monster

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
bigtoe
deaf.

monster

Post by bigtoe » Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:10 am

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,141 ... 25,00.html

saw this on RAP. yet another reason to roll your eyes or flip the bird in the general direction of monster cable.

Mike

midiot
pushin' record

Re: monster

Post by midiot » Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:13 am

That dudes hairstyle makes me want to flip him the bird.
boom-ptch-boom

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:17 am

So, let's not buy Monster Cables until they stop feeding the Useless Litigation Machine.

I mean, what's next? Sue Sesame Street for the use of Cookie Monster?

Besides, I have often questioned some of their 'dubious physics'.
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:20 am

agreed...but for some reason it doesn't piss me off on an older guy as much as some 20 something wanna be...i saw an oberlin student with that horseshit going on a couple weeks ago...i wanted to drive him over!

"So, let's not buy Monster Cables until they stop feeding the Useless Litigation Machine."

way ahead of you...why spend so much money on this stuff? the fact that guitar center has a wall of it and little other except for way cheap crap bums me out...now mogami has started marketting themselves this way...high end....good cable doesn't need the starbucks marketing treatment...

pax,

MIke

fedexnman
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by fedexnman » Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:25 am

my prediction: " the co. formly known as monster cable " when all is done !!!! hahahahahaah.......
is it beer 30 yet?????

jspartz
buyin' gear

Post by jspartz » Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:29 am

I have always felt that the only thing different between Monster cable and other vendors is the price. I will not purchase Monster cable products.

Fighting the man,

Jason

parlormusic
pushin' record

Post by parlormusic » Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:45 am

I hate it when companies do this. What's next? I suppose Webster will be the next victim because they list "monter" in their dictionary?

This same sort of thing just happened to a company my wife works for. Their company abreviates their name to HHP just for their website because their full name tends to pull up adult content when entered into a search engine. Their company name isn't adult oriented, but the combination of words tricks the search engines. They don't even manufacture anything similar to Hewlett Packard's products. Low and behold, Hewlett Packard (aka HP) entered a lawsuit against HHP because "HHP" is too close to "HP". WTF?!!! Will USPS be sued by UPS some day because they happen to contain some common letters?

This world is nuts.
Knowledge is power...ONLY IF IT IS APPLIED!

Find the Lowest Prices on the NET & Get Paid to Shop!
www.grobux.com/register/11395

llmonty
re-cappin' neve

Post by llmonty » Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:23 am

I agree this is all total bullshit. And I hate Monster just as much as the next guy. The prices are just stupid high and prey on the uninformed consumer. And suing moms and pops is just plain mean.

However, I think the biggest problem is that they were allowed to trademark the word 'monster' in the first place. It is just so common in everyday venacular. Beyond the obvious use of the word (ie scary beasties) it is often use in a similar was as 'extreme' or 'giant' etc. Just dumb, given how common it is.

Now if monster cable was called bigdumboverpricedcableco and the discovery channel had a show called bigdumboverpricedcableco garage, then i would see the problem
richmond is a really cool town - supafuzz

lifeintime
gettin' sounds

Post by lifeintime » Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:25 am

The word of the day is "HOMEWORK". Monster is more of a marketing machine than a cable supplier. In Phoenix, they flood all of the stores with their brochures and then give incentives to the sales staff to push the stuff at 100% markup.

Bought an HD television last year and the salesman just assumed I wanted the $80 whizbang Monster (can i say that here?) HD RGB cables. Without asking me, the horses ass just started writing them up. The problem is that the general public doesn't know any better and doesn't want to take the time to know the difference. Stores know this and exploit it. Your mileage may vary.

Mogami and Neutrix in my little ol' studio for me!!!!
What? No Gravy???

soundcloud.com/LifeInTimeMusic

llmonty
re-cappin' neve

Post by llmonty » Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:26 am

parlormusic wrote:This same sort of thing just happened to a company my wife works for. Their company abreviates their name to HHP just for their website because their full name tends to pull up adult content when entered into a search engine.
What's the name of the company? The law offices of Huge, Hung & Pecker? I could see how that would bring up adult sites. :wink:
richmond is a really cool town - supafuzz

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:29 am

If judges would tell the companies that file this type of suit, and the lawyers that represent them, to go fuck themselves (but dressed up in some nice sounding legal language) this would stop. Monster shouldn't have a leg to stand on. It looks like most of these companies have nothing to do with wire or cable markets (OK, I guess the guy producing videos has to use cables).

This kind of shit really pisses me off. What happened to common sense?

Fuck you Monster!

In fact, that's my new signature line. Now they can sue me too.

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:49 am

well...stopping lawsuits is double edged...look at what's coming down the pike in the medical malpractice shit...insurence companies making a killing killing will be making more.

but yeah...monster is making money with these settlements and with liscencing the word monster. lame.

RR- Bacon on the avatar? dig it.

Mike

housepig
buyin' gear

Post by housepig » Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:04 am

llmonty wrote: However, I think the biggest problem is that they were allowed to trademark the word 'monster' in the first place.
no, that's okay - they have to protect themselves within their sphere of doing business - if I started a company called "monster cable" or even "monster cords" or "monster wires", dealing in audio cabling, I would expect to be sued.

but claiming that since they got to "monster" first in their limited class of doing business, and then expecting that to prevent others from using that term across the board, is completely ridiculous. it's turning the Trademark protection concept on it's head.

I hope this snowboard guy gets a favorable ruling.

and for the record, I've never thought one way or another about Monster cables. that has now changed. unfavorably.
- housepig

Housepig Records
free mp3's

parlormusic
pushin' record

Post by parlormusic » Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:06 am

llmonty wrote:
parlormusic wrote:This same sort of thing just happened to a company my wife works for. Their company abreviates their name to HHP just for their website because their full name tends to pull up adult content when entered into a search engine.
What's the name of the company? The law offices of Huge, Hung & Pecker? I could see how that would bring up adult sites. :wink:
LOL...
I'd rather not say what the company name is because I also work for the same group of companies. They make bar code scanners. Do a search for HHP and you'll find the company.
Knowledge is power...ONLY IF IT IS APPLIED!

Find the Lowest Prices on the NET & Get Paid to Shop!
www.grobux.com/register/11395

Coco
re-cappin' neve

Post by Coco » Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:16 am

I will never buy anything from Monster Cable now. Not like I was going to anyway.
I know enough to know that I don't know what I am doing.

Generals and Majors http://www.myspace.com/generalsandmajors