Pictures and words and sounds of recording sessions

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
dynomike
carpal tunnel

Pictures and words and sounds of recording sessions

Post by dynomike » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:07 pm

Sorry to cross post as this is in the mp3 forum also, but I thought some people might be interested:

I've just (kind of) finished recording 3 tracks and I have the rough mixes up, along with photos and descriptions of what mics, compressors, etc. are used. It took me about 4 hours so I hope someone can learn from it or enjoy it at least!

www.mikekuehn.ca/recording.htm

Mike
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

superpenguin79
audio school graduate

Re: Pictures and words and sounds of recording sessions

Post by superpenguin79 » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:09 pm

very cool, can't listen right now caus I am at work unfortunately but everything looks like it went pretty well for you. It is always cool to document caus you can always go back through your previous work and find out how far you have progressed and which directions you have gone in..etc. ya know. :)
please check out my site: www.charlienaebeck.com

Kilroy
buyin' gear

Post by Kilroy » Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:05 pm

Very cool stuff, i like the first song a lot, Candy apple, i think it is. Good Job.

-chris

helmuth
steve albini likes it

Post by helmuth » Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:40 pm

I thought "wow, this is ambitous, but where are the other two songs?" Then I realized you did a page per song. A+! I love it.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:07 pm

I gotta comment on this Mike. Personally I appreciate you taking all that time to talk about the tracking of each song and taking pictures. That's one of the coolest things I've seen in a while. It's extremely interesting and I give you huge prop's for being so kind and informative.

I like Candy Apple a Whole lot but really really like Not Blinking. The guitars sound fabulous, you did a great job as the musician and engineer. It's a really interesting song too. The drums really rock on everything.

I didn't think people played Vantage guitars any more. I loved my Vantage when I was in school and regret ever selling it.

Your vocals have improved dramatically, I like your voice.

Great music Mike. Thanks for giving us all a good look at your studio and your process.

lonesome_tone
takin' a dinner break

Post by lonesome_tone » Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:59 pm

hey,

what i heard was really good. a little light for my taste but far from the realm of cheesy, so kudos. it reminded me alot (especially your voice) of the last Nada Surf album. so, if you don't know it- hear it.

i use a peavey combo amp as a drum accesory too, but i use one as a throne! i know, i know. one of many drum upgrades i need...

Paul Fury 161
gettin' sounds

Post by Paul Fury 161 » Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:44 am

Hi Mike. I liked the tracks, and it is a very nice thing to do for everybody to document it so thoroughly and methodically. I liked the tunes,, especially "Not Blinking", the key change is a good idea for lots of reasons. I think the best improvement from the demos to the second versions of the tracks though is not mixing, tones, placemnet or whatever, but your performance - which is the best bit to improve anyway, so nice one!I thought the toms sounded great and well tuned, but most importantly, well played.

If it was my stuff (I do similar stuff where i play guitar drums sing track mix wash the dishes etc ;-p ) i'd try and inject more passion, y'know, really let it boil over, don't worry about splitting vocal notes or whatever, try and exaggerate the dynamics iat the climax of the song -really hammer the flams/lay into the acoustic guitar etc.Just because music is "acoustic based" doesn't mean it can't have some blood on the strings!

Anyway, enough of my whinging- iy's great stuff, keep up the good work!

Take it easy,

Paul Fury 161
"These mixes are really great. I only want to re-record all the guitars and vocals - can I have the masters please?"

www.myspace.com/extinguishher

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:33 am

Thanks for the kind comments guys! I'll let you know when the Ep is done.. in the meantime, I'm uploading the remixed versions of Not Blinking and All Grow, so you can expect that in 2 hours (dial up)...

Kenny, you're right.. no one plays Vantage anymore. I really love that guitar though. It was my brother's first guitar, and plays like a bit of a pig, but has wicked low end and CRAZY high output pickups.

Lonesometone, I love the last nada surf album so I take that as a compliment. Matthew always has a great vocal sound on the recordings.. I was so surprised to find out that all he ever uses is an SM7 on "proximity effect" and "let go"! I guess I shouldn't underestimate dynamics, after all, I used the m99 on "Not Blinking".

Paul, yeah, I kinda pussied out on Candy Apple, but I think I like it mellower. The other tracks have a much stronger (read: louder) vocal performance. Hopefully you'll like the new version of all grow I'm uploading.. I used blockfish this time to add a bit of grit to the lead vocals.

Mike
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

pedrohead
steve albini likes it

Post by pedrohead » Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:23 am

cool songs man, that's all i gotta say. good job.

josh

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:00 am

Good job mike, Where's my pre's?

J/K! Not really sweating it.

Mike
All energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet...

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:23 pm

Very interesting!

Like yer pop, too.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

sonikbliss
buyin' a studio