What Did You Work On Today? 1-05-05

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
cgarges
zen recordist

What Did You Work On Today? 1-05-05

Post by cgarges » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:13 pm

So...

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

citystate
takin' a dinner break

Re: What Did You Work On Today? 1-05-05

Post by citystate » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:27 pm

I worked on painting my studio up until 1am today (this morning). 10 hours on Monday, 9am-1am yesterday. Today half of the floor was put in. The whole thing is going to be done by Tuesday.

Kilroy
buyin' gear

Post by Kilroy » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:30 pm

Shoveled the driveway and walkway, and practiced guitar.

-chris

nipsy
pushin' record

Post by nipsy » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:31 pm

ordered tape..............

ValveTone Mastering
pluggin' in mics

Post by ValveTone Mastering » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:44 pm

It was a busy day! And it's not over...

A proposal to do a bunch of audio and video work for an internet psychic and tarot reader. No shit. Life is strange!

Also a couple of original pieces got sent out for review, I scheduled some sessions, emailed 2 clients with arrangement ideas and dealt with an unpaid vendor. Oh, I mixed a test song from a live show someone wants me to mix. And reviewed a bunch of client change requests to see what can be done in a week :)

Then I go home and really get to work on the plugins :)

Damon
Damon Whittemore
ValveTone Mastering - www.valvetone.com
TriTone Digital - www.tritonedigital.com
Dead Aunt Thelmas - www.thelmas.com/studio.html

UXB
steve albini likes it

Post by UXB » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:45 pm

Mixed in my underwear (teeth unbrushed) to get masters into the post to meet deadline. glamorous I tell ya!

-H

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:55 pm

Every year, I put together a CD with highlights of all the projects I've had to pleasure to've known. It's roughly evenly divided been pop/rock and piano/classical live performances and studio productions. The 23 tracks cover a range from powerhouse bar bands to sultry ballads to a'capella to choruses with orchestra. I figure this is the only way anyone can tell what level I'm working at. I also throw in a paragraph about each act, so you end up with a survey of the scene in the Albany, New York area, a vest-pocket cultural snapshot.

If you'd like one of these, they're complimentary to TapeOpppers. It's only a PM away.

Thanks!

Joel Patterson
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:20 pm

Had a meeting about a new project at 12 noon, then I feel like I was on the fucking phone the rest of the day... UGHHHHH.

Put up some tracks we had been working on with a pal who just had a heart attack.. sweet. Reworking the song to fit his basic vocal. He is alive but he isnt singing anytime soon I think. The song is STAYING on the new Book Of knots record no matter what though, so we are re-working it.

Bounced some instrumentals for a guy I was mixing, so he can use the tracks live at the viper room this week in L.A.... (yes, backing tracks!).

This is all during the 2 weeks I specifically booked "off" so we could re-do the floor in the live room at Studio G. Sweet day off.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:57 pm

--continued the arduous task of restoring all the exabyte backups from my Sonic Solutions system in order to transfer stuff into ProTools. I have lots and lots of effects stuff that was tracked straight into Sonic that I'd like to have in my library, and the Sonic system is going bye-bye when we move next month. Should've started this awhile ago...

--had a long discussion with the guy who's building the desk for the new control room. He's very concerned about how much space we don't have.

--that done, went over to the new space with my assistant Melissa and our video guy Matt (we share custody) to stand in the new studio, look around and try to determine if the space issues are really that bad. They are but we haven't got many options at this point.

--unpacked my bigass shipment from Sweetwater for the new studio! This is the exciting part. New ProTools HD, Massenburg and Focusrite pres, an absolute assload of plugs, a new U87 and an AEA R84 ribbon mic. The pres and mics I get to play with now, but the ProTools upgrade I have to wait a month for. I think I will live.

--Spoke to my brother about how to market the short film we're editing. Tonight I have to do more editing on it.

--Currently putting off driving home through all that damn snow.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

assfortress
steve albini likes it

Post by assfortress » Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:02 pm

I started mixing the stuff i recorded yesterday. So far the only thing giving me hell(and needing eq) is the kick. Its only for the band to practice along with but id still like it to kick ass.
"It?s the consequence you?ll pay, as long as you got the sound of it blowing up on tape."

Milkmansound
george martin

Post by Milkmansound » Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:02 pm

Drove 45 minutes to sit in a Hot Tub. At work now mixing loud as hell rock bands.
(((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))))
www.pedalsteelamp.com
www.milkmansound.com
Follow me on Facebook!

lharless
takin' a dinner break

Post by lharless » Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:10 pm

i worked on audio for a television commercial. for a hair salon, in my underwear, no shower, no food, drinking water. had three cigarettes all day.

could use a little meal... send money!

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:37 pm

lharless, you're turning me on.

I mean, assuming you are a buxom, lavicious, 18 year old blond female without discernable taste or morals but a strongly-held and monogamous loyalty to 44 year old balding overweight hobbyist-recordists who are hard-up enough to come-on to you in the Tape-op forum.

Otherwise, take a shower!

Today, I worked on healing the sprained pinky I suffered doing P-bass octave runs over the weekend; I'm not kidding, it hurts!
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

lharless
takin' a dinner break

Post by lharless » Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:43 pm

OH no no no!!! I'm a 33 year old male. im also balding. im also a little pudgy. i just like to mix in my undies. showers are secondary. audio comes first. im into chicks. although im sure you'd make someone a nice pal...

im just not into it bud.

haha!

stapes
takin' a dinner break

Post by stapes » Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:46 pm

I got to record some dobro and lap steel tracks with the founding member of the Cowboy Junkies. This project I'm working on is very vintage, in the vein of country/bluegrass from the fifties and sixties. One of the tracks needed some hawaiian lap steel, so he played a 57 les paul lap steel through a 40's gibson lap steel amp, mic'd up with an RCA 77dx that I scored last night for $600. Needless to say I fell in love with that mic and the sound immediately.

Erik Wofford
Stapes Audio