claim that the sound doesnt getter quieter the farther you are from the system. I highly doubt they changed the laws of physics here... I mean I only had 2 physics class so far but I know that you can't just change how sound waves work. I mean that would be pretty cool, but um yea, I dont think they did that :P Its funny how their website claims all this stuff but there is no technical data to back it up. kind of amusing. But hey who knows, I've never heard one of those things and they could be amazing...i just doubt it.
"We are emotional salesmen" -Shelly Yakus

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Post by thunderboy » Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:40 pm

matt250321 -

The Bose PA thingy is based on line array theory. Normally, when you double your distance from a noise source, you see a 6dB drop. With a line array, it's a 3dB drop.
Whether or not a 3' long array of Bose drivers can provide the same effect as a 30' V-Dosc cluster...no idea.

jt
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:46 pm

The line-array effect does work, but you have to be within maybe 30 feet and not above or below the ends of the column. And bass is done with a little baby subwoofer, which is a point source instead of a line source and so falls off quickly with distance.

The biggest problem with the Bose column things is that they're over $2k each... and you're supposed to have one for every member of the band. Definitely not good value for a PA system.

jajjguy
re-cappin' neve

Post by jajjguy » Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:41 pm

guys, guys. i'm as much of an audio snob as you, but i challenge any of you to show me a boombox with the same dimensions as the bose wave radio that can fill a large room as well without cranking the volume. also, note that it's really loved by (and marketed toward) classical and jazz listeners. i really think it's pretty good, for, say, listening to the messiah on the radio in the kitchen while you make your holiday fruitcake or whatever. so let's take it as it's meant.

i agree that their straight stereo speakers are poop.

i have heard the line array PA speakers, and they're really pretty good. less rock n roll, more high-fi. also, they should only be used for standard PA apps, like amping-up miced things or keyboards. they say they can be used also as as a guitar or bass amp, but they really don't sound so good that way (no PA does).

SKEETER
steve albini likes it

Post by SKEETER » Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:46 pm

Originally, noone could touch Bose. When the 901s came out, there was nothing on earth that could remotely compare to them for sound, The idea was to have as much reflected sounds as direct sound in order to have a more natural concert hall sound. I have a pair of 301s in my living room. I prefer.
Bose is still way ahead of the game as far as R and D goes, but I think perhaps they have forgotten that most people are more into practicality now, and that the audiophile craze has kind of petered out considering that the advent of digital sound has pretty much fullfilled the quest for "perfect audio" with a hollow victory.
I like a lot of Bose stuff, but I would still rather have an old pair of radio shack towers and a old Marantz blue face receiver than any of the more recent gear. For some reason, receivers now have shitty bass response. It almost sounds like they are intentionall making the bass weak so people will have to go out and buy subwoofers.
I do like the early Bose Acoustamass setups. I thought years ago that companies should start making a separate bass module and smaller cabs that hung on walls and reflected sound.

Zeppelin4Life
re-cappin' neve

Post by Zeppelin4Life » Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:15 pm

Bose gear is marketed bullshit with big pricetags. the products are not bad, but the prices and eveything else are. never again
?I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.?
David L
KC2UUM
RadioReference.com Admin, Albany NY

SKEETER
steve albini likes it

Post by SKEETER » Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:14 am

Bose has a set of very expensive headphones that phase cancel all outside noise, and they work amazingly well. They were originally designed for those that work around aircraft to use for hearing protection. I have tried a pair of them out in a Bose store, and they do indeed perfrom magic.
Just before Christimas I was in a store somewhere (I forget which store) and seen a pair of headphones that claimed to do the exact same thing that the Bose cans do. They were 50 bucks. I bet Bose is real happy about that.

andyg666
re-cappin' neve

Post by andyg666 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:06 am

MichaelAlan wrote:They have those cool noise cancelling headphones. But for $300....pass. If Bose sounds so good how come they're not in studios?
The reason Bose is not studio-grade stuff is because it has a sound--period. We want our studio monitors to be as transparent as possible, right? So Bose is designed to sound "good" (even though we think it sounds crappy) which automatically makes it bad for the studio. shortly after i graduated audio school Bose sent me an e-mail offering me a job interview... i am SO glad i was not ready to move up to Boston at that time cuz i probably would have taken it and contributed to the destruction of good music everywhere!!

ape32
gettin' sounds

Post by ape32 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:28 am

I have very fond memories of playing and seeing shows at Canal Street Tavern in Dayton, OH, which had 6 or so Bose 901s arrayed all over the club. They did shows for everyone from Taj Mahal to smaller touring and local rock bands. I used to play there with a rock band and it worked great, run as a vocals-only PA.

What I likes about it was the vocals could be made out clearly anywhere in the place and there was no nasty horn-blare, which is what I fight constantly at the club I mix at now.

andrew embassy
george martin

Post by andrew embassy » Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:15 am

Anybody hear about Bose's suspension system for cars? Apparently it's the same concept with the noise-cancelling headphones, except instead of negating noise, you're negating bumps in the road...

http://www.bose.com/controller;jsession ... esults.jsp
HEY! Who forgot they bag?

SKEETER
steve albini likes it

Post by SKEETER » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:22 am

APE do you know a guy named Ron Dunn that plays around that area?

SKEETER
steve albini likes it

Post by SKEETER » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:24 am

If Bose has developed a phase cancelling system for cars, I imagine it is quite complex, it would have to be designed so that it allows some frequencies to pass, such as those of emergency vehicles.