Gtr amp output trannie question

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
ckeene
suffering 'studio suck'

Gtr amp output trannie question

Post by ckeene » Wed Aug 06, 2003 10:31 am

I need to replace an output x-former on an old Silvertone amp. Any ideas where I should look for one, and, most importantly, what type/specs I should look for?

Here is what I know about the amp:
Sears Silvertone model 1331, tweed covered, 8" speaker
Class A operation - single 6V6 power tube
Five-watt output

What I know (or think I know, more correctly) about selecting guitar amp transformers is that you want to get one based on winding ratio and power handling - themselves based on the power tube(s)' output impedence and the overall output of the amp.

Thanks in advance.

-ck

teleharmonium
pushin' record

Re: Gtr amp output trannie question

Post by teleharmonium » Wed Aug 06, 2003 10:44 am

If you are replacing a tranny on a valuable or rare amp and don't want to make any new holes in the chassis, your options become very limited. Silvertones are a dime a dozen, so in your case I would just order a Fender Champ replacement OT from the vendor of your choice and be done with it. Or, you could scavenge an OT from another single 6V6 guitar amp. There's not many variables with that configuration, whatever you get will most likely be an improvement over the tiny transformers that those amps were built with.
Ampage.org and webervst.com have bulletin boards that would be good places to go if you want to get more technical that that.