Purple Audio

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Re: Purple Audio

Post by soundguy » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:23 am

saving a discussion about ethics which nobody probably can give a shit about anyway, if youve ever held those OSA things in your hand and looked at the construction quality, I positively guarantee you that if anyone on this board decided to start building their own gear within a year they could be making something that is on par with the quality you get from OSA. After about a year you'll also be able to rip off other peoples designs just like them too. And if I was API, Id consider doing exactly the same thing with changing the card length... If you are on a budget, I suppose that company presents a viable solution.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

frais_cafe
audio school

Post by frais_cafe » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:43 am

Chris,

Thanks. I know -- what I meant was the whole format, that they were all made to fit a certain "footprint" if you will, that they could be interchangable. Now, because API changed it, they're not. It was really a sidenote. Sorry - I should have made that clearer.

It's just that I'm going this way for compatibility's sake, and now it doesn't make as much sense as it would have before API changed their "footprint". It's all still pin-compatible, but it just urks me. And yes, I do understand API's viewpoint of not being able to ensure compatibility and their products safety, and that it's at the users risk. To me, I would rather see a little bit of working together seeing as it's something that could benefit so many people, manufacturers included.

Sorry...rant over. :) Hope that clears up what I meant in that little bit there.

But, back to the questions I asked, I've never held it in my hand and, yeah, I'm on a bit of a budget. I e-mailed OSA a while back and they're willing to fix their racks to work for any user finding that the new API boards don't fit.

Anyway, thanks. I've never used them yet. They just seemed a good option. I'm glad more people are making more pre's for this format and I'll definately look into the Purple Biz cards.

Jean-Pierre

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:52 am

frais_cafe wrote:Thanks. I know -- what I meant was the whole format, that they were all made to fit a certain "footprint" if you will, that they could be interchangable. Now, because API changed it, they're not. It was really a sidenote. Sorry - I should have made that clearer.
I don't think API's changed anything size-wise. I have 1970s API modules right next to three year-old API modules in an Averill rack with no problems whatsoever. I know many people who've had issues with OSA stuff because they DID change the length of their cards a couple years ago. I don't know why they did this. Unless API has done this in the REALLY recent past, I don't think there';s any sort of issue with APIs card size compatibilty concerning the non-Legacy 500-series.

There are many different types of API modules designed to fit a couple of different consoles. A currently-made 550L module, for example, was designed for the Legacy and Legacy Plus consoles and will not fit in a 500-series rack. The 550S modules were designed for compatibility with the Sony 3000-series consoles and will also not fit in a 500-series rack. Aside from that, all the currently made 550Bs, 560Bs, 512Cs, 525Cs, etc. will fit in any API or Averill 500-series-type rack or vintage API console, I believe.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

frais_cafe
audio school

Post by frais_cafe » Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:54 pm

Chris,

Thanks for the post. I've read on different boards about this now. (Gearslutz, Recording.org, TapeOp if I remember right) From what I've read, it always seemed that API changed their stuff pretty recently. For example, people who had OSA and Brent Averill racks were buying new 500 series pre's and had to modify them to fit. (i.e. shave off part of the end or stick an extra piece of metal in the front where the screws go in) Apparently part of it was that the Pre's don't quite fit anymore, but the EQ's do (for now)

If I've gotten this wrong, I'm sorry. I didn't know that OSA changed their format at all. I e-mailed both Atlas Pro Audio and OSA directly asking them about it and they didn't know anything about the pre's being different sizes but that, if I'd gotten one and it was, that they would fix it. They said all that they'd tried had worked.

This must be a recent thing, but it wasn't just one guy saying it, it was a few. Since I'd been looking seriously at going this way for versatility's sake, it really concerned me. I'll look into the Averill racks instead then, seeing as you've had success.

Again, if I've made a mistake, sorry. But from all I've read API had recently changed their racks and the Mic Pre's (500 Series) to be slightly longer.

Thanks again for the help and the info on OSA. I'll definately look into the Averill racks.

Cheers,

Jean-Pierre

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:16 pm

soundguy wrote:saving a discussion about ethics which nobody probably can give a shit about anyway, if youve ever held those OSA things in your hand and looked at the construction quality, I positively guarantee you that if anyone on this board decided to start building their own gear within a year they could be making something that is on par with the quality you get from OSA. After about a year you'll also be able to rip off other peoples designs just like them too. And if I was API, Id consider doing exactly the same thing with changing the card length... If you are on a budget, I suppose that company presents a viable solution.

dave
What the @#$%..! :shock: I had my eyes set on the OSA racks, pre-amps. So exactly what's the deal on this? This was my main purpose of becoming modular, to be able to have an assortment of different "affordable", good pre's at my disposal! This sucks ( if it is like this ). Oh, well... back to the "ole drawing board"!... :evil:

frais_cafe
audio school

Post by frais_cafe » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:51 pm

I'm checking now with API and Brent Averill to make sure there aren't any problems and will post what I hear back on this board. It'd really suck if you can't use them all in the same racks, but so as to dispel any myths that I've heard and posted here, I'm making sure "from the Horse's Mouth."

Jean-Pierre

kellyd
pluggin' in mics

Post by kellyd » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:53 pm

API has not changed the length of their cards. I have a BAE lunchbox w/
BAE 312As, brand new API 512C and 560B and 2 OSAs. All fit fine. The problem was that API screwed up their lunchboxes at some point within the last 2 yrs. Not sure if it was a production run or if it's permanent. I had an API 6B box and all vintage API, BAE and OSA were not long enough. I returned it and bought the BAE. I expected when I bought the 512C and 560B that they would be too long for the BAE box but they fit just as well as the other cards. No problems. I can't guarantee the API boxes though.
As far as OSA, they are not built all that well. Compare it to a BAE 312A or an API. No comparison. I'm very interesed in the Purple Audio cards. They make quality gear.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:28 pm

You should really check out the discrete opamps. Holy hell my console sounds amazing with those jammers in the tape path. Seriously insanely good. I had hardy 990's in there before, and this is a different ballgame altogether. Wow. The purple opamps are not potted so "you should never have to throw one out" as they say on the purple site. True though. If a hardy cooks, you have to toss it. Smae with any of the potted opamps. not Purple. Totally 100% discrete circuitry hangin out on a little board just a tiny bit bigger than the 990c. Awesome.

djgout
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by djgout » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:33 pm

cgarges wrote:
Jeff Robinson wrote: and peanut butter sandwiches without jelly.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

yeah jelly is for weirdos.long live peanut butter sandwhiches!!!!

-justin
justin herlocker
grindengineering (at) gmail (dot) com

soundguy

Post by soundguy » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:17 am

snatchman wrote:
soundguy wrote:saving a discussion about ethics which nobody probably can give a shit about anyway, if youve ever held those OSA things in your hand and looked at the construction quality, I positively guarantee you that if anyone on this board decided to start building their own gear within a year they could be making something that is on par with the quality you get from OSA. After about a year you'll also be able to rip off other peoples designs just like them too. And if I was API, Id consider doing exactly the same thing with changing the card length... If you are on a budget, I suppose that company presents a viable solution.

dave
What the @#$%..! :shock: I had my eyes set on the OSA racks, pre-amps. So exactly what's the deal on this? This was my main purpose of becoming modular, to be able to have an assortment of different "affordable", good pre's at my disposal! This sucks ( if it is like this ). Oh, well... back to the "ole drawing board"!... :evil:

Look, if you ever get into building your own gear, chances are you will laugh heartily at the OSA construction and shake your head at the gaul behind that company. Its really not difficult to build something with quality in mind, but dont let me try to suggest that to this industry. If you record at home and use these things yourself, lightly, chances are you'll be fine. I wouldnt spend a dime on those things, but they are cheap-ish, but you do get what you pay for. Before I started building my own stuff, that OSA stuff seemed viable and now with a predominantly custom built studio, that stuff seems laughable to me, I would never think of offering such crap in a commercial form, they are built to a price point and nothing else. If you keep that in mind and buy accordingly, there shouldnt be any suprises, you get what you pay for. Compare the construction of that garbage to the construction of a real API unit and then compare the price of the two. There is a gaping anomoly between the construction difference and price difference of the two. Im sure you could make a good recording with either (or anything for that matter) if you have the skills.

dave

Bear's Gone Fission
gettin' sounds

Post by Bear's Gone Fission » Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:34 pm

Joel Hamilton wrote:You should really check out the discrete opamps. Holy hell my console sounds amazing with those jammers in the tape path. Seriously insanely good. I had hardy 990's in there before, and this is a different ballgame altogether. Wow. The purple opamps are not potted so "you should never have to throw one out" as they say on the purple site. True though. If a hardy cooks, you have to toss it. Smae with any of the potted opamps. not Purple. Totally 100% discrete circuitry hangin out on a little board just a tiny bit bigger than the 990c. Awesome.
How much a pop?

And I understand Hardy hasn't used an epoxy potting compound in years - it doesn't have the same thermal expansion characteristics as the components or some such, leading to physical failure. (I believe API continues to use an epoxy.) I was under the impression that the material used in the Hardys was removable, though I could be wrong. If you have a dead one, I'd certainly give him a call to check before tossing it.

Bear

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:00 pm

Joel Hamilton wrote:You should really check out the discrete opamps. Holy hell my console sounds amazing with those jammers in the tape path. Seriously insanely good. I had hardy 990's in there before, and this is a different ballgame altogether. Wow. The purple opamps are not potted so "you should never have to throw one out" as they say on the purple site. True though. If a hardy cooks, you have to toss it. Smae with any of the potted opamps. not Purple. Totally 100% discrete circuitry hangin out on a little board just a tiny bit bigger than the 990c. Awesome.
Call me clueless (or worse) but aren't the 990s actually Jensens?

soundguy

Post by soundguy » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:08 pm

Jeff Robinson wrote: Call me clueless (or worse) but aren't the 990s actually Jensens?
the originals were based on them, yes.

dave

i am monster face
buyin' gear

Post by i am monster face » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:31 pm

Now, I may get shit on for asking this. I don't know though, so I thought I'd ask.
On the MC77 page, HERE, it says "available in Bomb Factory Plug-in". Now, I have that. But I also want this bitchin' piece of equiptment for my rack. Ummm...is it worth $1600 to buy this? I mean...they're pitching it on their website...so wouldn't...that...I don't know.

Am I right in assuming this? Or just dumb.

Ian

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:41 am

i wish they'd do an LA3 thing.

Mike