Need New Guitar Amp: brutha's recommend!

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
ottokbre
deaf.

Need New Guitar Amp: brutha's recommend!

Post by ottokbre » Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:43 pm

My much loved Vox Valvetronix 60 has died of a PC board aneurysm.
Yes, I am now part of the hard-wired 'n tube faithful again, as this has put some serious crampage in my style.

So I need a replacment. Something AC30-ish would be nice. Something not exceeding 500-600 would be nice. Something that did'nt look like Commander Data's love child with an ART MP would be nice too.

Would da ya likes?

Cappy*tan
gettin' sounds

Re: Need New Guitar Amp: brutha's recommend!

Post by Cappy*tan » Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:53 pm

Man. For 500-600 you'd probably have to go used, and even then it might be difficult. But it's been a while since I looked for a used amp. :( Nothing like an amp going out to ruin the day. If you're not opposed to Fenders you can usually always find a good silverface for probably cheaper than what you listed. But Fenders and AC-30s are totally different beasts. But other than that...just look around and see what you can find. Too bad Elderly doesn't ship used amps anymore. :( Sorry I can't help more.

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:14 pm

I'm not opposed to a Fender or an A/B amp at all. I just havent gone out and looked for one in a long while and I kow there is some nice stuff out now.

marqueemoon
carpal tunnel

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:18 pm

Go try the Dr Z. shit at Emerald City. It's a lil' over your budget but nice. For a cheap toob amp it's hard to beat a silverface Bassman. You can always buy a crappy cab and upgrade when you have the money. I don't know how many Vox-ish option you really have for that kinda dough.
I the prostitute, shall not hide...
But I was very much bothered with my work!

standup
re-cappin' neve

Post by standup » Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:18 pm

ottokbre wrote:My much loved Vox Valvetronix 60 has died of a PC board aneurysm.
Yes, I am now part of the hard-wired 'n tube faithful again, as this has put some serious crampage in my style.
If you're in Warshington DC and don't mind something funky, go straight to Atomic Music in College Park. I've gotten Ampeg, Danelectro (old ones, not the current stuff) and Fender there. Ya never know what you'll find. But it probably won't be some hand-wired boutique amp from the last decade.

If it's Warshington state yer talkin, I got nothin.

Babaluma
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Babaluma » Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:08 pm

i've been very happy with the new traynor ycv20wr i bought last summer. sounds great to my ears, and has a lot of features.

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:40 pm

marqueemoon wrote:Go try the Dr Z. shit at Emerald City. It's a lil' over your budget but nice. For a cheap toob amp it's hard to beat a silverface Bassman. You can always buy a crappy cab and upgrade when you have the money. I don't know how many Vox-ish option you really have for that kinda dough.
if they still have that red tolex Dr. Z Mazeratti, I am f00ked royal

I am selling gear to give me some more leverage. If anyone needs a Korg MS2000 or a Rhodes, lemme know.

*looks up to heaven* god, why did I have to go an screw up my credit?

*god replies* "hey stupid, you did itbuying gear!"

Zeppelin4Life
re-cappin' neve

Post by Zeppelin4Life » Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:44 pm

check out the peavey classic series. they sound great loud and are not too $. the classic 30 is $400 I believe and can be upgraded to celestion speakers and JJ tubes easily. THen you what a great amp for practice and small gigs. Actually, it could cover a medium gig. its quite loud. the distortion is very AC30ish
?I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.?
David L
KC2UUM
RadioReference.com Admin, Albany NY

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:24 pm

Find yourself a used Mesa Blue Angel head. It sounds like a blend of a Bassman and an AC30. Great amp.

lonesome_tone
takin' a dinner break

Post by lonesome_tone » Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:52 pm

I second that emotion on the Peavey classic - don't buy one of the new import ones, search for the older, Made in USA ones. Last time I looked for an amp it was hard to resist the Classic 50s everyone seemed to have for around 4 bills (30s would be cheaper used, of course). I do currently have the 30 and it sounds really good. I agree that it does sound Vox-ish, but it goes way beyond mere breakup into Marshall territory thanks to the boost channel. Seperately, the mid-boost switch is what really makes it sing as a Vox-esque amp. Decent reverb. Its pretty loud for its size, it would be just enough to do medium gigs with (not so much a problem covering a room, but when I was playing with a kinda-loud drummer it had to be turned up almost all the way).

I need to nominate another amp as well, the Fender Prosonic. Comes in a head or a 2x10 combo for around 5 bills. It is without a doubt a fantastic deal in a made in usa, class a/ab switchable with tube rectifier, 60/30 watt amp. It has terrific active eq. It goes from Fender/Vox Clean to Mesa Rectifier distortion. It is probably the meanest amp Fender has ever produced. It was very expensive new (they were marketing it, more or less, as a boutique amp) and somewhat un-Fenderlike, so it was something of a sales failure. It totally stands with the best stuff I've played, which includes Plexis, Top Hats, Ac-30s, and my silverface Twin. I bought it unseen/unheard on ebay, paired it with a 4x12 greenback cab and I have been very very happy with the choice.

Zeppelin4Life
re-cappin' neve

Post by Zeppelin4Life » Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:01 pm

lonesome_tone wrote:I second that emotion on the Peavey classic - don't buy one of the new import ones, search for the older, Made in USA ones. Last time I looked for an amp it was hard to resist the Classic 50s everyone seemed to have for around 4 bills (30s would be cheaper used, of course). I do currently have the 30 and it sounds really good. I agree that it does sound Vox-ish, but it goes way beyond mere breakup into Marshall territory thanks to the boost channel. Seperately, the mid-boost switch is what really makes it sing as a Vox-esque amp. Decent reverb. Its pretty loud for its size, it would be just enough to do medium gigs with (not so much a problem covering a room, but when I was playing with a kinda-loud drummer it had to be turned up almost all the way).

I need to nominate another amp as well, the Fender Prosonic. Comes in a head or a 2x10 combo for around 5 bills. It is without a doubt a fantastic deal in a made in usa, class a/ab switchable with tube rectifier, 60/30 watt amp. It has terrific active eq. It goes from Fender/Vox Clean to Mesa Rectifier distortion. It is probably the meanest amp Fender has ever produced. It was very expensive new (they were marketing it, more or less, as a boutique amp) and somewhat un-Fenderlike, so it was something of a sales failure. It totally stands with the best stuff I've played, which includes Plexis, Top Hats, Ac-30s, and my silverface Twin. I bought it unseen/unheard on ebay, paired it with a 4x12 greenback cab and I have been very very happy with the choice.
The reason a lot of the 50s werent that mch more money than the 30s when I bought mine was because of shipping. it was damn expensive! but I dont know, that was back in the day. I really dislike the stock speaker, but anything celestion really sings. Greenbacks or Vintage 30 in particular. Great recording amp. the clean channel is also very nice
?I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.?
David L
KC2UUM
RadioReference.com Admin, Albany NY

spankenstein
re-cappin' neve

Post by spankenstein » Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:11 pm

The Traynor YCV20 and YCV40 are really nice.

I have a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe that I am completely in love with.

The Peavey Classics are really good. Especially for as cheap as they come.

Antero
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Antero » Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:22 pm

The Carvin Nomad and the Laney VC30 are both pretty damn good, especially for the cash. Peavey Classic is also cool, but the Nomad is the exact same niche but better QC.

An old Bassman is a pretty good strategy, too.
I hate my species.
Spatata
Chuckie Anvil

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:28 pm

Meriphew wrote:Find yourself a used Mesa Blue Angel head. It sounds like a blend of a Bassman and an AC30. Great amp.
quite possibly the only Mesa I like. Curious, cus I basicly have, with the chassis out, a Vox speaker cab.

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:41 pm

I second the silverface Bassman. Great amp in its own right. Purists will get pissed off, but from what I hear, the Bassman is an easily modified design. I have seen mods that sound close to Marshalls, I'd bet someone has done a vox-ish mod.
not to worry, just keep tracking....