The least expensive interesting-sounding thing you've bought

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
YOUR KONG
buyin' a studio

Re: The least expensive interesting-sounding thing you've bo

Post by YOUR KONG » Fri Aug 08, 2003 8:44 am

I'll post in proxy for the recording engineer to whom I gave my Roland Jazz Chorus (which I got for $200) to fix, and who then closed down his studio and stopped returning my calls. He definitely got something nice for not much.

Of course "not much" is going to turn into "a mouthful of busted teeth" once I find him.

XXGABEXX
tinnitus

Post by XXGABEXX » Fri Aug 08, 2003 11:07 am

MXR Blue Box for $40.00.

First generation octave/distortion...it is the most whacked out yet cool sounding effect I have heard in a long time...real fuzzy distortion coupled with an octave effect that glitches in a cool way.

The guy at the music store dared me to figure out a way to use it tastefully...when I did he gave me $10.00 off.
No way!! I bought an original script Blue Box for $50 from a guy who used it with his trumpet for recording Tuba and Trombone accompaniment (sp?) parts. I later sold it for $250 'cause as cool as it was, I really had no need for it.

Remember the sound your tank made when it got stuck in the corner in the Atari game Combat? I managed to perfectly mimic that sound with that pedal.

-GABE

Bear
deaf.

Post by Bear » Fri Aug 08, 2003 11:25 am

Hey, as a secondary question: anybody ever find any obscure cheap-ass microphones that sound good?
I found a Peavey PVM48 in my shed. No idea how it got there. I also found one of those wireless Barbie microphones ar a garage sale for a quarter. It sounded great.
I am wangtacular.

silversound
takin' a dinner break

Post by silversound » Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:40 pm

Souncraft Spirit Digital 328 mixer for $1200!
pssst! hey pssst! Want some free software man? I'll throw it in if you buy my hardware.

twitchmonitor
re-cappin' neve

Post by twitchmonitor » Fri Aug 08, 2003 3:04 pm

Um, lesseee....I got a Roland GA-120 amp, solid state, almost the same as the JC-120, but instead of chorus, it has onboard distortion, compression, 7-band eq and reverb. I paid $40 for it, and then $15 to roland for the part that needed replacing and it's excellent.

Once I was at my friend's house and he had a box of music junk and this little broken pedal was poking out and I asked him if I could try to fix it. He said if I could, I could keep it. Well, I did fix and. And it was an original gray Ross Compressor. Thanks largely to Phish, they were going on Ebay for upwards of $400 sometimes. I'm glad I didn't sell it...it's great.

Got a free Whurlitzer organ from someguy who was moving and didn't want to lug it. One day I'll call that Whurli repairman I've been meaning to call and get that thing working....

Sanyo (?) mic wiht on/off switch and built in cable with funky TS tip....$3 at a yardsale on my front steps. Sounds great when I run vocals through a slightly distorted practice amp with it and then mic the amp.

gone
alignin' 24-trk

Post by gone » Fri Aug 08, 2003 4:14 pm

Last edited by gone on Wed Nov 19, 2003 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Gibbon
gettin' sounds

Post by The Gibbon » Fri Aug 08, 2003 8:22 pm

A fellow I knew gave me a Shure 515SA mic. that was used at the grocery store he worked at to call for cleanups and price checks....not bad if you need to add that grocery store clerk sound to a track.