expectations of a protools op

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
psychicoctopus
buyin' a studio

expectations of a protools op

Post by psychicoctopus » Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:54 am

I may have an opportunity for a gig as a protools operator in a couple of months. I've used protools many times, but I'm curious about what is expected, in general, from a protools operator in a professional situation. Can you lay down the parameters for me?
Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols

sonikbliss
buyin' a studio

Re: expectations of a protools op

Post by sonikbliss » Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:32 am

it really depends on what your using it for. I'm guessing it's in relation to music recording/mixing. All I can tell you is if you're working with rap guys just know how to fly the hook in to all the choruses and they'll love you. :D

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:45 am

Every day is different, so you have to know everything. Seriously. One day someone will say: I need to lock this drum machine to tape and then dump it into protools without losing TC at any point. Then someone will want to copy all the chorus's. Then someone will bring in a PC formatted drive, and you have to know how to get around that.... Just be prepared for anything. Know all the quick keys for even the more obscure operations. Even just knowing how to fan out the outputs is a huge timesaver. You should be waiting on the client/producer, rather than the other way around. you should be done with your edit or output assignments before the client asks for the next move.

Be quick about everything, and feel out how the people like to work. Be their hands unless you know a better way to achieve what you know they are going for.

All of this applies to being an engineer, rather than being exclusive to pro tools, BTW.

Be a heads up engineer and people will come back to you. Present someones art in a nice light and they will come back to you.

Everybody grows together if you are doing your job.

ValveTone Mastering
pluggin' in mics

Post by ValveTone Mastering » Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:22 am

Joel Hamilton wrote:Even just knowing how to fan out the outputs is a huge timesaver.
Joel,

What do you mean exactly (I know what I THINK you mean)? Damnit, is there some quick key for this that I've missed all these years? Well, I learn a new one from every engineer that comes through the studio, so, what's one more...

Damon
Damon Whittemore
ValveTone Mastering - www.valvetone.com
TriTone Digital - www.tritonedigital.com
Dead Aunt Thelmas - www.thelmas.com/studio.html

sonikbliss
buyin' a studio

Post by sonikbliss » Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:54 am

ValveTone Mastering wrote:
Joel Hamilton wrote:Even just knowing how to fan out the outputs is a huge timesaver.
Joel,

What do you mean exactly (I know what I THINK you mean)? Damnit, is there some quick key for this that I've missed all these years? Well, I learn a new one from every engineer that comes through the studio, so, what's one more...

Damon

option + command

fan out I/O, works with Inputs, Outputs, Busses

shift + option

set all selected tracks to same, works with Inputs, Outputs, Busses, Inserting Plugins

ValveTone Mastering
pluggin' in mics

Post by ValveTone Mastering » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:56 am

Well, you learn something new everyday! I knew the assign all keystroke, but this is a good one too!

D
Damon Whittemore

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:55 am

ValveTone Mastering wrote:Well, you learn something new everyday!
Not true. Two weeks ago Wednesday, I learned nothing.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

ValveTone Mastering
pluggin' in mics

Post by ValveTone Mastering » Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:25 pm

dwlb wrote:
ValveTone Mastering wrote:Well, you learn something new everyday!
Not true. Two weeks ago Wednesday, I learned nothing.
Well, you should have learned something! Fucking waste of a day my man. You should get a refund.

D
Damon Whittemore

Family Hoof
buyin' a studio

Post by Family Hoof » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:53 pm

The one time I was offered a gig as PT OP for this R&B producer the only questions he asked were "are you fast?" and "how fast?", assuming that I already knew the software well. I'd say that knowing the keyboard commands and one key shortcuts (key command focus) for just about everything is a good skill to have. My impression of people who hire a PT OP is that they want it to seem fast, smooth, and invisible while they're free to tackle other producing/engineering tasks and relate more with the artists.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:57 pm

Family Hoof wrote:My impression of people who hire a PT OP is that they want it to seem fast, smooth, and invisible while they're free to tackle other producing/engineering tasks and relate more with the artists.
Yup, but isn't fast, smooth, invisible what engineers are supposed to do anyway?
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Family Hoof
buyin' a studio

Post by Family Hoof » Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:07 pm

dwlb wrote:
Family Hoof wrote:My impression of people who hire a PT OP is that they want it to seem fast, smooth, and invisible while they're free to tackle other producing/engineering tasks and relate more with the artists.
Yup, but isn't fast, smooth, invisible what engineers are supposed to do anyway?
:^: That's what I've heard.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:03 pm

sonikbliss wrote:
option + command

fan out I/O, works with Inputs, Outputs, Busses

shift + option

set all selected tracks to same, works with Inputs, Outputs, Busses, Inserting Plugins
gold. thank you.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:23 pm

You know that control>[select another output] is the mult in pro tools right? you can send the smae thing to two different channels. If the snare is already coming out channel 3, for instance. Hold down control and select output 24. Now the snare is coming out of both, and phase coherent.