ACDC - Thunderstuck

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Zeppelin4Life
re-cappin' neve

ACDC - Thunderstuck

Post by Zeppelin4Life » Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:17 pm

Even though I am not a fan of Brians voice on this track (or the album for that matter) the recording and the instrumentals are perfect. That guitar solo on 'Thunderstuck' is amazingly well recorded and it fits perfectly right in the mix. but there is reverb on everything. does anyone know info on the session, what mics, pres, etc, thanks

Dave
?I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.?
David L
KC2UUM
RadioReference.com Admin, Albany NY

DryCounty
buyin' a studio

Re: ACDC - Thunderstuck

Post by DryCounty » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:15 pm

Don't have any info for you but that intro slays me every time....

....THUN-DER!!!!

The drums sound slightly dated but all in all an excellent production.
"I would imagine that the inside of a bottle of cleaning fluid is fucking clean." -Hedberg
-----
Tulsa Drone
Dry County Records ? Richmond, Virginia
twitter: drycounty

takeout
steve albini likes it

Post by takeout » Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:19 am

Gated. Reverb. RULES. I very much want to see it come back. Fuck "natural" drums; give me CANNONS.

Ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-AH-ah-ah, indeed.

d-bolan
gettin' sounds

Post by d-bolan » Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:30 am

All I can say about the Razor's Edge recording and on Thunderstruck in particular is that it sounds like they did the old Mutt Lang trick on the gang vocals. This trick involves recording two tracks of whispering shouts, then adding reverb and hard-panning them. It makes it sound like a huge crowd. I think that albums awesome. Fire Your Guns is amazing. Money Talks is Amazing. Mistress for Christmas. Oh man. I'm going to watch my AC/DC DVD I got for christmas
call me rabbit fighter

YOUR KONG
buyin' a studio

Post by YOUR KONG » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:52 am

d-bolan wrote:All I can say about the Razor's Edge recording and on Thunderstruck in particular is that it sounds like they did the old Mutt Lang trick on the gang vocals. This trick involves recording two tracks of whispering shouts, then adding reverb and hard-panning them. It makes it sound like a huge crowd. I think that albums awesome. Fire Your Guns is amazing. Money Talks is Amazing. Mistress for Christmas. Oh man. I'm going to watch my AC/DC DVD I got for christmas
Ah, so THAT'S how they did that!!! Now these whispered shouts go on top of the regular vocals? Or is it just whispered shouts? (don't have any Def Leppard handy to check...)

takeout
steve albini likes it

Post by takeout » Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:00 pm

King Kong Kitchie Kitchie wrote:
d-bolan wrote:All I can say about the Razor's Edge recording and on Thunderstruck in particular is that it sounds like they did the old Mutt Lang trick on the gang vocals. This trick involves recording two tracks of whispering shouts, then adding reverb and hard-panning them. It makes it sound like a huge crowd. I think that albums awesome. Fire Your Guns is amazing. Money Talks is Amazing. Mistress for Christmas. Oh man. I'm going to watch my AC/DC DVD I got for christmas
Ah, so THAT'S how they did that!!! Now these whispered shouts go on top of the regular vocals? Or is it just whispered shouts? (don't have any Def Leppard handy to check...)
Just Add Compression. Lots of it. Daisy-chain if you have to.

fraze666
audio school

Post by fraze666 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:19 pm

heh heh, nope, we didin't do the "Mutt" thing,(though that pretty much is how you get that BV sound) That was just the way the band sounds. I think we quadrupled the singing so maybe that's why it sounds like whispers.

The intro Angus gtr track, e actually played the whole way through the song in ONE take! It was an awesome sight, with a cig hanging outta his mouth and the ol'fingers a flying.

DryCounty
buyin' a studio

Post by DryCounty » Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:12 am

:shock:
fraze666 wrote:heh heh, nope, we didin't do the "Mutt" thing,(though that pretty much is how you get that BV sound) That was just the way the band sounds. I think we quadrupled the singing so maybe that's why it sounds like whispers.

The intro Angus gtr track, e actually played the whole way through the song in ONE take! It was an awesome sight, with a cig hanging outta his mouth and the ol'fingers a flying.
:o

An excellent example of just why I'm totally addicted to this board!! I've always loved that intro, it's one of my all time favorites.
Last edited by DryCounty on Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I would imagine that the inside of a bottle of cleaning fluid is fucking clean." -Hedberg
-----
Tulsa Drone
Dry County Records ? Richmond, Virginia
twitter: drycounty

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:31 am

"The drums sound slightly dated."

and I'm slightly losing my hair.

albini for ac/dc 2005!

Mike

waitingroom
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by waitingroom » Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:42 am

Brings back memories of all the kids in my high school guitar class pain-stakingly trying to play the intro on an acoustic guitar, picking the notes out one by one with no hammer ons or pull-offs.

Spark
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Spark » Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:43 am

bigtoe wrote:albini for ac/dc 2005!

Mike
I'll second this motion.

takeout
steve albini likes it

Post by takeout » Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:40 am

The Spark wrote:
bigtoe wrote:albini for ac/dc 2005!

Mike
I'll second this motion.
I won't. I can think of nothing worse than to pair this band with that engineer.

Unless Bob Rock is producing.

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:37 am

I heard Mutt would sometimes run BG vocals through a marshall amp and blend it in too.

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:11 am

Slider wrote:I heard Mutt would sometimes run BG vocals through a marshall amp and blend it in too.
I heard that he would sometimes run guitars into a toaster, set it to high, and record it with five Neumann U87s with his own custom Decca Tree setup, and run the submix through 8 dbx 160s and a waffle iron.

Zeppelin4Life
re-cappin' neve

Post by Zeppelin4Life » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:16 pm

fraze666 wrote:heh heh, nope, we didin't do the "Mutt" thing,(though that pretty much is how you get that BV sound) That was just the way the band sounds. I think we quadrupled the singing so maybe that's why it sounds like whispers.

:worthy: amazing! welcome! can you remember what the compressors were like. I dont mean like exact settings, but what types were used, etc. something about that whole album sings so well

and yes the intro to thunderstruck rocks. its a really hard technique to be able to do it with no picking and not hitting a bunch of wrong strings but once you get it its a lot of fun :D
?I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.?
David L
KC2UUM
RadioReference.com Admin, Albany NY