I need some new music to listen to...

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
gog
alignin' 24-trk

I need some new music to listen to...

Post by gog » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:48 am

... Anyone stumbled onto some fairly unknown music that they think is worthy of a listen? I am constantly looking for new stuff, and most of the music that's hyped by the media just doesn't end up floating my boat. Please share any suggestions, or sites that may have some new or under the radar artists to check out.
thanks in advance :D

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Re: I need some new music to listen to...

Post by Rigsby » Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:03 am

One of my current favourites are Alan, way better live than recorded, but hunt them out on www.utrophia.net, they're under audio and then artists and the have an MP3 to download. You can also buy the utrophia 02 CD which has a really great tune of theirs on it.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

Phiz
buyin' gear

Post by Phiz » Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:41 am

I've been listening to Raising the Fawn, Two Gallants and Deerhoof a bunch recently. For something super under the radar, check out Readyville -- its lo-fi, a sometimes bit out of tune, and far from perfectly played, but damn good song writing.

Babaluma
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Babaluma » Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:29 am

coil

gong

pete namlook

gog
alignin' 24-trk

Post by gog » Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:49 am

thanks... that utrophia site is interesting, i'll check it out

i'll also check out raising the fawn and readyville... already know two gallants and deerhoof, very cool stuff.

i've heard coil and gong (man, that's a blast from the past for me), but i'll have to chack out pete namlook.

phiz, looks like you're a bay area guy... two great somewhat unknowns who hail from there are ray's vast basement, and charles atlas. both have excellent recent albums out.

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:38 am

Buy my CD!

8)

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:14 am

gog wrote:thanks... that utrophia site is interesting, i'll check it out
They're interesting people, they do lots of different things, there's lots of musical and arts events, a studio, a gallery, a small label, last year we did a festival in Wales (i'm on the outskirts of this organisation), some of the people are part of a mobile clubbing network that go into public areas around the world and at a pre-arranged time all start dancing to their own walkman, ignoring what the others are doing, it's a bizarre sight. They also organised a pillow fight in the centre of London (twice) along the same lines (someone blew a whistle at 6.19pm to start it), made a lot of papers. Sony keep turning up to the mobile clubbing apparently, to cash in on the free advertising, now everybody has to cover the brand of their personal stereo .

Anyway, really great stuff IMO, good site too, if you're looking around, i was in A Buffalo Crossing and The Heartfelt Four, and i'm on the 02 compilation as Rigsby Smith.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

gog
alignin' 24-trk

Post by gog » Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:30 am

very cool... i love it when artists take matters into their own hands and push the envelope... art without the pressures of big business seems to be more fertile ground... yeah.

dubold
steve albini likes it

Post by dubold » Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:48 am

the books website has mp3 snippets of their stuff. i like it pretty well.

other than that, i'd recommend checking out the epitonic website. they have loads of mp3s to download. I found loads of stuff there to point me in the direction of artists I like.

and of course, check out this messageboard's MP3s. also www.creot.com

-d

bad_dude_69
re-cappin' neve

Post by bad_dude_69 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:49 am

i've really been into joan of arc's new album; joan of arc, dick cheney, mark twain.... really incredible album thanks to their undeniable (and well-tuned) rhythm section and clever, dynamic orchestration. a welcome deviation from the norm. it was recorded diy at their home studio in chicago and mixed by john mcentyre. check out tracks 4 & 12 for starters.
medicate? oh, i thought you said "meditate."

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:59 am

I always end up recommending a Swedish band called Logh for some under the radar stuff.
Not particularly unknown music, but I've definitely been liking the Earlimart album that came out in '04.

gog
alignin' 24-trk

Post by gog » Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:10 am

yeah, epitonic is cool, and insound can be useful too. lots of stuff you've already heard about, and lots of more obscure stuff too.
ps- i dig the last earlimart record too
pss- hey, i just noticed that when i hit 40 posts i became an "ass engineer"... something i've always aspired to (larry is a funny guy)

Coco
re-cappin' neve

Post by Coco » Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:28 am

I have been listening to Arcade Fire a lot lately. I believe they are on Merge or Matador. I can not remember. It is their only release. Lots of textures and different vibes on the songs. Thumbs up!
I know enough to know that I don't know what I am doing.

Generals and Majors http://www.myspace.com/generalsandmajors

gog
alignin' 24-trk

Post by gog » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:14 am

Coco wrote:I have been listening to Arcade Fire a lot lately. I believe they are on Merge or Matador. I can not remember. It is their only release. Lots of textures and different vibes on the songs. Thumbs up!
merge seems to always have a great roster (lambchop, m ward, etc). i'll check them out. thanks.

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:29 am

Phiz wrote:I've been listening to Raising the Fawn, Two Gallants and Deerhoof a bunch recently. For something super under the radar, check out Readyville -- its lo-fi, a sometimes bit out of tune, and far from perfectly played, but damn good song writing.

I saw Deerhoof a few months back, they were opening for Wilco. I dug it, but there were a lot of confused people there.
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini