Anyone ever record electronic drums? How's it sound?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
evilaudio
buyin' gear

Re: Anyone ever record electronic drums? How's it sound?

Post by evilaudio » Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:11 am

Many extreme metal bands use electronic drums of somekind. Mostly in the studio, though. Whether triggering acoustics or using pads, they turn out good. Pete Sandoval of Morbid Angel only uses electronic drums when he records, Dan Swan? of Edge of Sanity uses lots of edrums with his projects (and he programs the MIDI information too!)... many more examples out there. Before I knew any better, I sweared they were real drums!

Huntlabs
pushin' record

Post by Huntlabs » Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:25 am

I've got the Roland V Club kit with the TD6 "brain". It's ok for general recording but I mainly got it for band practice. I have small room and the acoustic drums were just too loud. The sounds are ok. I wish this kit had the faders for snare, kick etc that the TD8 does.

The issue I am investigating right now is latency with the V Club. I mic'd the trigger pad, recorded the main outs and recorded the output at the speaker. At 44.1 sample rate there is about 130 samples of delay/latency from stike to the main output. The output at the speaker was 180 samples after the strike. I ran all three recorded signals into my octopre then via light pipe. The output to the speakers was from the octopre.

I have a Digi 001 and there is at least 50 samples of delay from output back to recorded signal. Put together with the 130 that makes 180 and that can be noticable. A nudge forward might / will fix it???

They just play different too...
"Add water, makes its own sauce"

www.CRACKERTONES.com

Bad Halen
gettin' sounds

Post by Bad Halen » Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:03 am

Interesting stuff. Sounds like the best way is to use them for what they are.

Hey, Huntlabs. Kill that huge avatar, will ya? :wink: My shit's on dial-up (i'm at work....)

Huntlabs
pushin' record

Post by Huntlabs » Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:35 am

Spotty wrote:Hey, Huntlabs. Kill that huge avatar, will ya? :wink: My shit's on dial-up (i'm at work....)
Done but I'm gonna miss her....

:(
"Add water, makes its own sauce"

www.CRACKERTONES.com

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:00 pm

Huntlabs wrote:
Spotty wrote:Hey, Huntlabs. Kill that huge avatar, will ya? :wink: My shit's on dial-up (i'm at work....)
Done but I'm gonna miss her....

:(
You don't have to get rid of it altogether, just needs a resize...

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=112
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

NewAndImprov
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewAndImprov » Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:44 pm

I recorded 2 records for a band that used the Roland TD-6 a few years ago. We did use real cymbals. They also had a Roland Handsonic, plus lots of acoustic percussion. The cool thing was that we could record the drummers performance as MIDI as well as audio, and then tweak the drum sounds later. As well as tweaking the drummer's timing, which, unfortunately, really needed it. Plus, no bleed from the drums! The downside? At best they soiunded like a generic acoustic kit, no personality at all. It was fine for this context, since the kit was just one element in a larger ensemble, but not something I'd do again.