poor man's leslie?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

poor man's leslie?

Post by ubertar » Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:11 pm

A pignose (or other battery-powered amp) on a turntable? Just a thought.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Re: poor man's leslie?

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:30 pm

I simply used a wireless mic on a turntable in front of any guitar amp. You can even "play" the 33-45 rpm selector (or more if you have 78rpm).

Sounds amazingly weird, but sort of leslie-esque. certainly quite cool though, especially with a mic right on the speaker and the rotating mic printed for effect.

I did this with a vocal through an amp with the rotating mic and that was GREAT as well. I wish I had two wireless mics, for stereo weirdness, as you could put the m at 45 degrees or 90 or whatever, for weird variations of "fly by" type effexxx...

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:33 pm

Oh yeah, and even a piece of wood on a turntable, tall enough (like 12" high) I used a pair of bookends with a scrap of plywood, and put that between a ribbon mic and the speaker of the guitar amp. Totally made for some neato phase/ flange/ rotary effects. Even without a wireless mic. Just put a boundary on a turntable.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:35 pm

I had a feeling you'd reply to this thread, Joel. :lol:

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:27 pm

I've got a motion sound pro-3 t, which I think I paid around 500 bucks for and it's definitely worth it. A pignose isn't going to come close to a leslie. I've put a synth through a rotovibe and into a marshall, and gotten a pretty decent organ sound -- sort of Deep Purplish.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:30 pm

You're missing the point, stillafool.

maz
buyin' a studio

Post by maz » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:43 pm

ubertar wrote:You're missing the point, stillafool.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

GLEA
pushin' record

Post by GLEA » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:49 pm

I have this Italian accordian box, an Excelcior thingie.. I bought it at and accordian shop in North Dakota. They guy wanted $200+ for it, but I knew it had been there for at least a year. When I opened my wallet to put his card in, he saw my $100, and said (in his wheezy, too many cigs voice) "I'll take the hundred". Killer, it even speeds up and slows down when you stomp on it. I can carry it in one hand, unlike the real leslie that is still in my garage,... wanna buy it?
the country that rules magnetism, rules the world
http://www.donovans-brain.com

Ivon
steve albini likes it

Post by Ivon » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:13 pm

Joel Hamilton wrote:I simply used a wireless mic on a turntable in front of any guitar amp. You can even "play" the 33-45 rpm selector (or more if you have 78rpm).
WTF...newbie here. How'd you mount the mic/how'd the vocalist sing through it? That's pretty cool, but, I'm having a tough time visualizing it.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:18 pm

iwokojance wrote:
Joel Hamilton wrote:I simply used a wireless mic on a turntable in front of any guitar amp. You can even "play" the 33-45 rpm selector (or more if you have 78rpm).
WTF...newbie here. How'd you mount the mic/how'd the vocalist sing through it? That's pretty cool, but, I'm having a tough time visualizing it.
No, not vocals. Guitar. A wireless mic spinning in circles in front of a guitar cab. Get it? Instead of spinning the speaker, spin the mic. Brilliant.

Ivon
steve albini likes it

Post by Ivon » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:21 pm

Okay, I get it. That's awesome!

Thanks.

Scodiddly
speech impediment

Post by Scodiddly » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:48 pm

I was playing around with this concept a year ago when I was given an old tube-amp record player. I even built a sort of mockup of the bottom rotor drum, but the best results came from a piece of foamcore standing up on the turntable and either between speaker and mic, or mic at 90 degrees to pick up reflected sound.

But even at 78 it wasn't fast enough to get a spinning Leslie sound. The animation makes it look faster than it really was.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:56 pm

Scodiddly wrote:I was playing around with this concept a year ago when I was given an old tube-amp record player. I even built a sort of mockup of the bottom rotor drum, but the best results came from a piece of foamcore standing up on the turntable and either between speaker and mic, or mic at 90 degrees to pick up reflected sound.

But even at 78 it wasn't fast enough to get a spinning Leslie sound. The animation makes it look faster than it really was.

That is incredibly awesome and inventive nonetheless.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

Scodiddly
speech impediment

Post by Scodiddly » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:05 am

You know, I don't think I even tried it with a mic, just putting my head in various spots. Really I was looking for something cool to do live.

I wonder what it would sound like if I'd put one mic opposite the speaker, one on the side... and panned left and right?

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:35 am

I don't know, but i'd like to hear it. That record player is beautiful, where did you get that from?
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com