Easily switching left and right for secondary monitors

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Soulfull
pluggin' in mics

Easily switching left and right for secondary monitors

Post by Soulfull » Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:00 pm

I sometimes route sound to an old Panasonic receiver to drive some decent home stereo speakers. This makes a decent sanity check for mixes. My problem is that my control room is a very small room off a bonus room. The door is directly behind the mix position and I have these alternate speakers on either side of the door. I don't do a lot of trracking in this setup, but sometimes I do overdubs with the musician in the bonus room. I like to move the speakers to the other side of the door facing the other way. This is good for playbacks for the musician but it reverses the sense of left and right.

Can anyone think of a handy way to switch left and right? Currently I have the main DAW outputs going through 2 hard panned mixers channels. There are 2 problems with this. I can grab the pan pots and switch them so that they are right for one room but that makes them backwards in the control room. The other problem is not an issue with the switching from left to right, but having the signal on 2 different mixers channels makes it an effort to get the left and right levels set the same. So I have been thinking I should have the DAW output connect to an AUX return pair.
Jack Bulkley
SoulFull Recording
Apex, NC

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Re: Easily switching left and right for secondary monitors

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:07 pm

Unless I am missing something:

Switch the speaker cables on the pair you wish to be opposite the CR monitors.

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:16 pm

you could wire it on a 4pdt if you are looking to do it on a switch.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:16 pm

I think the problem is that in some cases, the speakers match the monitors, and in other cases they need to be the opposite of what they are usually.

I am such a neatherthal, I would put some--whadda they call those, the switches that are bars of copper with a plastic handle--where the speaker wire goes through, and most times they're one way, sometimes to lean over and manually switch the path the signal will take to the different speakers?

Or call Sweetwater?
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net