Natural chorus!

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Natural chorus!

Post by inverseroom » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:34 am

My wife and I favor the old-fashioned, heavy kind of telephone, so we've always used a couple of rotary dial types in the house. Now, however, we're getting cable telephone, which is half the price of AT&T--but we can't dial out with rotary. So I bought an old red early touch-tone on eBay, the kind that has a keypad built into the old-style housing, and hooked it up in parallel with our beloved black rotary (which we can still answer). The phones both contain metal bells and sit five feet apart.

Then somebody called. The ring tones are incrementally different both in pitch and timing, and the result is an ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS natural chorus. WOW!!!! I'm totally thrilled. I get to hear this sound several times a day.

Any natural chorus/flange/phase effects in your life?

psychicoctopus
buyin' a studio

Re: Natural chorus!

Post by psychicoctopus » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:47 am

I like the sound of tires on grooved pavement with a steady V8 engine at 70 MPH. Some day I'll figure out how to recreate this sound electronically.
Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:02 pm

There are two automated parking-payment machines at my office, side by side. They both play the same digital recording of a woman saying "Take this paid ticket with you; you will need it to exit the garage." Sometimes two people will get their ticket spit out at them at almost exactly the same time and you hear the two voices flange a little. More often it's not that close and you just hear a delay.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:51 pm

when I'm at the toy store I hit every talking toy in sight as fast as possible..then I yell out for all the toys to listen and do my bidding..people think I'm crazy but im just joshing them..

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:55 pm

I live in New Mexico near the Sandia Mountains and when it thunders you can hear the thunder echoing through the canyons and foothills creating a chorus effect that I don't think I'll ever be able to capture on MD.

It's truly amazing.

djdrake13
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by djdrake13 » Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:15 pm

When I'm hookin up with two girls, sometimes they moan at the same time and I get a chorus effect...
LMAO!!
Shut up and Strip Productions
"Always Hiring"

0xeneye
pushin' record

Post by 0xeneye » Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:04 pm

Sometimes before making coffee, I'll fill the stainless steel saucepan with a little water, tap it, then swirl the water around. It a weird ding sound that modulates as the water vibrates.

Also, my gutters are clogged and rain drips on these empty metal garbage cans all night, and I really like that white noise....
0x

bluetarp
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by bluetarp » Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:02 pm

I live near a naval airbase. The sub chasers are big ol' four-prop planes that do excersises all the time over my house. This time of year, if the air is still and the temp below zero, I swear you can hear the individual prop blades slicing the air up there.
Perspective is nine tenths of perception.

TheStevens
pushin' record

Post by TheStevens » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:07 pm

0xeneye wrote:Sometimes before making coffee, I'll fill the stainless steel saucepan with a little water, tap it, then swirl the water around. It a weird ding sound that modulates as the water vibrates.
Yeah, that's a cool sound!
BWOIIIOOIIOIOIOOINNNGGGGGG :o

lifeintime
gettin' sounds

Post by lifeintime » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:24 pm

I drive several times a week over the "singing bridge". It is cast concrete with cut grooves running perpendicular to the roadway. Different speed = different pitch. Sounds way, way cool. I-10 south at exit 114, Jackrabbit Road about 8 miles to the Gila River (bottom). Hard to miss.
What? No Gravy???

soundcloud.com/LifeInTimeMusic

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:47 am

0xeneye wrote:Sometimes before making coffee, I'll fill the stainless steel saucepan with a little water, tap it, then swirl the water around. It a weird ding sound that modulates as the water vibrates.
I love that. The other thing to do is float a pan lid in water, strike the edge with a mallet and push the lid up and down in the water to change the pitch. I did a whole sound design based on those sounds. The director loved it so much, and I didn't have the heart to tell her it was all saucepans in my bathtub.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

nipsy
pushin' record

Post by nipsy » Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:06 am

when my three year old & one year old get into it over some toy....talk about a super wah heavy on the chorus!

logancircle
tinnitus

Post by logancircle » Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:06 am

Oh yeah, bridges are incredible. You have one car going 50, one 50.5, one 53, the effect is terrific. I have a minidisk I listen to, recorded from under a really long, tall bridge that was like whales talking through a fan or some shit.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Studio and Field Recorder in NYC.
I like dirt.
IG: stormydanielson

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Devlars
re-cappin' neve

Post by Devlars » Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:35 am

You know I often wonder what it is exactly that causes natural phasing in mundane things that I hear in normal atmospheres. I often notice that at certain times, which seem indiscriminate and random, while fidgetting with paper in my hands it will often sound as though it has a phaser effect placed on it when the paper crumples or bends. Quite odd actually and I can't quite figure out why that happens but it's a welcome oddity. Also there is a song off the A Hard Days Night album (sorry can't remember the song and I don't have the album in front of me) which during one of Ringos drum rolls you can hear it flange or phase a bit. It's really cool but I wonder what caused that as I'm fairly certain that it wasn't an effect added post production.
"Yes, you're very smart. Now shut up."
-Peter Falk
Speakerphone
Rexrode Records

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:31 am

My two kids crying in two different rooms. It is kinda cool sounding, only its your kids and they're crying.

For unreal chorus the Boss CE-1 is my favorite.
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."