What Did You Work On Today? 1-05-05

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Re: What Did You Work On Today? 1-05-05

Post by Professor » Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:36 am

Chris it would have been nice to meet up with you since we didn't get together at the AES, but as it happened I was in Boston for the break. Flew out on the 24th, Christmas Eve & Day in Salem, and the rest of the time around the Boston area - mostly Cambridge and Chinatown and a bit of time in Allston because the friend I was staying with had some rehearsals and a gig down there.
But if you're planning a trip to the North Idaho / Eastern Washington region sometime soon you'll just have to drop by.

-J

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:36 am

Agghh - duplicate post. Damn you wireless internet!

YOUR KONG
buyin' a studio

Post by YOUR KONG » Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:40 am

Delayed Write Failed
Windows was unable to save all the data for the file F:\m$.
The data has been lost.
This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.

:cry:

Reuben
takin' a dinner break

Post by Reuben » Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:49 am

I spent the first half of the day arguing with the powers that be to try and get high-speed internet at my new apartment. Made no progress whatsoever. Seems to be the only downside of living in Red Hook so far. Everyone will gladly sign me up but delivering service is another matter. Big pain in the ass.

Then I spent time trying to put together some promo stuff to send out and visited with an old friend who's in town for a few days, cooked dinner and picked upp my wife from the train and that was pretty much my day. Didn't set foot in the studio and didn't play any music.

Bleah.
Reuben Radding
www.reubenradding.com

jamoo
buyin' a studio

Post by jamoo » Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:06 am

wrote a high tempo guitar solo (mine are more like "working breaks") in Dm for a cover I'll probably never finish. but maybe, who knows?

1 min 22 secs, the way to stretch out a song.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:31 am

vocal session for this band i like a lot..they are supposedly broken up..but im glad they still want to finish the record..i also worked my day job at the tv-station so I had a long 16hr day..i think it suits me though because i always have trouble falling asleep when I'm not tired..

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:59 am

continued submixing basics off of adat thru mackie 1604...great band...

Mike

Devlars
re-cappin' neve

Post by Devlars » Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:14 am

I went on a date with my "special ladyfriend". Dinner at Tom's Oyster Bar, a hot beverage at the local cafe and a movie, Life Aquatic. I'm working on wooing her in case anyone is wondering how what I mentioned is work. :wink:

Tonight will include: getting fitted for a tuxedo (best friends wedding in March) and band practice for the show on Saturday.
"Yes, you're very smart. Now shut up."
-Peter Falk
Speakerphone
Rexrode Records

ValveTone Mastering
pluggin' in mics

Post by ValveTone Mastering » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:05 am

stapes wrote:Erik Wofford
Stapes Audio
Erik,

Your name is familiar. Any chance you've worked with a local guy named Shane Bartell?

Damon
Damon Whittemore
ValveTone Mastering - www.valvetone.com
TriTone Digital - www.tritonedigital.com
Dead Aunt Thelmas - www.thelmas.com/studio.html

stapes
takin' a dinner break

Post by stapes » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:28 am

Never worked with Shane in the studio, but I've run live sound for him a few times. Shane's a great guy. Perhaps you've heard the name because of the mics.

Erik Wofford
Stapes Audio

ValveTone Mastering
pluggin' in mics

Post by ValveTone Mastering » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:45 am

stapes wrote:Never worked with Shane in the studio, but I've run live sound for him a few times. Shane's a great guy. Perhaps you've heard the name because of the mics.

Erik Wofford
Stapes Audio
No, your name seemed familiar. I worked with Shane some on a radio program we were attempting to develop together out of Dallas. While I was down there last he played me some tracks from an album he was working on, that he was thinking I might mix and/or master, and the name of the guy he was working with seemed like yours. Oh well! Shane is certainly a great guy and pretty damn talented. I owe him an email...

But, just so you know, I do indeed know of Stapes mics :)

Damon
Damon Whittemore

stapes
takin' a dinner break

Post by stapes » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:50 am

Lars Gorannson is the name of the guy that he's worked with in the past. Don't know if that's who he's working with now, but he's a very talented guy and fits Shane's style of music well. He's worked at my studio before and we got along great. We both have kind of nordic names, so maybe that's it.

Erik

ValveTone Mastering
pluggin' in mics

Post by ValveTone Mastering » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:04 am

Yep, that must be it! Maybe he mentioned your name at the same time. Anyway, small, small world!

Damon
Damon Whittemore

alissa
pushin' record

Post by alissa » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:33 am

i found a drummer. yeah!

creot.ivorylodge.net

NewAndImprov
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewAndImprov » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:54 am

TapeOpLarry wrote:I re-mixed some tracks at Sound Impressions in Portland for Caveman Hughscore, Caveman Shoestore band with Hugh Hopper (Soft Machine) - these tracks are 12 years old and the bassist (Fred Chalenor) found the master tape in a record store in Portland for sale! I'm doing the sessions at a studio I don't own because I don't have Dolby NR! The DDA console is nice but learning Digital Performer to mix into is nutty!
Cool! I played with Henry Franzoni in a band for abut 10 years, and Fred is an old friend as well!

I had a bummer day yesterday. Woke up to find an email that an old friend of mine had been found dead in his apartment on Xmas day. He was a semi-famous anthroplolgy professor, had left Oregon for Texas A&M a few years ago, and we got out of touch. He was only 64.

Then, had to fix a mastering job I did last week. For some reason, Logic was inserting tiny digital dropouts into the final bounces, and I couldn't find any reason for it to be doing so. Checked and rechecked clock issues, all that crap. Took 4 sets of bounces to get relatively clean mixes. After each bounce, I'd listen to the piece through in Peak, zoomed out to about 1 sec/full screen. Finally found that there were 4 glitches that were in the CD's of mixes I got from the client. Fixed those, and got it into the mail at 5:25 pm.

Spent the evening futzing around in the Mailman mail list management software to fix the spam list for my band.

Sometimes I feel like computers are making my waste my life. At least I get to go play a gig tonight.