Recording onto Labtop?????

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
rockforrevolution
audio school

Recording onto Labtop?????

Post by rockforrevolution » Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:14 pm

I am new to this board first of all..... I am just getting into recording my band. I want to get some sort of mixer and recording software to use with my labtop. I want to get something as inexpensive as possible but I don't have the slighest idea where to start. I saw a mixer in Musicians Friend for $150 but I'm not sure if thats the way to go. Also, I just have a mic input in my computer and am not sure if thats all I need for a mixer. Any help or suggestions would be great. Thanks
*I have a IBM ThinkPad 600E labtop.

sonikbliss
buyin' a studio

Re: Recording onto Labtop?????

Post by sonikbliss » Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:50 pm

First of all it's laptop. If you want to record to your laptop you need an interface that has audio inputs on it that connects to your computer and either comes with recording software or works with a 3rd party software (many interfaces come with some kind of recording/mixing software). There are many different kinds of interfaces, they connect via USB, Firewire or PCI cards. First you must determine what connections your computer has and which connection you wish to use (I would recomend Firewire or PCI). Secondly you must determine how many inputs (or tracks) you will need to record simultaneously and get an interface that has at least that many inputs.

Let us know more about how many tracks you need to record at one time, what connections your PC has, and a ruff price range and we can give you a better answer and recommend some specific gear. Oh yeah and welcome to the board :D

Milkmansound
george martin

Post by Milkmansound » Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:14 pm

no - hes talking about a labtop - rests on top of a retriever: loyal, loving, and reliable dogs.

Welcome to the board - there is no mercy around here...
(((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))))
www.pedalsteelamp.com
www.milkmansound.com
Follow me on Facebook!

tylernolan
pluggin' in mics

Post by tylernolan » Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:43 pm

If your laptop has a mic input you can have a very basic recording setup for the cost of a 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch adaptor. You can download audacity for free and bam. Your multitracking.

cassettefetish
steve albini likes it

Post by cassettefetish » Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:48 pm

I have been trying to use my laptop for recording and it's horrid

I got one of the Creative PCMCIA cards that can do 192/24bit whatever since I only had one NOISY NOISY mono mic input but it is still noisy unless I run it off the battery

plus the Creative card is FLIMSY AS HELL. I already had to get it replaced once and I got it initially right before Xmas.

It's getting better, but I have to work at it.

(I do not believe in computer multi-tracking, I only use it for mixdown... viva TAPE!! FYI :) )

--nick

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:34 am

Welcome to the board.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com