The Worst of the Best

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

The Worst of the Best

Post by inverseroom » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:45 pm

There was a thread on Creot a few weeks ago about "The Beach Boys Love You," the attempted "comeback" album from 1977, for which Brian Wilson was lured from his bedroom to write and record some songs with the guys. I decided to get myself a copy, and it's fascinating. Fascinatingly awful. The drums alone are enough to make you want to cry--how did they get 1985 drum machine sounds out of a real kit eight years earlier? It amazes me that even the greatest of songwriters, performers, producers and engineers can manage to create really bad music--one thinks of, say, McCartney's "Give My Regards to Broad Street," or late Elvis, or the solo catalog of Mick Jagger.

What are your favorite examples?

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Re: The Worst of the Best

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:10 pm

Yeah, I hear ya. Have you heard any of Roky Erickson's later stuff. The tones are so bad, even Satan hates it. I think the bands that went through the transition of early 70's to the 80's had it hard. They must of thought the old recordings were dated (in a negative sense) and were trying to be current and cutting edge. Like lots of Kepex gates and digital reverb. Chorus on the Clean guitar ect.

Its funny because I try so hard to record cool sounds well. Those people had the skills, but their bad taste won.
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."

nacho459
re-cappin' neve

Post by nacho459 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:15 pm

inverseroom wrote:There was a thread on Creot a few weeks ago about "The Beach Boys Love You," the attempted "comeback" album from 1977, for which Brian Wilson was lured from his bedroom to write and record some songs with the guys. I decided to get myself a copy, and it's fascinating. Fascinatingly awful. The drums alone are enough to make you want to cry--how did they get 1985 drum machine sounds out of a real kit eight years earlier?
You got to hear it on vinyl. The drums sound HUGE! :wink:

What about that one song they did that sounds like Queen.

TheStevens
pushin' record

Post by TheStevens » Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:49 pm

Speaking of Queen, there are some pretty horrible songs on "The Game". (1980)

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:59 pm

You're talking about people who live on beyond their heyday and then go about cynically putting out some kind of shoddy hackwork devoid of any inspiration. People rescued by fate from a train wreck, forced to hide in lonely desperation.

Gotta be a dime a dozen.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

Cappy*tan
gettin' sounds

Post by Cappy*tan » Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:01 pm

Do you think that maybe people just get to the point that they think to themselves, "You know, anything I release is gonna be bought by x amount of people....."?

frank
takin' a dinner break

Post by frank » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:11 pm

It amazes me that even the greatest of songwriters, performers, producers and engineers can manage to create really bad music--one thinks of, say, McCartney's "Give My Regards to Broad Street," or late Elvis, or the solo catalog of Mick Jagger.
whoa...there is some really amazing late Elvis stuff. weird/cool production too. and, com'mon..."suspicious minds" is like the best Elvis song ever. 8)
Red Hook!

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:27 pm

nacho459 wrote:You got to hear it on vinyl. The drums sound HUGE! :wink:
I got it on vinyl! They're huge, all right. :shake:

tfred812
studio intern

Post by tfred812 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:01 pm

Hang around long enough, and you will lose the thread ... in public ... for everyone to see (and hear). The real question is, did any of the greats not lose the thread at some point? Louis Armstrong lost it. Sinatra sure did (several times). Ex-Beatles all did. Dylan did (several times). Maybe Duke Ellington never lost it, but that's debatable. Even Chuck Berry did "My Ding-a-Ling."

I happen to love "Beach Boys Love You." It's punky and DIY in a twisted way that only rich, completely decadent West Coast pop stars could manage. And it has the convictions of its own peculiarities. Even the dumbest songs (maybe especially them) have a kernel of true originality.

You want to hear bad sounding latter day Beach Boys albums, check out "MIU Album" or "Keepin' the Summer Alive." They have the added benefit (?) of being almost completely soulless and devoid of even half-decent songs (or Brian's participation, which is basically the same thing).

Assuming you think they qualify for the "best" category at all, "We Built This City" by Starship/neeJeffferson Airplane would be hard to beat as a worst moment, if only because the Airplane once pretended to mean something, man.

"It's Hard" by the Who and "Psychoderelict" by Pete Townshend (which I had the grave misfortune to see performed live, with actors) would also have to be filed under "How the Mighty Have Fallen."

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:06 pm

Cappy*tan wrote:Do you think that maybe people just get to the point that they think to themselves, "You know, anything I release is gonna be bought by x amount of people....."?
More likely, it's a combination of groupthink, record label induced deadlines and influence, failing artistic experimentation. and most of all plain and simple bad/different/changing taste.

Just because someone makes your favourite record(s) doesn't mean that you have their taste pegged. And just because your hindsight may be 20/20 doesn't mean that you can emotionally conceive what it was like to experience a new technology or ideas for the very first time, in context.

Just imagine what it must have been like to put the fiirst gated reverb on a snare. And remember, back then, everyone wore gigantic glasses, and the most fashionable clothing was flourescent pink and yellow. Dshhha! Giant!!!! Massive!!! Do it again!!! Let's put it on everything!!

For some reason, I am reminded of a video I saw of Miles Davis 'jamming' with a DJ. The DJ would nod his head to the 'beatz' and every once in a while, do a baby scratch. Cringe-worthy indeed.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:10 pm

tfred812 wrote:Assuming you think they qualify for the "best" category at all, "We Built This City" by Starship/neeJeffferson Airplane would be hard to beat as a worst moment, if only because the Airplane once pretended to mean something, man.
Yes. Yes.

I don't mean to be harsh on "Love You." I gotta listen again. I've spent the last two months constantly grooving on "Pet Sounds" and the new "Smile" and it simply amazes me how low poor Brian got in between. And, as someone over on Creot said, take a look at those fingernails on the inner sleeve--nothing could be sadder.

I'm not really considering that much of this is due to cynicism, disdain for fans, marketing savvy, etc. These failures do not offend me. I have genuine sympathy for these artists--this is what makes it fascinating. You keep trying even if it sucks, and if someone will pay you for it, all the better. Some people, like Dylan, get some of it back after missteps. Most don't. I fully expect to have my own low points as an artist (without, sadly, the high points of Dylan or the Beatles...) and wonder why it will happen and how. Indeed, it's pretty inspiring to know that even the greatest suck sometimes, that the best among us are fallible.

red cross
buyin' gear

Post by red cross » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:21 pm

I don't mean to be harsh on "Love You." I gotta listen again. I've spent the last two months constantly grooving on "Pet Sounds" and the new "Smile" and it simply amazes me how low poor Brian got in between.
Keep listening, you'll get it! The chorus on "The Night Was So Young" when the vocal harmonies kick in is one of my all time favourite Brian moments. Gorgeous. And how about that big fat synth bass buzzing away on "I'll Bet She's Nice"? Or that oh so lovely melody on "Let's Put Our Hearts Together?" There's just so much great stuff to dig on that record. Listen!

HypCo
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by HypCo » Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:13 pm

Yeah I don't know Inverse. Perhaps I'm mistaken, but it seems that you're exposure to the Beach Boys at least in album context is Pet Sounds and the new Smile (which is basically trying it's best to sound '67). So, sure 1977 Brian is going to sound different. And sure it has a certain dated qualtiy as many albums do. But I don't think you've given it a fair shake.
I'm getting maybe that you've just heard it one time so far and predict you'll have a change of heart on this one. There's some great times in there.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:40 am

OK, OK already!!! You're right of course, those two albums are my main Beach Boys album exposure, and I only got through side one of "Love You" before turning it off in horror. But I will return to face the music.

Still, my point stands, I hope?

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:46 am

tfred812 wrote:Assuming you think they qualify for the "best" category at all, "We Built This City" by Starship/neeJeffferson Airplane would be hard to beat as a worst moment, if only because the Airplane once pretended to mean something, man.
Funny, i was singing that tune to myself while wsa hanging out laundry last night and wondered who it was by. Thanks.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com