Hum on 002 set-up

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Hum on 002 set-up

Post by Rigsby » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:16 am

Went over to my friend's yesterday and he has quite some hum on his 002, sounds like something's not earthed but i don't know what this could be. He reckons the one at our school had the same thing and that's how it is with pro tools but surely that's just nonsense, what do i suggest he does?

...and keep it clean please gentlemen.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Re: Hum on 002 set-up

Post by Rigsby » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:33 am

...Just make that clearer, i'm almost entirely certain that the hum's on the mic pres. How do you get rid of it?

rigsbysmith.com

Davin
audio school graduate

Post by Davin » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:25 am

I had that problem. I restarted my computer and it stoped.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:43 am

Karl wrote:I had that problem. I restarted my computer and it stoped.
He says it's always there, and always was on the machine at college too. It's totally fucked up the guitar tracks i put down yesterday, really annoying, but at least the percussion's fine ...actually they're awesome (not played by me, so that's not own trumpet blowing), but i'm going to have to do the guitars again. Boo.

Anyone else?

rigsbysmith.com

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Al_Huero » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:03 pm

Check the whole signal path. I've had things pluggged in before that generated noise by the way they were set up. You shouldn't have noise on your tracks. I also know there was an issue with the power harness on some of the 002 rack units; could be a similar issue.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:35 pm

I think i'm going to have to pursuade him to check the whole path, he doesn't seem so bothered by it, just accepts it, but it just seems almost idiotic not to get the best from your gear and let something like that ride.

rigsbysmith.com

ladewd
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by ladewd » Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:07 am

I had some strange low-mid frequency clock noise coming from my 002. It wasn't hum, but could best be described as digital hash. What cured it was using balanced outputs instead of unbalanced ones.

CA

macr0w
alignin' 24-trk

Post by macr0w » Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:56 am

Hello there, I don't know how to solve your problem, but I do know that I don't get any hum thru my 002R. Using outboard pres, comps or fx all is quiet. Try to lift the ground if that's possible. I'm sure your using balanced cables. Maybe a different power outlet.???
002R, Command/8
AMD 64 3500+
www.clearspotrecording.com

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:29 am

macr0w wrote:Maybe a different power outlet.???
Hadn't thought of that, i'll call him and tell him that, perhaps he's using a 4-way plug adaptor or something as well, i should check that out, thanks!

rigsbysmith.com

ladewd
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by ladewd » Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:19 am

That's a good idea. In addition to using balanced cables, I did make sure the mac was plugged into the same circuit as the rest of my audio gear. Now its dead quiet.

CA

tonylamont
audio school graduate

Post by tonylamont » Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:45 am

Don't know if this is the same problem, but . . .

I have had problems with the 002 picking up interference from the attached computer -- the problem presents itself as a high pitched whine. It gets worse if a guitar is located near the computer itself while recording because the pickups respond to the noise coming out of the computer. However, it seems it happens occasionally even when i'm recording something other than a guitar. It tends to get better if I allow the computer to run on its battery rather than external AC. So it may be some sort of power issue.

urbanverb
audio school graduate

Post by urbanverb » Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:49 pm

I know that Apple G5's have a power supply issue that creates weird noises through monitors. If it is a G5 and it is under warranty, Apple will repair it for free. I got mine fixed. Another thing to try on OSX is to search for and open Plug-in validator before you start Protools LE.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:19 am

urbanverb wrote:I know that Apple G5's have a power supply issue that creates weird noises through monitors. If it is a G5 and it is under warranty, Apple will repair it for free. I got mine fixed. Another thing to try on OSX is to search for and open Plug-in validator before you start Protools LE.
It's a Carillon PC he's using. I think next time i go round i'll try to pursade him that that sound really isn't supposed to be there and go from there with some of the suggestions here, the answer has to be there somewhere.

rigsbysmith.com