Question about an Effect used by Elliott Smith???

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
iloveopiates
audio school

Question about an Effect used by Elliott Smith???

Post by iloveopiates » Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:43 pm

Does anyone know what effect pedal Elliott Smith used that produces a flangy roatating speaker sound? He especially used it alot on his last album From A Basement On A Hill. I want to buy one if I can find out what it is. The only effects I found by way of on-line searching that he used was a line 6 dl4 delay thing, and a Phat Buddah overdrive. The effect I'm speaking of almost sounds uni-vibey ala Let It Be sessions Beatles. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Noah
pluggin' in mics

Re: Question about an Effect used by Elliott Smith???

Post by Noah » Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:00 pm

maybe he actually used a rotating leslie speaker rather than a pedal.

skinnyemo77
takin' a dinner break

Post by skinnyemo77 » Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:00 pm

I was under the impression that his studio and Dave McConnell's (The Basement on The Hill, as referenced by the title of the record) had A LOT of old school gear. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if he was using a Leslie Rotating Speaker as a guitar cabinet.

iloveopiates
audio school

Post by iloveopiates » Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:49 pm

Perhaps he did use an authentic rotating speaker, but the definitive answer would come from anyone who has heard that same effect on one of his live recordings? Also I hear a flange style sound in with the rotating effect. I haven't really tried any of the roatating effect boxes out there such as the Hughes and Kettner Roto sound and what not, does anyone have any opinions or feedback regarding that one or any suggestions? (as long as its a anaolg and true bypass pedal)

Thanks.

lonesome_tone
takin' a dinner break

Post by lonesome_tone » Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:49 pm

you're talking about Fond Farewell to a Friend, right?

based on what I know about his studio it was a real leslie or perhaps a Vibratone. it does sound a little Pedal-ey to me... something about the stereo spread. you could probably get something really close/exactly close from the Line 6 MM-4 - it has both types of rotating speaker.

Catoogie
buyin' a studio

Post by Catoogie » Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:54 am

(as long as its a anaolg and true bypass pedal)
Ugh, as a reformed guitar gear geek I'm begining to realize how creepy these kinds of statements.

Having said that....Korg G4 Rotary Speaker Simulator!

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:59 am

Noah wrote:maybe he actually used a rotating leslie speaker rather than a pedal.

Check and Mate.

lonesome_tone
takin' a dinner break

Post by lonesome_tone » Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:37 pm

Catoogie wrote:
Ugh, as a reformed guitar gear geek I'm begining to realize how creepy these kinds of statements.

EXACTLY! Like if he found out E. Smith was using a digitech pedal or whatever, he would somehow not like the song/sound anymore.

Mix413
buyin' gear

Post by Mix413 » Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:58 pm

Can't say for sure what he used on the record but I recorded him for a radio show here a couple of years ago and he was quite into a floor pedal effects box. I clearly remember a backwards patch but I don't recall if there was a leslie thing in the same box.
Very talented guy.
Estudio Ensenada
Rincon, Puerto Rico
https://www.facebook.com/estudio.ensenada.PR/

iloveopiates
audio school

Post by iloveopiates » Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:34 pm

Posted: Fri 07.01.05, 6:37 pm Post subject: Re: Question about an Effect used by Elliott Smith???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Catoogie wrote:
Quote:

EXACTLY! Like if he found out E. Smith was using a digitech pedal or whatever, he would somehow not like the song/sound anymore.

BY LONESOME TONE.

SCREW YOU DUDE, JUST BECAUSE HE MAY HAVE USED SOMETHING DIGITAL OR PRODUCTION LINE WOULDN'T CHANGE MY OPINION OF ANY OF HIS STUFF. THINK BEFORE YOU POST DUSH!!!

ITS A KNOWN FACT THAT ESOTERIC ANALOG TRUE BYPASS PEDALS SOUND WAY BETTER THAN P[RODUCTION LINE STUFF SUCH AS BOSS AND DIGITECH!

GO TO HELL!

Echos Myron
takin' a dinner break

Post by Echos Myron » Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:52 pm

iloveopiates wrote:

SCREW YOU DUDE, JUST BECAUSE HE MAY HAVE USED SOMETHING DIGITAL OR PRODUCTION LINE WOULDN'T CHANGE MY OPINION OF ANY OF HIS STUFF. THINK BEFORE YOU POST DUSH!!!

ITS A KNOWN FACT THAT ESOTERIC ANALOG TRUE BYPASS PEDALS SOUND WAY BETTER THAN P[RODUCTION LINE STUFF SUCH AS BOSS AND DIGITECH!

GO TO HELL!
Wow. Welcome to the board iloveoplates.

(it's douche)

I know the sound you're talking about--in the Schnapf and Rothrock (XO and Figure 8 ) interview in the tape op book, they mention the use of the Small Stone and Phase 90 which kind of simulate a rotating speaker sound--and they're analog for ya.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:46 pm

Yowza. Guess I better throw out my Super Time Line, Wavestation, SQ-80, etc.

I think Elliot was just playing guitar into a fan. An analog fan.

jamoo
buyin' a studio

Post by jamoo » Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:49 pm

Alesis has an effect like this -- when you saying flangy and rotating it's the first thing I think of, beside the real thing.

You can hear it on just about any organ patch on a QS synth if you raise the MOD wheel. The only adjustments are two speeds and the "horn level" which is nice. (no 'phase' setting or freq in Hz or excessively technical distractions)

I'm sure it's on the -verbs (the Quadra at least).

It sounds good. Definitely not douchey. :)

slimjw
pluggin' in mics

Post by slimjw » Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:09 am

King's Crossing and Fond Farewell totally sound like real Leslie to me. Especially King's Crossing. Sounds like double or even triple tracked Leslied guitar parts in the prelude/intro part before the drums kick in.