Paul Simon is kind of a twat, but...

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Re: Paul Simon is kind of a twat, but...

Post by kayagum » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:42 am

Plus: A fingerpicked "Scarborough Fair" is a showstopper everytime. I can verify that with field experience.

Minus: LA Weekly headlline for the Rhythm of the Saints review- "Slay That Funky Music White Boy".

Pretty much sums it up.

the brill bedroom
pushin' record

Post by the brill bedroom » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:46 am

Fieryjack wrote:I dunno, but I don't really get the twat reference....maybe Paul Simon doesn't fit the profile of cool to you guys, but he's a fucking good guitarist/songwriter in my book. A true musical innovator and a great lyricist too.
Well, I've read a lot of interviews with him (he shows up in every book on songwriting, talking about his "craft' and how he goes to an office every day and dates his staff paper. Whatver works, I guess). I can even forgive how middle of teh road and slick so much of his solo material is. I feel like he has, in some ways, defined the musical tastes of his audience as they've aged- or at least been closeby and ready to go when trends evolved (though, in fairness, it wasn't him whjop overdubbed the electric 12 string on "sounds Of Silence"). The main thing that irritates is how un-gracious he can be when discussing his early work. He dismisses most of Simon & Garfunkle's records as beginner's luck or something. Clearly, those records were made with a good deal of craft, coming from the Brill Building scene which was about commerce and having hits (it's only now that we consider those records in terms of art or being classics), but despite that, there's some real magic when those two buggers sing together.

I just have this vague feeling that I don't really like him as a person, but i love some of his work.

Stephen
steve albini likes it

Post by Stephen » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:50 am

One last thought:
He was cool enough to be in All You Need Is Cash... (The Rutles vid.)
Pax, Steve
Necessity is a mother....
http://instantdogma.net

BrianK
takin' a dinner break

Post by BrianK » Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:19 pm

Cecilia
Mother and Child Reunion
Me and Julio
Papa Hobo
Hazy Shade

Some great ones you have already mentioned. Good pop doesn't often analyze well, but it sticks in your head. Much of his work is NOT derivative, some is. Same for ALL those bands you metioned. But his SONGS are not - the melodies are very original, simple and memorable.
Relax and float downstream...

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:26 pm

I definitely have some respect for Paul Simon. Art Garfunkel is a no-talent clown, though, who would have been absolutely nobody if it hadn't been for Simon.
the brill bedroom wrote:
Fieryjack wrote:I dunno, but I don't really get the twat reference....maybe Paul Simon doesn't fit the profile of cool to you guys, but he's a fucking good guitarist/songwriter in my book. A true musical innovator and a great lyricist too.
Well, I've read a lot of interviews with him (he shows up in every book on songwriting, talking about his "craft' and how he goes to an office every day and dates his staff paper. Whatver works, I guess). I can even forgive how middle of teh road and slick so much of his solo material is. I feel like he has, in some ways, defined the musical tastes of his audience as they've aged- or at least been closeby and ready to go when trends evolved (though, in fairness, it wasn't him whjop overdubbed the electric 12 string on "sounds Of Silence"). The main thing that irritates is how un-gracious he can be when discussing his early work. He dismisses most of Simon & Garfunkle's records as beginner's luck or something. Clearly, those records were made with a good deal of craft, coming from the Brill Building scene which was about commerce and having hits (it's only now that we consider those records in terms of art or being classics), but despite that, there's some real magic when those two buggers sing together.

I just have this vague feeling that I don't really like him as a person, but i love some of his work.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:30 pm

hammertime wrote:I definitely have some respect for Paul Simon. Art Garfunkel is a no-talent clown, though, who would have been absolutely nobody if it hadn't been for Simon.
]
That's odd... all of the songs that i like with Paul Simon in the picture, Art Garfunkle is right there next to him.. I quite simon and garfunkle fan, but not much of a Paul Simon fan. Together, i thought there were some great fuckin' songs..

Stephen
steve albini likes it

Post by Stephen » Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:26 pm

hammertime wrote:I definitely have some respect for Paul Simon. Art Garfunkel is a no-talent clown, though, who would have been absolutely nobody if it hadn't been for Simon.
the brill bedroom wrote:

I understand why some folks like some things and some don't. However in me own 'umble opinion Artie has a beautiful voice. Again the first verse of Bridge is just stunning.
Pax, Steve
Necessity is a mother....
http://instantdogma.net

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:08 pm

Artie kind of reminds me of the guy who got his guitar smashed by John Belushi in Animal House.

spideyjack
takin' a dinner break

Post by spideyjack » Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:17 pm

[quote="hammertime"]Artie kind of reminds me of the guy who got his guitar smashed by John Belushi in Animal House.[/quote]

that was Stephen Bishop, I really like his records!!

Spideyjack

spideyjack
takin' a dinner break

Post by spideyjack » Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:29 pm

he had a great sense of humor and was not at all self-important about his place in the universe.

heh

spideyjack

twitchmonitor
re-cappin' neve

Post by twitchmonitor » Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:04 pm

How about "Paul Simon, the eponymous album ?

Dan Kennedy
audio school graduate

Post by Dan Kennedy » Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:13 pm

I like S & G, but I was listenning to Wednesday Morning 3AM when I was in high school.

I always thought the album with Kodachrome and One Man's Ceiling and An American Tune was pretty good from top to bottom.

Poppy, but so what?

gevermil
takin' a dinner break

Post by gevermil » Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:52 pm

I listend to S+G in high school when all my friends were into metalica .
Yeah, simon is kind of a pretentious puss in some of the early stuff but the song writting brilliance and the fantastic melody lines are ageless . Any songwriter in this thread knows what Im talking about . there is is no question of the incredible talent of simon .not to mention one of the smoothest voices ive ever heard . Listen how long his melodys go before they resolve . especially the 70s stuff .
g

Zeppelin4Life
re-cappin' neve

Post by Zeppelin4Life » Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:31 pm

50 ways to leave your lover is the best groove and that guitar part(s) is truely awesome...

the concert in central park is one of my favorite DVDs of all time
?I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.?
David L
KC2UUM
RadioReference.com Admin, Albany NY

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:37 pm

Zeppelin4Life wrote:
the concert in central park is one of my favorite DVDs of all time
Yeah, I keep meaning to pick that up. Does it have the bit where the looney guy bum-rushes Simon after the "I heard John Lennon had died" line?
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/