Gear Repairs in the NW

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Yogi
audio school

Gear Repairs in the NW

Post by Yogi » Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:11 am

Hey there, Seattle-based board newbie here. I'm wondering if anyone can point me to a reputable establishment where I can get some recording gear fixed. I used to take my stuff to Bozotronics, but that place is sadly no more.

Specifically, I have an old Tascam Porta Two that I recorded scads of stuff on over the years that suddenly won't play tapes (just when I'm ready to transfer all those old masters to digital). It rewinds and fast-forwards, but when you push play, nothing happens.

I'd also like to get a Tascam 38 I have looked at.

Actually, I'd ship these units to have them repaired, too - much as I'd prefer to find someplace local, I'm a desperate man! :cry:

I'm looking on eBay for replacements, but for sentimental reasons would much rather get my stuff repaired - and I don't really care what it costs. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance! :)
"Expectations are the enemy of music." -Mike Keneally
My Web site

Shawn Simmons
buyin' a studio

Re: Gear Repairs in the NW

Post by Shawn Simmons » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:11 am

Try Condor Electronics in Fremont. Or Erikson Audio in Bellevue.

shawn

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:19 am

I would suggest not going with Condor.

They're so back logged with broken behringer and ampeg stuff. after becoming the NW warranty shop for those companies.

Bandmate has had various ampeg gear in there, and taken months to get it back without being fixed. And being busy is one thing, but being hard to get ahold of and dodgy is another. I've heard similar complaints as well.

They fixed my guitar head a few years ago, it took a long time but they did a great job and its never sounded better. But this was before the extra warranty work came into the picture.

Does ALVA in the university district still exist?

I'd recommend calling the Trading Musician or other INDEPENDENT music stores , and ask them of places besides condor.

FormulaReed
alignin' 24-trk

Post by FormulaReed » Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:43 pm

Ya, condor needs to hire some more people. I have a powerd monitor that has been there for over a month.

Reed
Owner/Engineer Attercop Sound
www.attercop.net

marqueemoon
carpal tunnel

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:30 pm

Weird. I just brought my guitar head in to Condor Saturday and they called today to say it was done.
I the prostitute, shall not hide...
But I was very much bothered with my work!

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:37 pm

marqueemoon wrote:Weird. I just brought my guitar head in to Condor Saturday and they called today to say it was done.
Is it done though? as in "fixed?"
If so, wow, you lucked out. I guess you know the secret handshake. Or the piles of back logged gear was just to hard to dive into and your head was just sitting there on the counter still and they started with that.

marqueemoon
carpal tunnel

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:17 pm

trodden wrote: Is it done though? as in "fixed?"
We'll see :roll:
I the prostitute, shall not hide...
But I was very much bothered with my work!

markpar
george martin

Post by markpar » Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:44 pm

Also try Audio Works, (206) 405-4086. Not sure exactly what they repair, though.... but might be worth a phone call. They made me a couple of snakes and said they'd be able to help me with some MTR-90 maintenance. I ended up buying another machine, so I didn't end up taking them up on the offer.

-mark