Ebay idiots

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Ebay idiots

Post by bobbydj » Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:34 am

seeabove wrote:I'll bet that dude that $25000 for the grilled cheese wouldn't have said that's how much he'd pay before the auction began, but rather got swept up by the competition, "had to win", and dropped more than he would have rationally expected.
Please though. The person who bid and won a piece of cheese on toast for 25k was surely the same person who started the aution, but through another account. Ditto the other bidders on that. I mean, yeah it was America. But c'mon. Even Americans are not that monstrously insane, are they? Don't answer that.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:49 am

bobbydj wrote:
seeabove wrote:I'll bet that dude that $25000 for the grilled cheese wouldn't have said that's how much he'd pay before the auction began, but rather got swept up by the competition, "had to win", and dropped more than he would have rationally expected.
Please though. The person who bid and won a piece of cheese on toast for 25k was surely the same person who started the aution, but through another account. Ditto the other bidders on that. I mean, yeah it was America. But c'mon. Even Americans are not that monstrously insane, are they? Don't answer that.
I think that you're right. That seemed to be one of the more obvious shams that I've seen passed off as "news."

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:52 am

subatomic pieces wrote:
bobbydj wrote:
I think that you're right. That seemed to be one of the more obvious shams that I've seen passed off as "news."
What's eBay's cut on 25 grand?
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:52 am

KennyLusk wrote:Is there a reason (I may be unaware of ) why guys on Ebay will start bidding on something hours before the end of the auction? Sometimes even days before the end of an auction.

Are people such horrible consumers that they really don't think?

Or is it just me?

It seems to me that everyone loses when people do that.
somebody wins the auction, right?

waiting until the last seconds and hoping to win on a low bid is much more idiotic.

just put in the max that you're willing to pay and be done with it.

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:17 am

My ebay strategies vary depending on factors like how much $ I've got to spend at the time, bills that are due, if it's an item i really want and rarely see or if it's something that's always on there, etc. I've made some stupid purchases, but they were things I really wanted and had the $ at the time to be frivilous. other times i have to watch a sweet deal go by because I've gotta pay rent that week. other times i've mortgaged my soul for that sweet deal.
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:44 am

Rigsby wrote:
subatomic pieces wrote:
bobbydj wrote:
What's eBay's cut on 25 grand?
Better yet what happens if you default on yourself? Do you get negative f/back off eBay? And would it matter if you did when the buyer is simply a subsidiary account established by yourself simply for the purposes of buying a piece of cheese on toast for 25 large?
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

Albert
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Albert » Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:56 am

Sometimes I'll bid early just to lock in the auction, as technically the seller is not supposed to discontinue the item if there are bids. That still happens sometimes though.

Also, sometimes a seller will have a starting bid and a buy it now price, but no reserve. So if you put in an early bid you knock out the buy it now, and the item has to get bid all the way up.

However, I've seen it *many times* where idiots start bidding early and get into a competition with other early bidders and just raise the price of an item far beyond what it should be. Great for the seller, but not for anyone trying to get a deal.

When I'm selling something on eBay I *LOVE* to see early bidders. You definitely want highly motivated buyers! But as far as the strategies of bidding early, other than knocking out a buy it now or locking in an auction, all it does is raise the final price in my opinion.