Midas Venice 240...direct outs?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
bannerj
re-cappin' neve

Midas Venice 240...direct outs?

Post by bannerj » Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:13 am

So I have a project that is all going to be tracked live. I borrowed a friend's Midas Venice 240. He doesn't use it for recording...so he doesn't know the answer. I've been in the DAW with my outboard pres and have never used a board before so I feel like a dork.

The Venice has direct outs and I can't get a signal to my 8 track 5050. Each channel has 1/4 inch jack (I think these are balance). I wanted to use four of the pres in board and four of my racked pres.

I can run a TRS cable out the direct out and get a signal on my outboard pre's DI. I can plug a headphones in and hear something...but when I run a TRS/XLR cable into the 5050 I get no signal.

what am I doing wrong?

BJohnston
ass engineer

Re: Midas Venice 240...direct outs?

Post by BJohnston » Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:09 am

This is being tracked from a live Show? If that's the case, depending on the club, you might be able to get a run off of the splitter box from monitor world. In all likelyhood though they won't be set up for that kind of thing. Are you mixing them live as well? If that's the case you could take a Stereo Mix off of the board, set some room mics up In Stereo to get the audience and the feel of the live show, send that into the 5050. Generally, a mix right off of the board will sound too weird so mixing in the audience mics will fix it up.
Hey, I see that your from Oklahoma City. I live in Enid. Just moved back after being away for about 10 years. I didn't know anyone around here even knew about Tape Op. Anyway, glad to see it.

Take Care
BJohnston

bannerj
re-cappin' neve

Post by bannerj » Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:31 am

not a show. The band is doing all their parts in one take. We will only be doing a few overdubs. This a strange sitution. I talked to the FOH engineer who uses this regularly and he said he used the outs straight to HD once without any problems.

I will have to mess around with it some tonight. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

There are several people in OKC and Norman who are on the tapeop board. The music scene here is steadily growing.

BJohnston
ass engineer

Post by BJohnston » Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:58 pm

Sorry I miss understood the original question. The only other thing I can think of is to make sure that the 5050 is setup to recieve a Line Level Input. If that doesn't solve your problem. Try sending the signal out an Aux Send. Then take the Aux. Output and plug that in to the 5050 and see where that takes you. Or try sending the signal to a Sub Group and out the Sub Group to the 5050 Line input. You may have to assign the Channel to where you want it to go. Tuff to say without seeing the console. Hope that helps.
Do you own a studio? I'm looking for some places to check around the area.

BJohnston

ape32
gettin' sounds

Post by ape32 » Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:05 pm

This might be the MX5050 "Pin 3 hot" problem - if it is the 5050 markIII it has unbalanced inputs with Pin 3 hot standard - if you own a phase-flipped cable, try that and see if you get any love.

- A

nacho459
re-cappin' neve

Post by nacho459 » Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:52 pm

The Venice 320 has balanced direct outs. I have used one to record multiple times. I think it's a great sounding console. I like it's sound over many full sized PA consoles Yamaha PM3500/4K, Soundcraft Europa, Mackie, etc. 5050's and various Telex stuff have histories of being pin 3 hot. I used a KT EQ that was backwards, but I would guess it's the 5050 and not the Venice.