cheap eq?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
dobson
pluggin' in mics

cheap eq?

Post by dobson » Mon Aug 04, 2003 10:35 am

i'm in search of a cheap but functional 31 band eq, for use mostly in our reahearsal space to get rid of vocal mic feedback... i guess i'm looking for recommendations from those who are happy with their eq's, or caution from those who aren't (ie should i avoid behringer??)

thanks for any input.

Ethan Winer
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: cheap eq?

Post by Ethan Winer » Mon Aug 04, 2003 11:00 am

Dobson,

I rarely recommend specific gear brands, so I'll let others tell you their faves. But I will say that to reduce feedback you're much better off with a parametric EQ than a 31-band graphic. A parametric EQ lets you set the frequencies exactly to the feedback, versus the fixed frequencies on a graphic EQ.

--Ethan

dobson
pluggin' in mics

Post by dobson » Mon Aug 04, 2003 11:43 am

great... thanks for the advice. i'm also looking into feedback exterminators, as they are very precise with locating the exact frequencies that are feeding back.

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:09 pm

Yeah, I was going to suggest one of those feedback exterminators. I wouldn't necessarily avoid Behringer in this case - it's for a practice space, ya know? They make a few different boxes (the Shark is a smaller one) with feedback killers. Might be the perfect cheap solution.

Leigh

Deja V.U.
pluggin' in mics

Post by Deja V.U. » Mon Aug 04, 2003 2:41 pm

You can find MXR graphic eq's for $50. You can also find the Sharc units at this price, and that will give you a bunch of other features with it. You get what you pay for.