Why isn't phase cancellation a problem in M/S?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Punkity
gettin' sounds

Re: Why isn't phase cancellation a problem in M/S?

Post by Punkity » Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:08 am

Thanks Professor for setting the record straight (and refreshing my memory about the trig definitions of the mic patters. 1-cos A indeed!).

The first place I ran across the M/S stuff is also Striecher and Everest's "The New Stereo Soundbook." I think this is the one Professor is trying to site. This is a great book and I leared a ton from it. It isn't the usual "When EQing a kick drum, try cutting a few dB at 200Hz" or showing the flow-chart of a mixing board. It is more focused on "live" ensemble recoding, but don't let that detour you. The tools presented in that book are powerful and shouldn't be ignored.
Signage of the times.

Stephen B.
gettin' sounds

Post by Stephen B. » Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:42 am

I looked, but for the life of me I can't find a copy of the article "M-S Stereo: A Powerful Technique for Working in Stereo." Does anybody know of a link to it, or would I have to buy it from AES? I'm very intrigued and would like to read it.

Thanks
"Badness is only spoiled goodness."

C.S. Lewis

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:44 am

Stephen, there used to be a link on the www.wesdooley.com website, and I found it through a google search, but the pictures and graphs (kind of essential) didn't download. The article is available for purchase through the AES website, $5 for members for a PDF download.

-J