Sounds that sound like other sounds

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
aishabag23
gettin' sounds

Re: Sounds that sound like other sounds

Post by aishabag23 » Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:01 pm

beastmaster is my new favorite song.

Zeppelin4Life
re-cappin' neve

Post by Zeppelin4Life » Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:00 pm

psychicoctopus wrote:
Rigsby wrote:
psychicoctopus wrote:One time I made a fake death metal song with samples of a roaring bear for vocals. It's really creepy until you realize that it's a bear not a person.
I really do have to hear that.
ha ha. here it is, you pervert. I hope children never hear this.

http://webspace.utexas.edu/earache/beastmaster.mp3

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
?I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.?
David L
KC2UUM
RadioReference.com Admin, Albany NY

stevemoss
alignin' 24-trk

Post by stevemoss » Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:55 pm

On my song Sullivan Street I did a lot of faking:

The 'banjo' is an acoustic guitar (Fender DG-14 lefty) that had dehumidified to the point that a raised bump developed on the fretboard above where the neck and body joined. Almost anything would buzz out to a certain degree. So I capitalized on it, playing with the guitar capoed at the 3rd fret, and recording with an SM-57 and running it through a Parametric EQ set to the 'phone line effect'.

The 'upright bass' is an unamplified Ibanez bass (SR400 lefty) played with a felt pick, with the strings themselved miced with the '57 - miced so close I had to redo it whenever I moved enough that the mic hit the strings.

The drums are largely a Rhythm Tech Laptop snare, close-miced with the SM-57, played with hands - one hand slapping the head, while the other, in a fresh white sock, swished back and forth to get the sound of brushes. The thin vintage crashes at the head and tail of the track are the biggest fake - carefully edited attacks of throwing a handful of forks into the lid of a saucepan.

TheStevens
pushin' record

Post by TheStevens » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:28 pm

stevemoss wrote: The 'upright bass' is an unamplified Ibanez bass (SR400 lefty) played with a felt pick, with the strings themselved miced with the '57 - miced so close I had to redo it whenever I moved enough that the mic hit the strings.
I've done something similar with a Dean fretless bass on a guitar stand (so it was played like an upright, and this also allowed me to mic it extremely close) and miked super-close (within an inch) with two Oktava 012s - one on the bridge, and the other in the back. Got pretty good results! (albeit a tad noisy)

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:37 am

steve3b1 wrote:
stevemoss wrote: The 'upright bass' is an unamplified Ibanez bass (SR400 lefty) played with a felt pick, with the strings themselved miced with the '57 - miced so close I had to redo it whenever I moved enough that the mic hit the strings.
I've done something similar with a Dean fretless bass on a guitar stand (so it was played like an upright, and this also allowed me to mic it extremely close) and miked super-close (within an inch) with two Oktava 012s - one on the bridge, and the other in the back. Got pretty good results! (albeit a tad noisy)
Me too, but yeah, it is pretty noisy. The day before yesterday i was approximating a berimbau on steel string acoustic guitar by heavily downtuning the b string, lovely sound, especially in my bathroom where i was getting this down.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com