Digitech VTP-1, any one use one?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
FormulaReed
alignin' 24-trk

Digitech VTP-1, any one use one?

Post by FormulaReed » Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:03 pm

I am looking for a inexpensive 2 channel mic pre with digital out, these look nice and I like the features but I don't know about digitech gear.

I am also looking at aphex 207D, DBX 386 and ART DPS2. How will it stand up to these?

Thanks,

Reed
Owner/Engineer Attercop Sound
www.attercop.net

todd aschoff
audio school graduate

Re: Digitech VTP-1, any one use one?

Post by todd aschoff » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:59 am

Yes, I ust the VTP-1 . They work fine, though I haven't yet mastered pushing the tubes without adding a symbalance cchhtt. the eq seems effective if not less than graceful - could be my touch. I don't know what to do with the phase switches yet.
I bought min used for $150 - the meters don't always work. Use your ears if they crap out?
Todd

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:08 am

I use one as well. I tap on the meters when they're not working and they spring to life.

It's a decent sounding pre, though it doesn't really sound tubey, but starts to clip in a bad way when you push it. It can be really sensitve to bad power too. Otherwise, it's been very good to me.

Roger

todd aschoff
audio school graduate

Post by todd aschoff » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:25 am

Yes, now that I think of it the unit seems to fail in a not so musical way when there is some serious pressure input. I am still trying to discover the best setting relationship between the pre-gain and output knobs. I'm trying to maximize warmth without clipping or a 'knee" sound.
Todd