Drummers, is this too much to pay?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
phantom power
suffering 'studio suck'

Drummers, is this too much to pay?

Post by phantom power » Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:15 pm

I just came across a '68 Ludwig in a shop. It's the Joe Morello model with silver sparkle finish and it's in great shape. They want $899 for it with the supraphonic snare, my choice of heads, and they clean it up right down to new rubber feet. They'd let it go for $699 without the snare (which is also in great shape; no pitting at all).

Now, I know that if I'm patient I could probably find something comparable for less but, I figure I'd be making up the difference with the new heads, etc. So, is this a good price or should I keep fishing?

Thanks alot. -AE

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Re: Drummers, is this too much to pay?

Post by dynomike » Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:27 pm

I'd do it, and keep the snare! They're worth about that, and its nice to get the original one with the set. If you like the set, they're a rare find in good shape. And including new heads? Thats a pretty good bargain I think. If you have the money, go for it, and keep the snare.. although, I don't think that's the brass one is it...
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

phantom power
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by phantom power » Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:44 pm

Thanks for the reply Dynomike.

I don't think it was brass. I'm not very familiar with these snares though. Are they good for recording? I've already got a nice 50's Slingerland snare which is why I was thinking of skipping the supra. That and I still need to buy some cymbals. Which brings me to my next question.

What are some good cymbals for recording that would go well with the 60's Ludwig sound. I really want a ride that doesn't carry too much. I'm told that big, thin, and with a smaller bell(?) would be up my alley. Any thoughts?

Thanks again -AE

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:27 pm

phantom power wrote:Are they good for recording?
Jimmy Page apparently thought so.

(bonham played a supraphonic pretty much his whole career).

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

chetatkinsdiet
buyin' a studio

Post by chetatkinsdiet » Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:31 pm

That's a fair price for a ss kit in that condition. I love old Luddy's. Actually, I love all the old drums, Rogers, Slings, Gretsch, etc...
But, old Luddy's in a Silver Sparkle w/ the Supra....no question, $900 is a fair price. Not a steal, but you just don't find em too often anymore in great shape like you describe.
As for the snare...it's probably the finest all round recording snare drum ever made.
later,
m
The only true great mic on this planet is the Shure SM-57. It is the most consistant in not totally sucking of anything ever built. All other mics are "application dependant".

-- Fletcher

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:32 pm

I have a supraphonic and it's my favorite recording snare.

soundguy

Post by soundguy » Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:36 pm

chetatkinsdiet wrote:As for the snare...it's probably the finest all round recording snare drum ever made.
sounds like youve never heard a keplinger snare.

Gregg Keplinger changes lives.

In light of the kep, a supraphonic is pretty good.

dave

chetatkinsdiet
buyin' a studio

Post by chetatkinsdiet » Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:36 pm

Oh...not sure what you like on heads, but I like a pretty vintage sound out of my drums. On those kits, I dig a clear amb or G1 on top toms with the same on the bottom. Powerstroke 3 on the batter kick and whatever single ply on the front. Ambassador on the snare top and bottom...coated on top of course with the standard Luddy or cheap snare wires. Don't get fancy and try nice snare wires on a Supra, it doesn't ever work as well.

Cymbals...I love the Istanbul traditional line. But, to stay authentic and a bit more affordable, you can always just stick with the A Zildjians. Med to thin on the crashes and a Med 20" ride. 14" New Beat hats and you're cookin. There are more brands and models out there like the K line or the 602 line from Paiste that are very cool too, but you'll pay more for them. I do have to say that my favorite hi hats are the regular K's. I've got a pair in 13 & 14 and love them both. But, for loud rock gigs, I usually bring my Istanbul Funky Rock hats...worst name ever, but a great set of hats.

later,
m
The only true great mic on this planet is the Shure SM-57. It is the most consistant in not totally sucking of anything ever built. All other mics are "application dependant".

-- Fletcher

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:06 am

soundguy wrote:sounds like youve never heard a keplinger snare.

Gregg Keplinger changes lives.

In light of the kep, a supraphonic is pretty good.

dave
I've heard several Keplinger snares and while my life was changed (in that I had now heard a Keplinger) it didn't make me want to go out and spend $900 on a snare drum. I haven't heard yours yet though, Dave, so I'm probably missing something. They're great drums, but so are the Ludwigs. Comparing the two is like comparing a Strat with a Rick.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:23 am

I too say buy 'em. That seems like what I'd have to pay here in WA. And you can't really go wrong with an older Ludwig set, if it sounds good, holds tune, and gives the the right vibe, its perfect. Parts are also easly replaced and intermixed with these. Rock on!
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."

chetatkinsdiet
buyin' a studio

Post by chetatkinsdiet » Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:44 pm

Dave, I've head a few of those drums and they're great sounding, but I still have to give the edge in an overall category to the supra. As Chris mentioned it's like comparing a Strat to a Rick, I even think it's further than that. It's like comparing a Strat or a Les Paul to one of the many, beautiful, small boutique guitars there are out there now. PRS being the most famous. They're beautiful and great and sound amazing, but gimme the old banged up Strat and I'm happiest.
I've got a few high end snares as well...new and vintage...from Craviotto, Noble & Cooley, etc. Even some vintage stuff like Luddy brass shells from the 20s, a real COB Supra, but I still go for my blue and olive badge 5" for most gigs and reach for the 6.5" version for the loud rock shows.
Later,
m

-- Fletcher

soundguy

Post by soundguy » Sat Jan 08, 2005 5:22 pm

cgarges wrote: so I'm probably missing something.
Indeed dude. When you hit it, the heavens open up and an angel shines a little light down on the shell, its pretty intense. It could be that Gregg Keplinger is actually Jesus Christ reborn as a drum smith. Im not even kidding. God is like shining down to check out what his kid has been making. Its that good. Im gonna try to get him to make me an Iron shell this winter and then I will be king of the universe. well, maybe not the king, but I'll have the heaviest snare drum ever made.

dave

JohnDavisNYC

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Sat Jan 08, 2005 5:36 pm

check out the 'pound cake' snare from marcus over at MTC in williamsburgh... handmade solid brass snare... weighs about 25lbs... sounds fucking amazing. the brass is hand rolled by another neighborhood metalworker. not too expensive, either.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

helmuth
steve albini likes it

Post by helmuth » Sat Jan 08, 2005 5:46 pm

Sheez, a 60's ludwig 4 piece goes at $2K over here, you lucky bastards.

soundguy

Post by soundguy » Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:27 pm

do they only do brass shells?

what/where is MTC?

dave