My favorite Led Zep right now. . .

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
SKEETER
steve albini likes it

Re: My favorite Led Zep right now. . .

Post by SKEETER » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:25 am

HAMMERTIME
" in fact they violate pretty much every rule on writing lyrics by being filled with cliche's and superfluous filler (Oooohh baby). "

When musicians and singers and producer make music by textbook rules, the creativity is gone and it becomes just another contrived and formatted craft that only adds to the pathetic drivel that pervades modern music. Zepplin broke a lot of rules, not just rules on lyrics, and that is what made them creativively interesting rather than just "vogue" like say, "alternative" music is.
During the rock era, what made the music so dynamic was that the musicians suddenly had the music industry over a barrel, and the music industry HAD to market them, or risk them starting their own outlets for their music. Unfortunately the music industry is now safely back in the hands of lawyers and accountants, which is why most modern music so blatantly and unashamebly sucks. If the best the music world has to offer is Marilyn Manson or a bunch of karoke strippers, or guys that dress in country music costumes and are all hat and no cattle, then bands like Zepplin will increase in popularity, not decline.
What is really amazing to me is the amount of young musicians that listen to the music of the rock era. When I was a kid, we listened to what was current. we didn't listen much to big band music or Sinatra, because we had BANDS to listen to. Kids listening to Zepplin is roughly the equivolent of those of us from the rock era having tuned into stations during high school that played Sinatra. Rock music is old fart music, but there is a huge market among young people for it. That says something...........

these_go211
pushin' record

Post by these_go211 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:31 am

the only thing heavier than immigrant song from zepIII is immigrant song from the 'how the west was won' cd. i get chills everytime i listen to that. and since it's live you can hear jones' amazing bass riffing when page is soloing.
when i was younger the intro to the song 'hats off to roy harper' used to scare the crap out of me for some reason.
-chuck
"well, it's one louder, isn't it...."

http://web.mac.com/chuckelizondo

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:46 am

Electricide wrote:I saw Plant on TV doing Babe I'm gonna leave you with some totally non-zeppelin band. Bunch of youger guys. Live audience. On PBS I think, last year. It was pretty good.

Anybody know what I'm talking about.?
Is this the show you saw?

http://www.pbs.org/klru/austin/artists/program428.html

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:54 am

I was watching Plant on Austin City Limits the other night myself. Again -- it just put me to sleep. Rock music without the youthful enthusiasm and fuck-it attitude is just worn-out, middle-aged shit.

skinnyemo77
takin' a dinner break

Post by skinnyemo77 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:58 am

To whoever dissed "Tangerine", I feel that song is like Tangerine the fruit: when you're eating it, you're always wishing you were eating a Navel Orange instead.

SKEETER
steve albini likes it

Post by SKEETER » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:01 pm

hammertime,
I certainly hope that you live up to your own words, and when you reach 40 or so that you give up music. After all, music ability and quality takes a back seat to age, right? Years don't go backward , the go forward, and you are going to be an old fart some day. And it happes WAY faster than you think.

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:08 pm

All joking aside, guys, I really enjoy these threads -- because in a privative way, by subtracting what I don't like through criticism, I arrive at what I do like. Bottom line, everyone I like -- Merle Haggard, Johnny Paycheck, Leadbelly, Lightnin' Hopkins, Skip James, etc (all of whom did their best work when they were old farts) -- shared one thing in common -- honesty. They sang what they felt about things they experienced -- they weren't actors. Everyone I have criticized on this forum -- Neil Young, Paul Simon, Led Zeppelin, the Rolling Drones -- are, in my opinion, just rock and roll bullshitters. Their music does nothing for me. It's just my opinion. Later.

nipsy
pushin' record

Post by nipsy » Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:01 pm

hammertime,

im an old a fart & i beg you to listen to led zepplin 1 again....

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:33 pm

Not to anyone in particular, but please spell the band's name right: it's
Led Zeppelin. If that's a problem, just say Led Zep or Zep. Thanks. I wouldn't say anything but it's like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:46 pm

Looking through the music DVD's last week, I saw that the Page/Plant MTV special has been released on DVD; it is also re-released on CD with a couple of additional songs.

And Presence is my favorite Zep album, maybe because it's not played by others as much, as well as being a little looser than other Zep (which is saying something!), and for the guitar.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:52 pm

Don't get me wrong. I actually own all of Led Zeppelin's (fuck I hope I spelled it right) records. I used to spend days trying to figure out the guitar parts -- and some, like Black Dog, I'm still in awe of today. Their lyrics do suck -- but then again almost all rock lyrics do, so that's not a big deal. I was just having fun -- didn't mean to offend anyone.
nipsy wrote:hammertime,

im an old a fart & i beg you to listen to led zepplin 1 again....

SKEETER
steve albini likes it

Post by SKEETER » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:52 pm

Lyrics for rock era music were pretty much just a cherry on top of the ice cream. They were just there so that we could all call them "songs", but what everyone really wanted to hear was the musicianship and genius. The singers could have just as well been singing "lalas" and it would ahve been the same. The lyrics in rock era music that were good were fantastic.
The ones that weren't all that good were inconsequential.

Cappy*tan
gettin' sounds

Post by Cappy*tan » Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:14 pm

I don't know. For some strange reason I feel compelled to write, even though I have nothing good to say. heh I can't stand Zeppelin at all. I've tried and tried. I've listened to three or four of their albums...over and over again...cause I'd been told they were sooooooooo good. But I never have been able to like them. I don't know why I'm adding to this thread since I have nothing good to say. I figure I'll get my head bitten off...but the best thing they ever did was quit. :wink:

discs of tron
takin' a dinner break

Post by discs of tron » Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:36 pm

okay i'm responding to a post several pages back and i'm not sure if anyone else has responded. anyhow, re: moogrock's "in the light" demo comment... props! that evil harpsichord-y version is the shiznit!!! my buddy gave me that on a mix and it is sooo fresh. and, as on the album version, bonham's fills towards the end (about six minutes in,) are so disgustingly pocket-tastic, like he's so behind it he's almost gonna miss, but then he just brings the bonham thunder to that ass, delivering nordic earthquake goodness that makes you just wanna drop all your death cab for cutie and arcade fire at the nearest salvation army and just zep out until the sun refuses to shine.

yeah.
in the light
out on the tiles
heyhey what can i do

i've said this before here, and some have agreed while others have foolishly dissented: if you alphabetize the surnames of the members of zep, you get a perfect ranking of their rocktastic-ness and general importance:

bonham
jones
paige
plant.

in that order.

Ivon
steve albini likes it

Post by Ivon » Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:48 pm

Cappy*tan wrote:heh I can't stand Zeppelin at all.
Everyone's entitled to their opinions. Nothing wrong with that. Hammertime would agree with you.

I'll admit it...Page's live playing was sometimes sloppy. And, yes, Plant's lyrics were cliche at times.

But, Led Zeppelin definitely set some new standards in the rock industry and were quite often imitated...and they still continue to be an influence on newer rock bands. For example, listen to some of The Flaming Lips' drumming and tell me that it wasn't influenced by Bonham. Also, Page was a great guitarist on tape. He got great sounds out of his geetars and was very talented at making all those sounds work together to create a powerful mosaic of depth and character. And, Jones...I think he's a very underrated bassist. He played some great and intricate lines to fill what space was available after Page and Bonham laid their grease down...and the lines worked really well with what Bonham was doing.

I haven't listened to Zep in a while, but this is making me wanna crank some Physical Graffitti.