A guy walks into Guitar Center...

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

A guy walks into Guitar Center...

Post by joelpatterson » Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:15 pm

... and it was one of those comedies where the hip dude really thinks he works in a toy store, and it's all impulse buying, really, where it doesn't matter what you end up with, really. I thought about that for a minute. Can you ever really think of something you got at a toy store as being the "wrong" thing, inferior to something else that was there? Is there a lingering suspicion that it was overpriced? While I was looking for a microphone, he thought I was looking for a toy--offered to plug me into the PA to scream my heart out. When I wanted a sound source, and then some headphones and a mixer, and the ability to audition different microphones against the same source--well, that was just so bizzarre, I mean what fun is that?
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

chetatkinsdiet
buyin' a studio

Re: A guy walks into Guitar Center...

Post by chetatkinsdiet » Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:54 pm

Funny. I went in to one a year or so back with the intention of auditioning a TLM103, U87, Blueberry, NTK and maybe one or two other mics. It took at least 30 minutes to get the mics and find two mic cables that were open so we could test just two at a time. There were no decent mic pres hooked up on anything. Even though they had a vintech, some nicer focusrite pre...red maybe and a Universal audio 610. Instead, we had to use the stupid Roland allinone box...I forget the name. Everything was horrible, there were no monitors set up so we had to use one set of headphones and try to swap out with the partner in the studio. Everything actually sounded about the same through that Roland. It was HORRIBLE. How do they ever sell any nicer gear in there? Not that they keep very much in stock, but they do stock a few things. Heck, I was in another local GC a few days ago getting a pair of drumsticks and made a swing through their "pro audio" room and saw a Tube Tech eq. What the hell was that doing there. "Yeah, I'll take a Mackie mixer, Behringer compressor and one of those Tube Tech equilizers."
Unreal,
m
The only true great mic on this planet is the Shure SM-57. It is the most consistant in not totally sucking of anything ever built. All other mics are "application dependant".

-- Fletcher

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:17 pm

That's funny.

I demo all of my mics to customers at my store if they want to hear it. I've got the control room setup with multiple mixers, pres, and monitors to give them a good idea of what their mic sounds like. SHIT, I even have a millenia STT1 setup for demo as well!

the brill bedroom
pushin' record

Post by the brill bedroom » Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:03 pm

A friend of mine was telling me about a local engineer who was recently in a suburban GC and saw an aquaintance running around with one of those fake basckstage passes on. The guy came over and gave the traditional GC greeting of "Dude, what's up, bro?" and after a brief conversation said "well, man, dude, let me know if you need any help with pro audio." The engineer looked around and said "Well, do you have any?"

yar har har.

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:02 am

You shouldn't have a Millennia STT1 in your shop! It will make all the mics sound good and no one will make up their minds...
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

FNM
takin' a dinner break

Post by FNM » Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:35 am

the brill bedroom wrote:A friend of mine was telling me about a local engineer who was recently in a suburban GC and saw an aquaintance running around with one of those fake basckstage passes on. The guy came over and gave the traditional GC greeting of "Dude, what's up, bro?" and after a brief conversation said "well, man, dude, let me know if you need any help with pro audio." The engineer looked around and said "Well, do you have any?"

yar har har.
reminds me of everytime I go into that place... I'm just looking around and salemen come up to me asking about my life story, in a very enthusiastic way, and not to be an ass, I answer their questions... needless to say, they become real disinterested real fast. Which is ok by me, since everytime I do go in, I am just looking.