Long Snakes

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
X-ian
alignin' 24-trk

Re: Long Snakes

Post by X-ian » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:59 am

I bought two of the EWI snakes and they work great. Give Mark a call he's a cool guy and he will answer any questions about the snakes and then talk about audio stuff for an hour. (It must get lonely out in Farmington Wa.) He also can get you any connectors or adaptors to run your returns. I also like the EWI mic cables http://www.audiopile.net/products/Mic_I ... tsheet.asp.
Apparently EWI is a small family company from Korea and they hand solder all their stuff. The quality seems pretty good.
"It's better to regret something you have done than something you haven't done" - Gibby Hanes

hulahalau
gettin' sounds

Re: Long Snakes

Post by hulahalau » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:02 pm

Walnut Studios wrote:Any decent snake is going to be wrapped with a wire shield within its sleeve. This metal netting within the snake should reject most outside signals...
I bleive, based upon research i jsut did, that ost snakes at the lower price range are shielded with foil, not with copper braid (I assume this is what you meant by wire). fol is OK for smakes that will not be moved - i.e., permanently set. If the smake is going to be rolled and unrolled each time you record, then I suggest that for the sake of longevity and continued high shielding, you get a snake using braid that has 93% coverage.

Also, you will also find that some snakes have only an overall shield for a ground return. while this can avoid ground loop problems, it also reduces the amount of interchannel shielding (i.e., minimizing audio from one channel getting into others).