PELUSO VS. U195

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
telefontel
audio school graduate

PELUSO VS. U195

Post by telefontel » Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:41 pm

okay, ive read some of the older posts and never really got any definitive answers. i've worked with the 195 before and totally loved it. we somehow misplaced our u87 and a bud loaned us this mic to do our record. needless to say, we wondered why we had ever spent that much on the neumann. so im sure you're asking why is it even a question? well, after being surprised by a new company that i would never had even given a chance to before let alone drop money on blindly. i figured i didnt want to pass up on another amazing discovery in the peluso mics. first im wondering if i shold just go with what i've been pleased with already or make the jump and then i'm not sure which one of the pelusos would suit me better as an all around ldc and thats why im here.

i apologize for my rambling but help!
i've been mulling this over for weeks

telefontel

Coco
re-cappin' neve

Re: PELUSO VS. U195

Post by Coco » Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:46 pm

How do you "misplace" a U87?
I know enough to know that I don't know what I am doing.

Generals and Majors http://www.myspace.com/generalsandmajors

exit2studios
takin' a dinner break

Post by exit2studios » Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:18 pm

sadly, that was my first thought while reading this post.

telefontel
audio school graduate

Post by telefontel » Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:28 pm

it disappeared in a move. that mic was our pride and joy at the time. it happened while in the custody of my working partner so i never could figure out exactly what happened. it just disappeared, one of those things i guess. much dumpster digging and other crazy searching took place but to no avail. that mic is long gone now and so are the tears i shed for it so all i can say now is that we "misplaced" it!

a little studio anecdote i can save for my kids someday

Shawn Simmons
buyin' a studio

Post by Shawn Simmons » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:32 pm

a little studio anecdote i can save for my kids someday
If you can't be trusted to take care of an 87, do you really think having children is a good idea? Unfortunately, like with children, one doesn't need a license to own a microphone.

Just kidding.

The 195 rules, you can't go wrong. And it's cheaper than a Peluso. Those Peluso mics got expensive.

shawn

kittonian
takin' a dinner break

Post by kittonian » Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:23 am

I'm not sure what "Those Peluso mics got expensive" means. They haven't changed price.

The Peluso mics are truly excellent and honestly I have ditched a lot of my other mics in favor of them. Once I found out how great they were, I also picked up the product line and we now represent Peluso Mics.

You've got the 22 47 (U47 reproduction) in either the long body (this is the limited edition with either the EF-14 Telefunken Tube or the Red American Tube), or the short body. Both sound great, however my preference has been towards the long body as there seems be a little dip in the mids at just the place I love. It's hardly noticeable unless you put them up side by side and go back and forth but there is a slight difference.

You've got the 22 251 (reproduction of the ELAM 251) which is unreal on female vocals, strings, piano, etc. I even stick it on one speaker of a bass cab to get the punchy sound while using the Peluso 2247LE on another speaker.

You've got the CEMC6 (Schoeps CEC6 reproduction) which is a great tool for virtually anything (this requires phantom power). It's got a 3 position roll off switch as well as a 10db and 20db pad. I love it on the top of acoustic guitars where it provides that space and air I'm after. This one comes with a nice wooden case.

If you have additional questions let me know. I'll be happy to assist. We've sold a bunch of these already (and this is a brand new product line for us) and no one has returned one yet. In fact, they were just reviewed in TapeOp and the writer liked the mics so much he bought them after finishing the tests.

If you are looking for a recommendation for an all around, all purpose mic, my answer is the 22 47LE with the Red American Tube. I use it on everything from vocals to acoustic guitar, to guitar amps, to bass cabs, etc. Really a great sounding mic, but for the price that these go for, people can usually afford to buy both the 47 and the 251. Btw, both the 47's and the 251 come with the shockmount, 7 conductor cable, and the powersupply.
Joshua Aaron
President/Chief Engineer
AudioLot/AudioLot Studios
Pro Audio Sales & Consulting
http://www.audiolot.com

Follow us on Facebook For Gear Specials & More

JonJ1176
audio school graduate

Post by JonJ1176 » Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:22 am

how has the CEMC6 behaved on other applications?

(percussion, strings, etc.)
jon j

kittonian
takin' a dinner break

Post by kittonian » Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:38 pm

Honestly, the only other things I've tried it on are guitar cabs and hi-hat, both of which worked beautifully. I haven't used it on strings or percussion so I don't really have an answer for you on those.
Joshua Aaron
President/Chief Engineer
AudioLot/AudioLot Studios
Pro Audio Sales & Consulting
http://www.audiolot.com

Follow us on Facebook For Gear Specials & More

Dot
pushin' record

Post by Dot » Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:23 am

A few mics have knocked the U195 out of its seat as the coolest LDC in that just-around-a-grand price range. The Peluso 22 47, Peluso 22 251, ADK Commemorative Edition. All of these are great mics with a broader range of sonic pallette than the U195 - which is still a great mic - it just isn't at the top of the $1K-LDC mountain the way it once was.

The Peluso CEMC6's are absolutely incredible. I've started jotting down some notes on my in-progress CEMC6 tests.
Dan Richards
Pro Studio Reviews