A New Low

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
trashy
dead but not forgotten

Re: A New Low

Post by trashy » Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:14 pm

Antero wrote:
eskimo wrote:i thought this was going to be about the new low record... pretty far from it I guess.
I was kinda thinking that too.

They should actually make a record called "A New Low."
It would make reviewing it really easy.

mertmo
buyin' gear

Post by mertmo » Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:25 pm

I actually really like a lot of INXS's music. (ducks under his desk to avoid the onslaught of hateful responses...)

But this, I must admit, is the fucking most tasteless thing ever. It's actually a more tasteless move than the "doors" of the 21st century.
I just read the liner notes of their "best of" today and they are all (sans hutchence) talking about how much fun it all was, and how they had the big magical connection and they came to it all together, blah blah blah...

How can they do something so fucking lame after coming from a position of love and respect like that?

Fuck them.

For what it's worth, regarding Hutchence's death, I've read that it actually was a suicide, and the masturbation story was all to protect his girlfriend's fragile mental state, as she was perceived as not being able to deal with the truth. She took her own life a couple of years later, and then the truth about the suicide was able to come out. ... my source for this was an interview with Bono, who was apparently good buddies with Hutchence at the time.
...who knows.

Kind of a wacked story...

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:48 pm

MERTMO2 wrote:I've read that it actually was a suicide, and the masturbation story was all to protect his girlfriend's fragile mental state.
Yes, because that's such an easier pill to swallow.
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:22 pm

Joelpatterson and Spark,

That is some funny shit. Now THERE'S a reality show I'd watch! And I'd be all about William Shatner hanging out at The Milestone club!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Spark
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Spark » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:54 am

cgarges wrote:Joelpatterson and Spark,

That is some funny shit. Now THERE'S a reality show I'd watch! And I'd be all about William Shatner hanging out at The Milestone club!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Did you ever see the footage of Shatner singing "Rocket Man" on some awards show? Brilliant. In fact Id go so far as to say genius.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:54 am

The Spark wrote:Did you ever see the footage of Shatner singing "Rocket Man" on some awards show?
No, but I'm a born-again Shatner fan after getting his new disc and the Golden Throats compilation for Christmas. I've always been a big fan, though. One day, I will direct a movie and cast William Shatner opposite Adam West. It'll be a dramatic dialog fiasco with a big dual-fisted fight scene between the two of them at the end.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Last edited by cgarges on Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:59 am

cgarges wrote:
The Spark wrote:
cgarges wrote:Did you ever see the footage of Shatner singing "Rocket Man" on some awards show?
No, but I'm a born-again Shatner fan after getting his new disc and the Golden Throats compilation for Christmas. I've always been a big fan, though. One day, I will direct a movie and cast William Shatner opposite Adam West. It'll be a dramatic dialog fiasco with a big dual-fisted fight scene between the two of them at the end.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Didn't Adam West die fairly recently?

If not then i can really see him as some dark gangster figure for some reason. Shatner being a cop might be too cheesy considering TJ Hooker, might need a different angle. Can i do the soundtrack?
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:04 pm

Rigsby wrote:Didn't Adam West die fairly recently?
I hope not.

Maybe I'd cast them as superheroes and at the end, either one of them would go over to the "dark side" or they'd just get in some big-ass argument.

Rigsby, you could do the soundtrack if you can make a lot of movie music that sounds like the "Hawaii Five-O" theme.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:25 pm

Ooh, oooh, can you cast Robert Conrad, also?

He could be like, Energizer Bunny Man.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

markpar
george martin

Post by markpar » Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:30 pm

cgarges wrote:Joelpatterson and Spark,

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Sorry to hijack......

The Milestone? That place is still around? I remember playing my first "big" gig there in '90 or '91 opening for God's Water. What ever happened to those guys? I still have the CD "Skin" they did at... what was it.... Reflections studio? What happened to that place?

-mark

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:36 am

The Milestone was just bought by new folks. They're hoping to restore it to what it was in its heyday. We'll see about that. It was once a quite reknowned punk club.

Reflections is still in business, but barely, and VERY expensive. I'll reserve my comments about it.

God's Water. Wow. That's going back.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

SKEETER
steve albini likes it

Post by SKEETER » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:46 am

I get stuff like that in snail mail from a couple of "record lables" who are looking for artists to put on their " compilation" CDs that are in fact guys trying to sell demo services. No matter how good and complete a copy you send them, they want to re record it for their "compilation project that has "guaranteed promotion" and charge me to have it re recorded. It is bullshit.

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:02 am

Rigsby wrote:I really think you should go for it Chris, i mean, why not for god's sake?
Are we talking about the rope, the bag, or the audition?

gog
alignin' 24-trk

Post by gog » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:37 am

sonichue wrote:Besides the obvious, my next thought was, 'How can they replace Mike?'

Then I remembered that dude playing Jim in The Doors.

Kinda creepy, but it can be done.
a reality show to replace michael hutchence... ian ashbury posing as jim morrison... really fkin embarassing... who's buying this crap? the american tv watchin, record and ticket buying public never ceases to amaze me. :?

(i wish this thread was about a new low record)

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:03 am

sserendipity wrote:
Rigsby wrote:I really think you should go for it Chris, i mean, why not for god's sake?
Are we talking about the rope, the bag, or the audition?
There's a question, i don't know, i was thinking audition, but the other two sound like fun.

Yeah, I can totally do that music Chris, probably on ouds and glockenspiels though.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com