Earth opens up and swallows Digidesign whole!

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by wayne kerr » Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:34 pm

Now we HAVE to go back to tape!!!!!

Wooooooooooooo!

SMH
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

Cappy*tan
gettin' sounds

Re: Earth opens up and swallows Digidesign whole!

Post by Cappy*tan » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:03 pm

About friggin' time. heh

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:09 pm

You can swallow all the Digidesign you want... and then MOTU will just rise into its place.

As my high school band director used to say, "Don't be a pimple on the ass of progress."

-Jeremy

wayne kerr

Post by wayne kerr » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:14 pm

Professor wrote:You can swallow all the Digidesign you want... and then MOTU will just rise into its place.

As my high school band director used to say, "Don't be a pimple on the ass of progress."

-Jeremy
I hate your high school band teacher!! And progress doesn't always mean good.

SMH
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

dougo
pushin' record

Post by dougo » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:27 pm

Professor wrote:You can swallow all the Digidesign you want... and then MOTU will just rise into its place.

-Jeremy
Always been a pimple. always will. Dammit, if I have to take over the world and buy that damn tape plant I will!! I like my computer, but don't fuck with the good sound of tape. FYI, I don't yet own a tape machine but I will. How's that for confidence or stupidity...

Cheers again,
Dougo
"To live on the land, one must learn from the sea." Jacques-Yves Cousteau
1910-1997

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:32 pm

I'll admit he had his moments, but then he was in the 82nd Airborne for more than 20 years.

And while Progress might not always please everyone, it is a necessary course for the advancement of civilization. It was after all the pursuit of Progress that brought you tape recording in the first place. And Progress that didn't stop at mono tape machines, but advanced to 2, 3, 4, 8, 16, and 24 tracks of tape, and brought you different formulations of tape. And Progress has kept marching forward giving you all these wonderful gifts along the way. And while Progress may have run her course with your particular medium of choice, she is fast at work trying to find suitable replacements that may bring a totally new dimension to your art - if you're willing. And if not, then there will likely be enough analog tape available for a few more years, perhaps even for the rest of your career, just as sure as you can still find replacement ribbons for those microphones RCA stopped building a decade before I was born.

-Jeremy

goldenechos
gettin' sounds

Post by goldenechos » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:54 pm

Professor wrote:I'll admit he had his moments, but then he was in the 82nd Airborne for more than 20 years.

And while Progress might not always please everyone, it is a necessary course for the advancement of civilization. It was after all the pursuit of Progress that brought you tape recording in the first place. And Progress that didn't stop at mono tape machines, but advanced to 2, 3, 4, 8, 16, and 24 tracks of tape, and brought you different formulations of tape. And Progress has kept marching forward giving you all these wonderful gifts along the way. And while Progress may have run her course with your particular medium of choice, she is fast at work trying to find suitable replacements that may bring a totally new dimension to your art - if you're willing. And if not, then there will likely be enough analog tape available for a few more years, perhaps even for the rest of your career, just as sure as you can still find replacement ribbons for those microphones RCA stopped building a decade before I was born.

-Jeremy
Amen.

misterock
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by misterock » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:27 pm

If it wasn't for Digidesign I wouldn't be half the man I am...2" tape? Head maintenance? Allignment? Bias? Fly in? No copy & paste? No strip silence? Please be careful wiping!

Big dough for those moster decks, the least they could do is provide you with tape! And they will.

Record to PT transfer to tape and back to PT...good to go!

Spark
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Spark » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:31 pm

Ah crap. And I just bought me some Protools... You know, some days life just aint fair,

radiationroom
steve albini likes it

Post by radiationroom » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:21 pm

The Spark wrote:Earth opens up and swallows Digidesign whole!

Ah crap. And I just bought me some Protools... You know, some days life just aint fair,
THANK GOD FOR RADAR!! Long live iZ Technologies!

GLEA
pushin' record

Post by GLEA » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:43 pm

I love progress. But I'm in the MOTU camp. After, wait, what year is this... at least 40 years of good relationships with tape, I've move on. Not to say I won't ever go back, but the only times I've run the 16 track since June, was to load stuff into the computer. It's ok, but make sure your 'puter is running well and all is good before you do....
the country that rules magnetism, rules the world
http://www.donovans-brain.com

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:27 pm

The Spark wrote:Earth opens up and swallows Digidesign whole!

That's nothing. They are only a few miles from my house....

analogcabin
buyin' gear

Post by analogcabin » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:47 pm

DJ Carli wrote:THANK GOD FOR RADAR!! Long live iZ Technologies!
Here Here my Brother!!!

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:53 pm

And as we set the time machine for 1947 or thereabouts...

Crap! I can't believe we have to use this tape shit! Aren't people upset that the last wax cylinder factory is closing? Tape sounds like absolute crap. And all that rewinding... drives me nuts, when on the lacquer I could just pick up the needle and move the damn thing!

Plus this tape is way too fragile... put in next to a magnet and it loses the signal. How fucking stupid is that?

You can have my Edison recorder when you pry it out of my cold, dead fingers.

wayne kerr

Post by wayne kerr » Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:20 am

Scodiddly wrote:And as we set the time machine for 1947 or thereabouts...

Crap! I can't believe we have to use this tape shit! Aren't people upset that the last wax cylinder factory is closing? Tape sounds like absolute crap. And all that rewinding... drives me nuts, when on the lacquer I could just pick up the needle and move the damn thing!

Plus this tape is way too fragile... put in next to a magnet and it loses the signal. How fucking stupid is that?

You can have my Edison recorder when you pry it out of my cold, dead fingers.
Cute, but tape DID sound better than wax cylinders. Protools DOES NOT sound better than tape. Subjective, sure, but walk around a NAMM show and listen to all the dudez who've actually made a few records. They love tape. But they don't use it. WTF???? See 20+ page rant for answers...

SMH
-Hunter S. Thompson