CG200 - Optical Compressor

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
atdunlap
alignin' 24-trk

CG200 - Optical Compressor

Post by atdunlap » Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:04 pm

Has anyone ever used a (gasp) Carvin CG200 Optical Compressor? I was thinking like a couple of years back about getting one, but now am again shopping for two channels of compression (most likely for vocal and bass) and it's looking pretty appealing as a different "flavor". I'm also a college student and don't have a whole lot to spend so $200 looks very good. For compression I currently have an Alesis CLX-440 and an RNC. Has anyone ever used the Carvin unit or have any other suggestions for around the same price?

http://www.carvin.com/products/single.p ... 0&CID=PROC

Thanks,
Andrew
When in doubt, try it anyway... it just might work.

lonesome_tone
takin' a dinner break

Re: CG200 - Optical Compressor

Post by lonesome_tone » Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:19 pm

Check out an ART Pro VLA. I haven't used one but they seem to be pretty popular here, where you'd think ART would be summarily dismissed.

Glory_Morris
takin' a dinner break

Post by Glory_Morris » Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:26 pm

I know this might be a little out of your price range, but I was just looking at a phenominal deal (BTW I'm in the same boat, only I have about 50 cents). Its the SM Pro Audio 8 channel optical compressor. Its only about $649 list. I haven't really been able to find any good user reviews yet though. I use a behringer, which only cost me about $100 or so. I use it very sparingly (because its behringer) only mostly for limiting to prevent peaking. I do most of the compression in Audiodesk.

atdunlap
alignin' 24-trk

Post by atdunlap » Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:57 pm

Yeah, I suppose I don't even *need* more compression, I just really think it would be handy to have about two more channels and would really like to play around with some opto compression sometime. Unfortunately, that's way out of my league right now and I don't need that many channels. The other thing is that whatever I get would have to be sturdy as it *would* get used live at times and I would much rather not play with fire buy having tubes in it. As much as I would love to play with some... :wink: Thus why I haven't really considered the VLA. BTW, I think I have asked before, but why does everyone avoid Carvin like the plague and not treat it as a "valid" pro sound company when we endorse companies like Behr*nger... I've never understood that. Thanks guys.
Andrew

wardshorsehead
buyin' gear

Post by wardshorsehead » Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:28 pm

atdunlap
alignin' 24-trk

Post by atdunlap » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:16 pm

Thanks, I knew I had seen a post about them on here before, but couldn't find it for the life of me. Thanks man.

Andrew