how to clean dirty knobs?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
distorTED
alignin' 24-trk

how to clean dirty knobs?

Post by distorTED » Tue Aug 05, 2003 7:18 am

how do you clean dirty or noisy knobs?

cassembler
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: how to clean dirty knobs?

Post by cassembler » Tue Aug 05, 2003 7:32 am

The easy temp fix: turn 'em back and forth and move the crud to theoutside of the pots.

Anotehr easy fix, varies in results: Use some of that "pot cleaner" solution stuff and do step 1.

The "correct" fix: Open the unit and remove the pot casing, using ?rubbing alcohol? and wipe clean with a q-tip.
http://www.dfwsound.com (production co)
http://www.dfwsoundvision.com (studio)
"Man is doomed to perpetually fluctuate between states of extreme boredom and extreme turbulence."

stewd
ass engineer

Post by stewd » Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:51 am

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Aug 05, 2003 12:30 pm

Local cathouse: ask for a "knob job." :lol:

I am so un-P.C.! :oops:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

groovetree
audio school

Post by groovetree » Tue Aug 05, 2003 12:59 pm

IMO Deoxit is Toxic and is only a temporary solution that'll make things worse over time. This stuff leaves some kind of residue behinde that builds up and is a pain to get off after a while.

Try CAIG Pro Gold instead.

Miller Stevenson has a cleaner that works really well, but it's harsh, and you'll want a contact lubricant like Stabilant-22 afterwards.

Regards,

Jason

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Tue Aug 05, 2003 1:09 pm

though i've only used deoxit firsthand - my tech has likewise advised that the problem with it is that i breaks up the crap, but there isn't a lubricant to flush it out off the pot of whatever - so the crap just settles back in a different spot, thereby kind of sidestepping the problem, and not actually fixing it.

i should note last time i used deoxit - i started myself on a huge, still ongoing battle with my console - culminating in smoke emanating from the master section. lesson: wipe off the excess and make sure everything's fully dried before powering back up. impatience can make a mild annoyance a big huge pain in the ass. sure it's a no brainer sitting here thinking about it, but when you're hot on the track of solving a problem, sometime you can get caught up in the moment and excited. don't let that happen to you. best of luck!

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Aug 05, 2003 1:32 pm

DeOxit is the professional way to clean out a dirty pot. Really.
D5 is residue free, so anything left in there after you decide you have huffed enough fumes is because you stopped too soon. "big bath" by caig is good as well. I just used this stuff across 26 channels of "vintage schmutz" in my console. Just bathe the hell out of the pot with Deoxit, then massage it, then plug it back in and massage it some more. If it still spits at you, rip that fucker out and put in a new one!!!