Studio Fatigue. Where do you feel it first?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Studio Fatigue. Where do you feel it first?

Post by Ryan Silva » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:00 am

The strange thing about living in DAW world is that my eyes get worn out faster than my ears. Gazing into comp screens for 8 hrs really gets to my brain. :shock: The only thing I can do is ware sunglasses, but thats just cause I'm cool lke that. 8)

Next...
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

doc
pushin' record

Re: Studio Fatigue. Where do you feel it first?

Post by doc » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:09 am

I feel you on the weary eyes thing. What I've been doing for the last year or so is not paying attention to it while tracking. I make a point of watching the band as much as possible and not staring at the meters on the screen. During mixing, I typically throw my sweatshirt over the screen every so often and just sit back and listen. I won't let bands watch the screen during final mixdown either so that they're listening to the mix and not watching the colors, moving line, or bouncing lights on the screen. I save my ears by listening at volumes from very quiet to (occasionaly) very loud, and everything in between. It's amazing to me how fresh my ears get when I just move the master fader up or down a few notches. You hear things you weren't even listening for before.

-Doc

superpenguin79
audio school graduate

Post by superpenguin79 » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:09 am

yep, eye strain, wrist strain, and ear strain are some of the most common working on a DAW now days. Sometimes its a good thing to get out of the studio for a while when you're at that point and take a walk, take a break, or just do something else to give your senses time to recoup. Your mixes will thank you a lot down the road when you return to them. :D
please check out my site: www.charlienaebeck.com

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:56 am

definitely eye strain. the @#$^%&* computer. the stupidest it's gotten for me was editing vocal tracks on my record. due to an incompetant engineer (yours truly) the singer was too close to the mic and there tons of these obnoxious clips on the hard consonants. they were easy to see when i zoomed in, and equally easy to deal with, but there were lots of them...so i had the process down to a science, but i found myself just staring at the screen and not blinking for, i dunno, minutes at a time. then when i did blink my eyes were all dried out and it was mighty fucking painful.

stupid.

vocals came out sounding pretty good though. :)

conversely, the last two projects i've done were bands all playing together straight to my otari 5050. fucking heavenly easy and fun in comparison.

listening at low levels definitely helps with the ear fatigue. if i'm working on something all day, i usually start around noon or one and go until 2-3 in the morning. i almost always start out monitoring reasonably loud and keep turning it down throughout the day....by 3am its barely audible, but i feel like i can hear everything just fine.

oobedoob
alignin' 24-trk

Post by oobedoob » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:59 am

just curious, are we talking about CRT's or LCD's here?
"Revolution is not a dinner party." -Sun Yat-Sen

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:07 pm

Tonedrone wrote:The strange thing about living in DAW world is that my eyes get worn out faster than my ears. Gazing into comp screens for 8 hrs really gets to my brain. :shock: The only thing I can do is ware sunglasses, but thats just cause I'm cool lke that. 8)

Next...
What is the refresh rate on your monitor?

If you have the resolution cranked up so high that you can only manage 70 Hz or less, you have the recipe for eye strain.

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:13 pm

oobedoob wrote:just curious, are we talking about CRT's or LCD's here?
Big, bulky off-white CRT's are you suggjesting that there is a diffrence in eye strain? Hmm?

MoreSpaceEcho

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:21 pm

I usually just start feeling dizzy and sort if "stoned" my mind becomes mooshey and I get hungry then i get cranky and can get snappy..

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:26 pm

BEARD_OF_BEES wrote:I usually just start feeling dizzy and sort if "stoned" my mind becomes mooshey and I get hungry then i get cranky and can get snappy..
Me to, then I stop hitting the bong. :roll:

MoreSpaceEcho

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:27 pm

Plus the other thing is if you're working PC's in the day job, coming home to the hobby of recording probably seems less inviting if you have to start with the screen all over again. That's why I'm thinking of either staying with cassette/1/4" for a bit longer and then I dunno, getting a wotsit. Digital mullet-tracker.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:32 pm

bobbydj wrote:Plus the other thing is if you're working PC's in the day job, coming home to the hobby of recording probably seems less inviting if you have to start with the screen all over again. That's why I'm thinking of either staying with cassette/1/4" for a bit longer and then I dunno, getting a wotsit. Digital mullet-tracker.
It's not so bad.

What would you be doing otherwise? Watching tv?

midiot
pushin' record

Post by midiot » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:40 pm

I'm finding it to be my ears. And I dont even monitor that loud.
boom-ptch-boom

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:54 pm

bobbydj wrote:Digital mullet-tracker.
are those the ones that record shredding solos and clunky riffs for you?

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:03 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
bobbydj wrote:Digital mullet-tracker.
are those the ones that record shredding solos and clunky riffs for you?
Or drum fills that go Blik-ca Blik-ca Blik-ca

MoreSpaceEcho

superpenguin79
audio school graduate

Post by superpenguin79 » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:13 pm

bobbydj wrote:Plus the other thing is if you're working PC's in the day job, coming home to the hobby of recording probably seems less inviting if you have to start with the screen all over again. That's why I'm thinking of either staying with cassette/1/4" for a bit longer and then I dunno, getting a wotsit. Digital mullet-tracker.
yep, good call. I work for a large ISP and have that prob. all the time coming home. When I build a room eventually, I am going to put a classic analog console in there to take care of that prob. and help things out a little bit and maybe only one monitor if I include any a/d converters for digital yet. :)
please check out my site: www.charlienaebeck.com