Dorktastic Mic Question: Sony F-97

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
workshed
suffering 'studio suck'

Dorktastic Mic Question: Sony F-97

Post by workshed » Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:12 am

The other day, I remembered that an old Sony reel-to-reel we inherited had a pair of these old Sony mics. So tonight I finally dug them out and took a look. They have what appear to be unbalanced 1/8" plugs. Even though they look slightly larger than 1/8", they fit a 1/8" jack just fine. On the label, they say "Sony Dynamic Mic, F-97 IMP Low."

I'm sure these can come in handy for something, but am wondering what the best way is to hook them up to my preamps. This is where the dorktastic part comes in, because I'm pretty sure this is a dumb question.

Anyhow, would it be worh it to seek out a 1/8" -> XLR adapter of some kind, or should I just find an unbalanced mono 1/8" -> 1/4" adapter?

Does it even matter?

Photo below next to a stereo 1/8" -> 1/4" headphone adapter to show the relative size of the mics.

Thanks in advance.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Re: Dorktastic Mic Question: Sony F-97

Post by Rigsby » Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:23 am

I've got a 1/4" - XLR adaptor but just find it way too noisy, you might be better off rewiring the connection, though i've no experience with doing this.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:13 am

I'd go for the 1/4" adapter.

jajjguy
re-cappin' neve

Post by jajjguy » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:44 pm

do you have a mackie board or similar lying around? anything with 1/4" inputs that feed mic preamps. just to check if it works and sounds good enough to bother investigating further.

workshed
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by workshed » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:55 pm

I did run it through the stereo 1/8" -> 1/4" adapter into my Mbox TRS input and it got sound into one side (due to the stereo adapter, no doubt), but I couldn't tell how good the sound actually was. I think I'll just find a mono 1/8" -> 1/4" adapter and run it through my preamps that way... and if the sound is totally lame and unusable, then I'm only out a few bucks.

I'm hoping they can be used for something, even if it's just for some sort of lo-fi effect. In my twisted little fantasy world, I envision messing around with them in an x-y patten to get some lo-fi room mic sound on my acoustic guitar. Probably just as doable with any other cheap much I have, but hey, these are vintage!

Thanks all for the replies!