my bass cab goes rattle rattle . . .

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
bmsander
ass engineer

my bass cab goes rattle rattle . . .

Post by bmsander » Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:33 am

It's a Mesa Boogie 2X15.

It's not the grill or the handles, and the speakers are secure as far as I can tell. I'm pretty sure it's coming from the bottom of the bass cab itself. Would it be heresy to just start screwing in screws to tighten this bitch down (pilot holes first, of course)??????

b

Scodiddly
cryogenically thawing

Re: my bass cab goes rattle rattle . . .

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:35 pm

Wheels?

Or you might make sure the drivers and other internal stuff are still bolted down solidly.

Besides, if you want to fix any loose seams you want to get inside so you can drip glue into said seams.

covert
pushin' record

Post by covert » Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:43 am

bmsander wrote:It's a Mesa Boogie 2X15.

It's not the grill or the handles, and the speakers are secure as far as I can tell. I'm pretty sure it's coming from the bottom of the bass cab itself. Would it be heresy to just start screwing in screws to tighten this bitch down (pilot holes first, of course)?????? b
Check the casters
"when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

Coco
re-cappin' neve

Post by Coco » Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:18 am

I would also say check the casters and speaker bolts. Could be the cabinet itself though. Happened to us once. Buzzy cabinet kept driving us nuts! Checked the handles, checked the speakers, checked the jackplate on the back. It was the cabinet itself. A shitty old Yamaha made out of particle board, just started to disintigrate over the years.
I know enough to know that I don't know what I am doing.

Generals and Majors http://www.myspace.com/generalsandmajors

dr.ona
takin' a dinner break

Post by dr.ona » Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:11 am

believe it or not i had a similiar problem in my 1960s sunn cabinet and it was the speaker cord inside the cabinet rattling around.
"My 75 jazz bass turned me into a hunchback"

takeout
steve albini likes it

Post by takeout » Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:11 am

I have this Ampeg 1x15 cabinet. About three years ago it just started farting at me. Better on some notes, worse on others (whatever was close to the resonant peak of the cab). I wrapped cables between handles, shimmed the speaker grill, everything, but nothing helped. Finally I took off the grill and did some 'sperimentin'.

Turned out it was the baffle board. The groove it sat in wasn't a tight enough fit, and the board would rattle around. I had to inject Titebond into the gap while prying it open with toothpicks hammered into the spaces. It worked though; that thing is tighter than a [generic derogatory comment regarding female genitalia] now.

Here's your test: remove the grill, and start playing. Find a note that makes it sound REALLY bad. Play that note and start pushing against the baffle board with your foot to see if you can make the rattle stop. If you can, then you need to employ similar measures or dump the cabinet, personal ethics depending.