EQ and Comp plugins for Mac/ProTools LE

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
PT
pushin' record

EQ and Comp plugins for Mac/ProTools LE

Post by PT » Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:08 pm

What EQ and compressor plugins do you all find useful and somewhat affordable?

The PSP Vintage warmer and MasterQ seem cool and cheap.

The McDSP stuff seems cool but more expensive.

The Bombfactory stuff seems overpriced and makes you just want to steal the software. But do they sound good (Pultec, 1176, La2a, etc...)?

Let me know your thoughts...and feelings.

mjau
speech impediment

Re: EQ and Comp plugins for Mac/ProTools LE

Post by mjau » Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:10 pm

I don't use ProTools, but I do use both PSP plugs you mentioned. MasterQ is very clean and simple, and can sound good even at extreme settings. VintageWarmer is the best thing going in the plugin world outside of the UA card. That comp can do wonders to anemic drums.

straatocastoer
audio school

Post by straatocastoer » Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:59 pm

Check out iZotpoe's Ozone .

The pluses: Affordable ($250), powerful, and lots of useful presets. Contains a good equalizer and good multiband dynamics processing. Plus it only takes up one effects slot in PT. It also has stereo imaging enhancement, aural exciter, reverb, and other features that make it a very useful tool. All in all, I like Ozone. I use it, and it can be serviceable as your "mastering" processor for those of us on a budget!

The minuses: Cumbersome on the processor as an RTAS plug. The latency it imparts on a track can be significant (I've seen up to 1024), so it might not be useful as a track plug unless you print the effect. It is an in depth multi effects processor, which means you have so many parameters you can tweak, that you could easily knock the sound right out of the mix through over processing.

Other EQs to check our that are wonderful in PT are the equalizer plugs made by URS. Their eqs are very nice indeed.

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:26 pm

PT wrote:What EQ and compressor plugins do you all find useful and somewhat affordable?

The Bombfactory stuff seems overpriced and makes you just want to steal the software. But do they sound good (Pultec, 1176, La2a, etc...)?

Another vote for PSP.

And also a reminder - please UTRFF

ValveTone Mastering
pluggin' in mics

Post by ValveTone Mastering » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:18 pm

Everything by PSP is quite good! The Bombfactory stuff is overated, but the MoogerFooger series is pretty sweet.

McDSP is an old-time favorite; they don't make my heart race but they are dependable, solid workhorses, especially the EQ.

Damon
Damon Whittemore
ValveTone Mastering - www.valvetone.com
TriTone Digital - www.tritonedigital.com
Dead Aunt Thelmas - www.thelmas.com/studio.html

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:47 pm

Sonalksis EQ and Compressor.
I really love these plugins.

TrumpsHair
buyin' gear

Post by TrumpsHair » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:25 pm

I use Vintage Warmer on bass, lead instruments, and on the master fader.

I also use Channelstrip, by metric halo, on acoustic guitars.

maz
buyin' a studio

Post by maz » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:41 pm

PT wrote:What EQ and compressor plugins do you all find useful and somewhat affordable?

I really like the McDSP stuff because it sounds good and is easy on the CPU. Some of the BombFactory stuff is FREE now- the 1176 and LA2A at least. That is, only for PT6 and above though. The 1176 is a CPU HOG but nothing is better on vocals, well, everything, IMO. I would put one on every channel if I could.

DryCounty
buyin' a studio

Post by DryCounty » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:02 pm

I love the BF76 but don't have much to compare it to -- I've never used a real one but this really does sound good and it's easy to use.

I'm not positive on this, but the BF76 was part of my "free bundle" which _had_ a bad expiration date. So digidesign decided to put the installer online. Feel free to check this out and see if you can get the free ones for yourself:

http://www.digidesign.com/products/deta ... ct_id=4201
"I would imagine that the inside of a bottle of cleaning fluid is fucking clean." -Hedberg
-----
Tulsa Drone
Dry County Records ? Richmond, Virginia
twitter: drycounty

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:05 pm

PT wrote:The PSP Vintage warmer and MasterQ seem cool and cheap.

Let me first start by saying that all my eqs began to sound better when I got my external clock thing sorted out. You're really not hearing the software as it was intended until you take such a step. I use the McDSP eq almost exclusively. The Pultec from Bombfactory isn't very good and I am intrigued to hear Universal Audio's unit. In class I teach the students with the Renaissance EQ as it has more of a visual reference than the Digirack eq. I hear that while the Sony Oxford EQ is good, with the George Massenberg mod it is unbeatable. I am also intrigued to try the URS plugins as they model all the traditional consoles.

For compressors, the McDSP Analog Channel is king.

BJohnston
ass engineer

Post by BJohnston » Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:22 am

Jeff,
I'm interested to see what you mean about sussing out the word clock issue. What does that intell. I have a Digi 001 setup with the works. Is the word clock thing applicable to me and my setup? Thanks for the help.

B.Johnston

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Al_Huero » Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:09 am

DryCounty wrote:I love the BF76 but don't have much to compare it to -- I've never used a real one but this really does sound good and it's easy to use.

I'm not positive on this, but the BF76 was part of my "free bundle" which _had_ a bad expiration date. So digidesign decided to put the installer online. Feel free to check this out and see if you can get the free ones for yourself:

http://www.digidesign.com/products/deta ... ct_id=4201
Thanks for that.